Is this normal?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
My surgery was 11/23/15 so I am just shy of 2 mos post op. I still can only get down 2 oz. of protein. My NUT told me to add veggies/starch/fruit in that order when I "had room". I am still full after 2 oz. protein so I can't add anything yet........I have been looking at other posts and diaries and most people out the same amount of time or LESS are already adding veggies/ starch and fruits........should I be concerned that I still get full so easily?

Replies

• gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No, each person is different. Even two months out, protein should come first. I am nearly six months, and I am still protein first, everything else if I can. I say if I can, because most times my protein is all I can do.

On my program, starches and fruits are to be kept to a minimum, especially the starches.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ride the protein wave as long as you can deal with it. Meaning you may eventually get tired of eating just the protein. Maintaining protein first is the new rule you will always follow. It is how the weight comes off, and you stay healthy. I am 7 months out and learned over the holidays that I can eat more food if I don't do protein first. BUT... I didn't loose weight, in fact I started going the other way. Over the last two weeks, I am putting protein the priority and filling up on that, and the weight is going back the other way. Protein is our new best friend, and it will treat you well on the WLS. Keep up the good work. :)
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No need to worry, focus on protein first, add veggies and fruit as you can, but as long as you are drinking fluids and taking your vitamins you are fine.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back! I am just starting to add some vegetables but when I say add it is a leaf of lettuce maybe 1 boiled carrot. I did have a few zucchini noodles last night with meat sauce and I did well with them. I am at about a 1/2 cup of food in total. I still don't eat everything on my plate but I do eat my protein first. My nut. wants me to be at 40g of carbs and at first I thought there is no way but I am getting there. As stated above we are all different and as long as you get proteins, water and vits in everything else will come in time.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 months and 2 days out. I eat just under 1/2c of food each meal. Two days ago I added literally 2 thin peeled cucumber slices with a little tzatziki sauce (yogurt and dill). That's ALL I'm doing as far as veggies. My only starches are a few saltines with my chicken salad. Mmm crunchy! lol. Cheese is my easy go to food. It sits sooo well with me!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am 11 months out and still make protein my first priority when eating. Honestly, it's just a good habit to get into because it NEEDS to come first on this type of lifestyle. Even now, I get tired and irritable if I don't get in all of my protein. It's prevalent enough that my husband will shove me toward some cheese cubes if I get cranky because even he recognizes what's happening.

I tend to stack my plates with 65% protein, 30% vegetables and 5% carbs (I eat on baby plates, so it's still not a huge amount of food). Protein ALWAYS comes first, and I try to get down as much of the veggies as possible to help, ahem, MOVE things. Generally, I will try to use the veggies to substitute where I used to have carbs (spiralized zucchini and squash and broccoli slaw make excellent noodle substitutes). Any high carb foods are typically a "luxury" item, and, to be honest, more often than not, I take maybe a bite or two of them and the rest of the serving gets left on the plate.

So even almost a year in, PROTEIN FIRST is still my standard rule. Of course, everyone's body is a bit different, but I'm hesitant to break that pattern because I know that carbs (vs. sweets) were the thing that originally got me into trouble. I don't want to get back into those habits.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Struggling a bit in maintenance, Protein first is clearly the right answer, even when eating more overall calories. If I start with carbs or other non-protein dense items, or have a casserole which has protein but not a lot, the hunger monster is unleashed and I will likely end the day overeating my goal.

Having that 'protein-full' feeling makes a huge difference for me in how hungry I am later.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ditto.