Everyone, what's your routine?

Options
Do you follow a structured routine, pick and choose to build your own or are you still playing around with options?
What are your goals/dreams?

I love lifting anything heavy. I used to load and unload trucks manually for years, but it taught me nothing about form. I can lift and carry a bunch of things, but it's all functional lifting. Like I carried a washer and dryer down 3 flights of steps, but I couldn't bench more than 75lbs. The last time I used a lat machine I could barely finish 2x10 at 20 lbs but I could row 80lbs 3 x10. I'm learning my weak areas, trying to figure out what is best for me. I really like complexes and have been doing them a couple days a week, but I also am playing with spilts too. I realize I need to work my core to get stronger. I want to build some muscle but right now I'm in a deficit and am trying to keep what muscle I have. I want strength and endurance in the long term.

Replies

• lesa_marie33
    lesa_marie33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read a ton of articles and found that it can be very tricky to build muscle while trying to lose fat or limit gaining any fat. Have you tried eating by keeping track of macros? Nutrition plays a huge role in muscle building.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to build right now, just maintain what I have. Yes, Macros count, I love my protein!!
  • nmbeede
    nmbeede Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to competitive swim from age 5 to 18. Needless to say, I have lots of muscle that I haven't been using. I'm mainly trying to slim down and but I would love to keep the muscles I have/define them without making changes to my size. I try to use the weight machines at the gym, but I would love a basic routine for starting out.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My name is Rae and I'm happy to join your group!

I'm actually not completely "new" to lifting, but I've been away from it for at least a decade. I really want to get back into it and this seems like a good group to support that effort.

When I was serious about it I was using weight machines at the gym as well as free weights. I could bench press about 80 pounds, rows 90 pounds, leg press around 300, and various weights on the other machines. I don't recall what I was doing with the free weights other than arm exercises. Mostly 12-15 pounds for bicep curls and tricep extensions. I don't have a gym membership anymore, but I do have a set of free weights.

Right now I am eating at a deficit and still want to lose about 10-15 pounds. Currently I am doing quite a bit of cardio and yoga to burn fat and increase my flexibility. For strength, I am doing a circuit routine at home that includes a lot of bodyweight exercises (push-ups, planks, bench dips, squats, lunges) along with some light dumbbell work like bicep curls, front and side raises, dumbbell rows, and tricep extensions.

I'm trying to improve my overall fitness, so I really need to re-educate myself about lifting. I understand the current school of thought is that you can't build muscle while also trying to lose fat. However, when I was lifting heavy in the past I both dropped quite a bit of weight AND seriously improved my strength and muscle definition. So, I don't know what to believe about that based on my own personal experience. I know that while I was lifting I was able to decrease my body fat % from 24% down to about 19%. Those were the days! I don't even know what it is now, but probably at least 30% or more.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to share my story a bit. I have purchased the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I find the workout recommendations a bit confusing. Does anyone else have this book?
  • towheee
    towheee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Thank you for joining! I'm glad I'm not alone out here! :) As I said, I've been doing lifting only since about July of last year so I'm really new too. I'll share my routine since a few of you have suggested you'd like to see one to start....

Basically I break down the major muscle groups into "days" and work each group out one day at a time until I've done them all - and then I take one rest day in between. (Sometimes two if my schedule is too busy). I also do "super sets" - two sets exercises at the same time. I go to Planet Fitness for $10/mo! They have all the equipment a beginner needs.

Day 1: Biceps and Triceps
    Day 2: Chest and Back
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Legs and Glutes

I suggest bodybuilding.com as a reference guide for lifting how-tos and techniques for each exercise - they have descriptions and videos! Do 8-10 reps of each at the highest weight you can tolerate. Rule of thumb is if you get to 8-10 and you feel like you couldn't possibly do another, you're at the right weight. If you find yourself doing 8-10 easily, raise the weight! Do at least 3 of these sets, but aim for all 4!

I don't have time to list them all out now, so I'll do one at a time - for now. . . Day 1!

Day 1 "Arm Day: Biceps and Triceps"- Start with 25-30 minutes of cardio

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    towheee wrote: »
    Hey ladies! Thank you for joining! I'm glad I'm not alone out here! :) As I said, I've been doing lifting only since about July of last year so I'm really new too. I'll share my routine since a few of you have suggested you'd like to see one to start....

Basically I break down the major muscle groups into "days" and work each group out one day at a time until I've done them all - and then I take one rest day in between. (Sometimes two if my schedule is too busy). I also do "super sets" - two sets exercises at the same time. I go to Planet Fitness for $10/mo! They have all the equipment a beginner needs.

Day 1: Biceps and Triceps
    Day 2: Chest and Back
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Legs and Glutes

I suggest bodybuilding.com as a reference guide for lifting how-tos and techniques for each exercise - they have descriptions and videos! Do 8-10 reps of each at the highest weight you can tolerate. Rule of thumb is if you get to 8-10 and you feel like you couldn't possibly do another, you're at the right weight. If you find yourself doing 8-10 easily, raise the weight! Do at least 3 of these sets, but aim for all 4!

I don't have time to list them all out now, so I'll do one at a time - for now. . . Day 1!

Day 1 "Arm Day: Biceps and Triceps"- Start with 25-30 minutes of cardio

Thanks for sharing your routine! I'll be checking out bodybuilding.com for sure!

I recall from when I was lifting before I would switch between upper and lower body with cardio days in between (sometimes same day, as well). The 4 day breakout sounds intriguing. Totally appreciate you posting your daily workouts as you go through the week!
  • JessicaBenson1
    JessicaBenson1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just got Body Beast last month. Tried it twice but haven't stuck with it. I don't get sweaty like I do with cardio so I don't feel like it does as much but I know I need to do it. Any advice?
  • towheee
    Options
    I just got Body Beast last month. Tried it twice but haven't stuck with it. I don't get sweaty like I do with cardio so I don't feel like it does as much but I know I need to do it. Any advice?

I don't know much about Body Beast, tell us more!

• JessicaBenson1
    JessicaBenson1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Body beast is a beach body program that I bought in December. I think I'm going to actually start it this morning after I take my kiddos to school.
  • towheee
    Options
    Here's my Chest and Back Routine!

Day 2 "Chest and Back"- Start with 25-30 minutes of cardio
    1st set: Smith Machine Bench Press and One Arm Barbell Row
    2nd set: Smith Machine Incline Press and Dead Lifts
    3rd set: Seated Row and Lat Pull Down
    4th set: Dumbbell flyes and Reverse Flyes
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Hi ladies! My name is Rae and I'm happy to join your group!

I'm actually not completely "new" to lifting, but I've been away from it for at least a decade. I really want to get back into it and this seems like a good group to support that effort.

When I was serious about it I was using weight machines at the gym as well as free weights. I could bench press about 80 pounds, rows 90 pounds, leg press around 300, and various weights on the other machines. I don't recall what I was doing with the free weights other than arm exercises. Mostly 12-15 pounds for bicep curls and tricep extensions. I don't have a gym membership anymore, but I do have a set of free weights.

Right now I am eating at a deficit and still want to lose about 10-15 pounds. Currently I am doing quite a bit of cardio and yoga to burn fat and increase my flexibility. For strength, I am doing a circuit routine at home that includes a lot of bodyweight exercises (push-ups, planks, bench dips, squats, lunges) along with some light dumbbell work like bicep curls, front and side raises, dumbbell rows, and tricep extensions.

I'm trying to improve my overall fitness, so I really need to re-educate myself about lifting. I understand the current school of thought is that you can't build muscle while also trying to lose fat. However, when I was lifting heavy in the past I both dropped quite a bit of weight AND seriously improved my strength and muscle definition. So, I don't know what to believe about that based on my own personal experience. I know that while I was lifting I was able to decrease my body fat % from 24% down to about 19%. Those were the days! I don't even know what it is now, but probably at least 30% or more.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to share my story a bit. I have purchased the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I find the workout recommendations a bit confusing. Does anyone else have this book?

Hi!
    I'm not "new" but back at it as well.
    I think in terms of gains and fat loss not being compatable maybe it's meant in the extremes. No, you can't cut down to extreme low BF% while bulking. And can't make the most gains on a restricted diet
    BUT a little of both is possible. I have certainly lost fat and gained muscle.
    ???

I'm trying to get back to my old fit self ... Though I'm old now. Ha! It will take a bit more work I think. Plus I keep jumping in where I used to be ... And I can't. :/ not yet anyways ;)
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    To answer the original.

My schedule is based on what I feel. Ha! My schedule is so crazy with the kids I have to be flexible. I can tell by DOMS what areas I missed and grab them next time. Adding in cardio on my mood and what time I have but fairly regularly.
    I don't plan on being a runner again but hope to get back to a sub 23 5k.
    Other crazy goals. Not necessarily to reach at the same time.
    10 pull-ups
    Flexible enough for a split again ;)

I should do a fit text Monday and re take every month ;)
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Basically I never do the same workout twice. ;)
  • K9feline4
    K9feline4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love this group. I hope it sticks together!!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I've been watching Alan Thrall videos on lifting. I really like how he explains and demonstrates everything. I got a gym membership and the weight room looks fun. I gotta study up on that form! (I have to wait 'till my girl feels better to go because I can't take her to the day care at the gym until she's well) Very excited to use a barbell!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Well, looks like my routine is, do all the things. lol Upper, lower body weights. Free weights and machines, cardio and treadmill, bike and stair climber. I'm loving the barbell and free weights are a plenty. Yay progressive lifts!
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been following the SL 5x5 since November.
  • laniferous
    laniferous Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been going to my university gym around 3 days a week!
    My routine is glute bridges, barbell squats, dumbbell benches, shoulder press, lat pull downs, bent over rows, and some core to finish off. I've found it super challenging but I'm loving the progress I'm making!
    Lifting has really inspired me to care about my nutrition. Right now my main goal is to shed fat without compromising the progress in my lifting! Focusing on my macros, trying to get in around 190g of protein a day.
    I'm excited to see where this journey takes me!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I started about 2 weeks ago - New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. It's an older version, as I bought the book a couple years ago and just started. I didn't increase my calories as much as he indicated the first couple weeks and my hunger was crazy. I also gained about 3 pounds.

I did all my calculations and upped my calories and started dropping weight again. I thought that might be helpful info for someone else. I was only under eating by about 150 calories a day. I'm also paying more attention to my macronutrients. Jeez, it's hard to get 30% protein. At least for me. :-)
  • fitnessangel1987
    fitnessangel1987 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the e-book for New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. I've always been nervous about using the weight section of the gym, but I want to get past that. I know I wont 'bulk up', but it's more so of feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing lol. Hoping having the NROFW will help me with that :) Super excited. Just sad today happens to be rest day! haha. Starting tomorrow :)