Is feeling flushed normal

Hi all. Been doing low carb (under 30gm) going on my fourth day. Today I'm feeling flushed and my face feels a bit warm. I don't have an cold symptoms. Has anyone else felt this way starting out? Thanks

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    A few people have reported it. Niacin is the only thing that does it to me.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/flushing/

Flushing Associated with Food
    Eating spicy or sour foods can cause facial flushing. This gustatory flushing is caused by a neural reflex involving autonomic neurons carried by the branches of the trigeminal nerve. The flushing may be unilateral.

The flushing of monosodium glutamate (MSG) is controversial. Oral challenge with MSG has failed to provoke flushing in volunteers with a history of MSG flushing. Patients should be encouraged to look beyond MSG at other dietary agents, such as red pepper, other spices, nitrites and sulfites (additives in many foods), thermally hot foods and beverages, and alcohol.5 Scombroid fish poisoning (tuna and mackerel) is caused by the ingestion of fish that was left in a warm temperature for hours. In addition to flushing, patients with scombroid fish poisoning experience sweating, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms are caused by intoxication with histamine, which is believed to be generated by histidine decarboxylation by bacteria in spoiled fish.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    May not be related at all, but since you're new, make sure to get enough sodium. 3000-5000mg a day is recommended. At the higher end in the beginning especially.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I had that too. I don't know what it was, but it's mostly gone away except when I have too much Bulletproof coffee. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I had flushing/sweats during adaptation! I wish I would have increased my sodium back then! It's very likely that's what you need! They do go away eventually though!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    I had it
  • heatherandimran
    heatherandimran Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks so much everyone. I will up the sodium a bit