People Assuming You are Straight

Options
124»

Replies

• pammyd137
    pammyd137 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I never blink on anyone's gaydar. I am definitely a girly lesbian. When someone finds out I'm gay it is like they have seen a ghost. My favorite comeback is, "but... you wear makeup and dresses...?"

I would say the worst part about everyone assuming I am straight is that no one asks me out here! Super sad. I miss going out on dates. Anyone in east TN? ;)
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people assuming that I am straight. I mind them vomiting out ignorance and hate when I correct them. The heteronormative culture has existed for so long I think it is just natural to assume that someone is heterosexual. I am guilty of having assumed people are heterosexual, but I have broken the habit now.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me that someone would assume I'm straight. It's reasonable since most women identify as straight. What I don't like is the response I usually get when I tell them: "You don't look gay at all." Said with a big smile like they're paying me a compliment.

When I get "You don't look gay" I like to reply "You should see me in bed!"

Of course, I wouldn't want everyone picturing it... but in the right context it's fun to see the reaction.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a little backwards... but I'm (not actively) coming across as more gay. I won't be out trans* at work for at least a year (or two) so I think people are starting to assume I'm gay and hiding it (poorly?). There's not much feedback there, though!

At least it makes coming out a bit easier -- it worked with the family (and I did nothing to push that aside from giving my wife anxiety and liking a few posts on Facebook).

But yes... it gets on my nerves when people treat me male & masculine. I abuse them of that when it happens... I recently laughed at a coworker - I said I was thinking of getting rid of cable and just getting Hulu+ and he was incredulous since that's the only way to get sports. This was from someone who knows I don't care in the least about football, etc... and I can go watch the Super Bowl just about anywhere! (And I do have straight, male friends at work who couldn't care less about sports).