Going whole hog

Options
tlflag1620
tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
Got the call from the butcher last night- our piggy is ready to pick up :). 200 lb (!) hanging weight. So excited :). It's our first time getting a whole pig. Just wanted to share...

Replies

• erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bet it's extra delicious!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping so! Our mailman has a small farm and raises pigs, among other critters, and had one that hadn't been spoken for, so we decided to take it. He feeds them well (it's winter in NE Ohio, so they couldn't be fully pastured, but they still got a good amount of time outdoors, fresh milk from the cows, and plenty of fruits and veggies, and a small amount of grain to supplement them), obviously no hormones or antibiotics. The part I'm most excited about is the leaf lard :). Gonna try my hand at rendering it at home.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO JEALOUS.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Way to go ! I order 1/2 huge heritage pig each year, and I receive it in 4 deliveries in the form of chops, roasts, nitrate free bacon, sausages without fillers, etc, plus 40 pounds of extra ground pork each year. I get free feet, hocks, head and fat as well, probably more than my share since most other folks don't want those parts. I render my own lard. I'm so happy to hear of others able to do this too! I love my farmers! One time, they made us rillettes.... Delicious!