Ranting

Options
HLaR79
HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
Yesterday i was at costco with my sister and a friend and we were having some cheap hot dogs when this lady sitting behind my friend bumped into her, and when she turned to say something she just made a disgust face and starting laughing at my friend, my friend im guessing because of her size!!! It pisses me off. I am lucky enough to seldom be the victim of body shaming, so i dont pay enough attention to it! The sad truth is that it is everywhere even in a world where people are standing up and saying that it is not okay! Im sad for those people that they felt the need to laugh at other people

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Hurts, you know these people are rude, dumb, insensitive, not worth carrying about!! Still hurts
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time as well. I get looks at the grocery store even though I buy healthier food now. They still look at me like I shouldn't be buying food or something. I have had people make pig sounds, cow sounds, whale sounds etc...because I am coming out of or going into a restaurant. People (my ex included) would make fat jokes then say they didn't mean anything towards me; yeah right. It does hurt more than most know. But I rose above it all because those people don't know the road I have travelled and have no right to judge me. I hope your friend held her head high and didn't let that person upset her. That's so rude!
  • jewls10st2go
    jewls10st2go Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to do so. I have had countless actions like this throughout my life. Take a hold of that pity you feel for their ignorance. Give them a nice big grin! Must be a hard life being so dence. Chin up x x x x
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say things back like call them old hags but realized that would make me just as shallow so we enjoyed our conversation and our cheap hot dogs and then our shopping. i believe in karma so im sure they will get there own!

I am also thankful i have amazing friends coworkers and husband who treat me well which helps,
  • Natniek
    Natniek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can be certain those people that mock or shame us have no understanding of health or weight loss. They're just ignorant jerks. I wish knowing that made it hurt less, though.
  • caguitare
    caguitare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Similar situations in my community as well... I try to understand where these people came from and that at some point they were taught to judge the outer shell of a person as the most valuable rather than what makes that person the wonderful individual that they really are. Instead of hanging my head I've learned to turn to look at them acknowledging I've heard what was being said and then put the biggest smile on and say something like I hope you have a wonderful day. Showing them I can accept their ignorance for who I am outside of this overweight body and allowing them to own their own actions. I hons way feeling awesome for being a better person and hopefully my reaction gives them a little something to ponder before they do something similar to someone else in the future. Just my two cents worth☺
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    People are so rude, it's astounding to me sometimes. I guess it's because I grew up in a relatively large family, or maybe we're just good people, but I would never say something so nasty to a person I don't even know. It's like, who are you to judge, you don't know their life, their struggles, you don't know what that person's been through.
    You are lucky to have an amazing support system, and let your friend know that she is too, because she was able to still have a great time with you, and walked out of that store with a smile on her face, not with her head hung low!
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Weight bias and stigma are ubiquitous in our society. From time to time, I have the opportunity to speak publicly about it, and many well-meaning folks (not the people you ran into at Costco!) just simply don't recognize weight bias, even when it's right in front of them. They don't notice the fat-girl jokes on the sitcoms or the media ads where the one fat guy in the yoga class reminds a woman that she needs to buy a turkey (literally). But once you start asking people to look, they get it and start noticing. It's going to take an awful lot of education, though, to eradicate this sort of bias.
  • caguitare
    caguitare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So true so true
    Options
    I hear n feel you, here's the but, we judge ourselves. We think what they think, we say to ourselves what they say. I hate the jokes, I don't think they are funny , but a joke about polish people if you polis isn't funny. I'm not defending these people, they don't have the sensitivity we have being heavy. I once had a shirt that sai " I may be fat but you're ugly, but I can go on a diet". Gayle Minneapolis
  • AnachronisticAutistic
    Options
    People can be astonishingly rude and anyone who is conspicuous in any way becomes a target for their supposedly witty remarks. Unfortunately, weight is a particularly popular source of material because it is tied up with all sorts of ludicrous negative assumptions about intelligence and self-control.

I reached a point at which I was so degraded by abusive comments (both about my weight and being autistic) that I scarcely left the house at all. However, I then witnessed my brother being treated similarly, purely on the grounds that he is tall! After that, I began to realise that the problem was not because of me, but rather because of the ill-mannered, boorish ways of people who do not know better.
  • pnece
    Options
    I really feel everyone's pain in this thread and appreciate the wisdom shared. One of my buddies says she feels "rotten to the core" because of her obesity. I've really been working hard at not letting my feelings of failure and shame about my weight overshadow the many successes I've had and the good things in my life. It's taking a lot of practice! But I think I'm making a little progress at softening those negative thoughts and not judging myself so very harshly.
    Options
    I wish for you loving kindness
    I wish for you good health
    I wish for you peace
    I wish for you love
    Gayle Minneapolis
  • pnece
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    I wish for you loving kindness
    I wish for you good health
    I wish for you peace
    I wish for you love
    Gayle Minneapolis
    f

Wonderful! Thanks!

• bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Found out today that the job I applied for...the training class is full. But I will be finding out more on Monday because something smells wrong here...i was accepted to the training class then told I dont get the job? What???