How to End Constipation on Low Carb

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
If anyone wants to end constipation, go on youtube and google "how to fermented vegetables". Follow the instructions, using low carb veggies to ferment.

Its easy, cheap, natural, healthy and can be done in perpetuity with no ill side effects.

Only one caveat, start by eating small amounts and work your way up. To eat too much, too fast ~ may give you a reaction. But, even that will pass, its like an innoculation.

I hope this helps,
Dan the Man from Michigan
Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Instead, take magnesium Citrate twice a day, morning and night. Whala - you be good! Since we are all magnesium deficient anyway, this works out perfect!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Also drinking Kombucha can help some people as well.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    What do fermented veggies taste like? Offhand they don't sound like something I would enjoy ... ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One of these days, I might get around to trying some "high meat." AKA, intentionally fermented (rotten) raw meat. It's WAY beyond where I am now. But, if I ever feel like I need fermented foods in my diet, that's the way I would head. I don't think I'll ever need to go to that length. LOL, but it's something that people do. Some cultures have plenty of fermented meats.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    What do fermented veggies taste like? Offhand they don't sound like something I would enjoy ... ;)
    Naturally fermented sauerkraut, kimchi (similar but spicy)... Those are yummy! In the old (carb) days, ever had a hot dog with onions & sauerkraut?
    <3<3<3

Also if you are getting enough magnesium and Vitamin C you shouldn't have much of a problem.

• DittoDan
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    One of these days, I might get around to trying some "high meat." AKA, intentionally fermented (rotten) raw meat. It's WAY beyond where I am now. But, if I ever feel like I need fermented foods in my diet, that's the way I would head. I don't think I'll ever need to go to that length. LOL, but it's something that people do. Some cultures have plenty of fermented meats.

Yes, I'm not there yet either. Many Asian cultures ferment fish.

• DittoDan
    edited January 2016
    Options

They taste like a slightly watered down version of whatever you ferment. Strong veggies like radishes and garlic mellow out. Weak tasting ones pick up flavor. If you mix several veggies together, it's like a soup, the flavors average out.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh despite my German roots i've never liked sauerkraut. Or kimchi. Unfortunate. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh despite my German roots i've never liked sauerkraut. Or kimchi. Unfortunate. :)

Gasp! How could you admit that out loud!?

;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Gasp! How could you admit that out loud!?

;)

I concur :lol: I was raised on the stuff (German Parents), I got my kids loving it when they were little too.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I never liked sauerkraut when I was younger, but since moving to Japan 20 years ago, my natto-loving hubby has changed my palate. He makes daily nuka pickles out of raw daikon or turnip slices, whatever is in season. They smell really funky, but they taste sour-salty and just hit the spot with dinner! Never say never! Ya gotta try new things...
  • DittoDan
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I never liked sauerkraut when I was younger, but since moving to Japan 20 years ago, my natto-loving hubby has changed my palate. He makes daily nuka pickles out of raw daikon or turnip slices, whatever is in season. They smell really funky, but they taste sour-salty and just hit the spot with dinner! Never say never! Ya gotta try new things...

Amen sista'! <3

I made pickles but know what a "nuka pickle" is (googling now)....

Dan
  • disaberry
    disaberry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make fermented veggies, Sauerkraut, and Kefir, Kombucha and Jun tea. My spouse often wonders at my "experiments" in the kitchen. LOL ... YET, he will eat a little kraut and drink Jun (making faces) and take some kefir in his protein shake. Healing the gut microbiome is essential. :)
    I used to have serious issues, then discovered probiotics... AND daily I take "Calm" magnesium and magnesium oxide before bed. All is well! I could NEVER do low carb before. Now all is right as rain. :)
    Some people are just sluggish that way.
    Thanks Dan for the discussion.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat - you could always try a bit of Icelandic 'preserved' shark, if you could get your hands on some...
    http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/icelandic-cuisine-hakarl-iceland-fermented-shark.html
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

It won't give you any probiotic effects, because it's cooked, but there is a delicious polish stew called bigos that includes sauerkraut and meat, which mellows the sauerkraut out considerably.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Raw unpasteurized sauerkraut will give you probiotic benefits. You can try making it yourself, or buy the unpasteurized kind in the refrigerated section of a grocery store that sells health food. Once you purchase it, store it in the fridge, and eat it raw.

One of my favourite ways to eat either sauerkraut or kimchi is raw, alongside sausage of various types, maybe with some mustard too. You don't need to eat much.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Alternatively you can take magnesium citrate if fermented veggies aren't your thing.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut goes great in a dutch oven with a pork loin.
    That's what's for dinner tonight. :)

>:) or o:)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some kimchi at Target, expensive but yummy. It was $7.99 and I had it with my boring turkey burger last night! So worth it!