Doing my first 24 hour fast

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
I had a big steak last night and will not eat again until dinner tonight. So far it's going well. Lots of questions and strange looks from co-workers. Didn't tell my wife because I know she would disapprove but I want to do this for myself.

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    That's a good start, I hope it works out for you!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 5 day cleanse/fast with 3 of my co-workers. It's been tough but we are on day 4 so only one more day to go! We are taking supplements and fiber by Natures Secret. Lots of hot tea (no sweeteners) and a ton of water. Only reason my hubby disapproves is I have been very moody and irritable, lol

So far down 3-4 pounds and ready to go back to serious low carb when we are done. We even have a 3 day Keto plan all ready to do after so we don't pig out and ruin all we've done on the cleanse/fast.

Good luck to you! I think fasts are wonderful!
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @DittoDan ! I'm 19 hours in right now and feeling good. I don't really feel hungry, but I do feel "empty" if that makes any sense. My mind is fine and I'm trying to remember to drink water. I'm hoping that perhaps this might become part of my normal routine. Perhaps once per week I will simply miss breakfast and lunch. That way I can keep my metabolism on it's toes!

I can't imagine doing this for 5 days, but hey, four months ago I couldn't imagine even going 24 hours without eating. My hat is off to you @esaucier17 and your co-workers for going the distance!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the salt.
    I didn't tell my husband when I did a 46 hour fast either. He already thinks I'm weird enough
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Don't forget the salt.
    I didn't tell my husband when I did a 46 hour fast either. He already thinks I'm weird enough

I'm not sure how to consume salt if I'm not eating. Do you think it's ok for just 24 hours? I probably should have done more research before starting out. In typical "me" fashion I've just barreled ahead and figured there wasn't much more to it than simply not eating. Appreciate any advice. I don't see myself going longer than 24 hours; at least not for now.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    typically, broth is a vehicle for salt on a fast
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Don't forget the salt.

I'm not sure how to consume salt if I'm not eating. Do you think it's ok for just 24 hours? I probably should have done more research before starting out. In typical "me" fashion I've just barreled ahead and figured there wasn't much more to it than simply not eating. Appreciate any advice. I don't see myself going longer than 24 hours; at least not for now.

You can have broth on a fast usually, but you can also add some to water or have some salt crystals straight a few times a day.
    Honestly, the absolute easiest way is just to get sodium chloride at the pharmacy. 1000mg per tablet.
    Not eating and drinking all that water and ramping up ketone production is a recipe for major sodium loss.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Thank you. I may go the broth route. It might be nice to have a cup or two during my work day.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Thank you. I may go the broth route. It might be nice to have a cup or two during my work day.

I put a half teaspoon of Lawry's Season salt in a cap. I then lick the tip of my finger, put into salt and eat it. I do this all day (its on my desk here at work).... tastes so good...

Dan
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your fast !

I rarely worry about my salt intake while fasting or eating. I'm fasting today, and had a cup of my homemade chicken bone broth for "supper" tonight. I salted that, but didn't go overboard on the salt, and don't take in salt on it's own. I'm at hour 27 right now. I ate yesterday at supper. I will probably eat tomorrow if I am hungry, at hour 48. I tend to salt most of my food when eating, so wonder if I have just ingested enough on "eating" days to keep me going when not eating ? I don't always have broth when fasting, sometimes just black coffee and water.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Anybody here read "Eat, Stop, Eat" book?