Range of motion issues

Options
Kay you beautiful imgurians, I need advice/guidance.

I broke my arm back in August, and although I started with physio less than a week after surgery, I have not regained full range of motion. Nor will I in the foreseeable future.

For the first 4 months we made great progress in terms of gaining 3-5 degrees each time we measured. Then I stagnated. Upon routine follow up with my surgeon, he discovered extra bone growth/ calcification near the injury site (the break itself healed wonderfully). My next measurement at physio revealed that I had lost 5°, 10°, and 10° in the three movements I was just getting back. My physio therapist says that what's blocking movement isn't a muscle or ligament issue, she can feel the bony protrusion blocking it. (I guess hitting hard matter feels different then just under stretched soft tissue, I'm not a professional, I don't know).

My question is, what can I do in terms of excerising with my busted arm. I cannot straiten it, curl it, or put my Palm downward. I used to love getting my cardio on by boxing but that is out of the question now. Push ups and planks are out. Am I limited to walking and elliptical?

And for anyone who's nosey, I'm going for a CT scan soon and more follow up with the surgeon to find out what can be done and when surgery to remove the extra bone thing will happen.

Replies

• marsdahl
    marsdahl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer by any means! But from my experience, biking and walking are good low-impact cardio. You might be able to also do some strength training with leg presses, body-weight squats and assisted pull ups/dips (if you don't have pain in your arm while doing these), light dumbbell exercises. Bottom line - always try to keep a balance with cardio and strength training, and then once your arm issues clear up, you can add more upper-body to your strength routine. Good luck!
  • lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's a tough place to be. I agree that you'll have to do more lower body exercises to maintain strength. If that girl on imgur can figure out how to knit with no fingers, we can figure out a way for you to exercise with low range of motion. Balance and core work with one of those big balls could be possible for you.
  • HiSkyfish
    HiSkyfish Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? It's fun and super low impact. Don't underestimate the elliptical either. those things will kick your *kitten*.
  • lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    HiSkyfish wrote: »
    What about swimming? It's fun and super low impact. Don't underestimate the elliptical either. those things will kick your *kitten*.

I think the issue is their arm movement, might be hard with the arm being hindered by boney growth. But I'm sure they could figure something out! Good suggestion :)