Supplements for appetite suppression?

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
Hey there... do you all know of any supplements that work to kill hunger? There is so much garbage on the 'Net-- not interested in wasting my money on things that are useless (or worse-- dangerous!). I am aware there is no "magic pill" for weight loss. Just wondering if there is anything I can take to keep hunger at bay. I am aware of the following strategies for reducing hunger:

Drinking lots of water.
Drinking no calorie hot drinks (tea, black coffee, broth, or hot lemon water).
Eating lean protein.
Eating raw veg.
Eating high fiber foods.

TIA for your help/suggestions.

Replies

• PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've had some luck with green tea capsules and raspberry ketone tablets.
  • katrinamosley
    katrinamosley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My friend takes Gnc ultra active metabolism for women & swears by them. I take them now off of her recommendation and I think they do help curb your appetite, However only 1 thing has worked like magic for my appetite and that is phentermine. I got it from one of those weight loss clinics ..
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, ladies. :)
  • hh353
    hh353 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Konjac capsules. Sometimes I don't get dinner until 830pm - between 5-8 ...I'm freaking starving I take about 4-5 of those. Its some kind of fiber that swells
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water definitely helps me, and I also use supplements from Liporidex to help with my cravings. A friend introduced me and I am obsessed. They are all-natural so you don't have to worry about consuming anything dangerous, and they have different versions, even including stimulant free. Everyone is different but they work really well for me so far.
  • eriennehiggins
    eriennehiggins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I went to a weight dr in sept and got put on phentermine which is an appetite suppressant. I have lost 64lbs in 4 months. It is not a magic pill by any means but it has helped me to stick to my diet. I have a friend who uses the appetite suppressant from max muscle and she had success with it.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I went to a weight dr in sept and got put on phentermine which is an appetite suppressant. I have lost 64lbs in 4 months. It is not a magic pill by any means but it has helped me to stick to my diet. I have a friend who uses the appetite suppressant from max muscle and she had success with it.

From time to time I take a stimulant legally prescribed by a board-certified physician. I can and do go without it taking it for weeks because I don't have an "addictive personality' (I asked the doctor about the possibility of abuse). In addition to providing energy and enhancing focus, it has an appetite suppressant effect. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't help when I'm dieting.

But as you said, it's not a magic pill. Even though I'm not ravenous, I still have to fight the desire to eat out of boredom.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    hh353 wrote: »
    Konjac capsules. Sometimes I don't get dinner until 830pm - between 5-8 ...I'm freaking starving I take about 4-5 of those. Its some kind of fiber that swells

Sounds like it's the yam substance from which shirataki noodles are made. It might be more palatable in capsule form. I find the noodles made with tofu to have a better texture even if they do have some carbs.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    From time to time I take a stimulant legally prescribed by a board-certified physician. I can and do go without it taking it for weeks because I don't have an "addictive personality' (I asked the doctor about the possibility of abuse). In addition to providing energy and enhancing focus, it has an appetite suppressant effect. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't help when I'm dieting.

But as you said, it's not a magic pill. Even though I'm not ravenous, I still have to fight the desire to eat out of boredom.

I can't go that route-- I am in recovery. ;)
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Yes there are noodles and rice made of konjac too. Miracle noodles theyre called but there are much better brands out there. I add them to stirfry from time to time. That capsules are probably more palatable for sure.

The noodles are pretty much tasteless but I really enjoy the act of eating over taking pills lol. They are 0 cals and taste pretty awesome with some veggies are curry sauce or butter chicken sauce. Just sayin...
  • pink_zeebra
    pink_zeebra Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I found that the NOW brand of Super citrimax worked well to cut my appetite. This supplement does give an energy boost, but does not cause me to feel jittery and uncomfortable like fat burners do. The first time I used it (1.5 years ago) I was able to quickly drop 5 pounds with the help of this supplement. I started to use it again and it has been helpful in cutting my appetite, but I still feel hungry when it is around my usual meal time. I am prone to stress eating and this product has seemed to help me to a break on feeling hungry all the time, or wanting to snack a lot in the evenings. Make sure to read the product and make sure it is a good fit for your use.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just don't take them long-term. Diet pills can seriously damage your health. Read my profile to learn more about my experience.
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This may not be helpful (if so feel free to ignore), but someone gave me this advice once when I asked a similar question and it really helped me. Instead of looking for ways to suppress an appetite, realize that hunger isn't necessarily a bad thing nor is it an emergency. A lot of our feelings of "needing to eat" come from a fear of being hungry... So long as you have a meal to look forward to in the future, you can shift that mindset and realize that the hunger is a good thing (a sign of your deficit and future weight loss) and move on with your day until the next time you eat.
  • hh353
    Options
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »

Yes there are noodles and rice made of konjac too. Miracle noodles theyre called but there are much better brands out there. I add them to stirfry from time to time. That capsules are probably more palatable for sure.

The noodles are pretty much tasteless but I really enjoy the act of eating over taking pills lol. They are 0 cals and taste pretty awesome with some veggies are curry sauce or butter chicken sauce. Just sayin...

I totally forgot about the noodles!! I believe they are 0 calories I think I bought them on netrition!
    They aren't toooo...bad tasting! Lol
  • hh353
    Options
    hev481 wrote: »
    This may not be helpful (if so feel free to ignore), but someone gave me this advice once when I asked a similar question and it really helped me. Instead of looking for ways to suppress an appetite, realize that hunger isn't necessarily a bad thing nor is it an emergency. A lot of our feelings of "needing to eat" come from a fear of being hungry... So long as you have a meal to look forward to in the future, you can shift that mindset and realize that the hunger is a good thing (a sign of your deficit and future weight loss) and move on with your day until the next time you eat.

Great advice!!
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    Verdenal wrote: »

I can't go that route-- I am in recovery. ;)

Good for you! :) I would definitely stick to something over the counter and all-natural then. I think that some of these suggestions are probably good, even though I have not tried any myself. My problem is more lacking energy than appetite suppression.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nothing really keeps hunger at bay if you are truly hungry.. boredom is another story. I've learned it's mind over matter for sure.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    hev481 wrote: »

It is helpful- I actually enjoy feeling hungry and choosing not to eat sometimes- it feels very powerful. But other times, it takes up a lot of mental energy for me to choose to not eat when I'm hungry. Hence my inquiry.
  • manuka99
    manuka99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is helpful- I actually enjoy feeling hungry and choosing not to eat sometimes- it feels very powerful. But other times, it takes up a lot of mental energy for me to choose to not eat when I'm hungry.
    I can relate!!

On this point (and also useful against boredom to some degree, I find): sometimes distraction is really helpful. Go for a run, read a book, watch a movie, call your mum/dad/friend whilst going for a walk. An hour or two fly by and -- hooray -- it's dinnertime already.