Newbie progress :-)

Options
13»

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You should do the reset first @ibtmas you need to know what your tdee is before you cut.

If you went from 1200-1800 you will gain most likely as your body is used to the lower amount. Once you reset then you can take away 15% for a few weeks to do a cut.

Unless you only ate 1200 for a few weeks. What is your dieting history?

Why don't you start a new thread for yourself- it can serve as a way to continuously troubleshoot and update.
  • michelski
    michelski Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was going to reply saying exactly the same thing but there was a screenshot posted from the starter kit which instructs differently. At that point I wondered whether I'd misunderstood - reset of cut ...
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Exactly! According to the starter kit we can either go for a metabolic reset or a tdee cut. So i started with a cut to give it a try. I gained 100 cals every week and sticked to 1800 with the same activity level. Although i gained 4 lbs in two weeks after taking 1800 cals, on the third week i'm down 2 lbs today
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    michelski wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    2 weeks at one level - then go up another 100 for 2 weeks.

Because think about it - even if this was your body NOT speeding up from suppressed TDEE to match higher eating level - it would take 35 days plus to slowly put on 1 lb of weight, eating 100 calories over a suppressed TDEE.

So the weight gain is too fast for fat, and I'm betting it's not the case that your body isn't speeding up along with these increases.

Had any change of stress during that time?
    Increase of exercise and/or activity while still eating the same amount?
    Less sleep?
    Allergies (they can be incredible stress on body even if physical symptoms aren't that huge).

I'd chalk it up to something like that. Or just plain ole' retained water for some other reason.

Do you enjoy stiff drinks?

Plan a day where a greater % of your macros is carbs, end with a couple of stiff drinks that day. Weigh-in next day.

Stiff drinks you say !! Yes, I can add these in. I do like gin :-) oh and sherry (shhh - I cant believe I just admitted that)... Change in stress - nope, although i'm pretty sure there are some hormonal things going on at the moment which are a bit of a concern. Increase in activity - last week my weight increased by 0.2lb every day. I did one hour of a Cathe Freidrich DVD during the week, and at the weekend went hiking for 2 hours. So yes, an increase in exercise. Sleep - no change. Allergies - nothing to report.

I will try the >% carbs + booze idea. Does this work because alcohol dehydrates and therefore helps shift some retained water ?

Nailed it - been known to cause the whoosh effect. As well as the bigger than normal carb day.

It's been observed by many that the fat seems to change in feel during a time of no weight loss in some areas.
    Then whoosh the weight and fat drops.

The body can store more water in the fat cells than you'd normally get with fat storage. Why, no reported clues.
    Merely the effect.
    It's as if holding water for day it gets enough carbs or thinks it needs to - then the extra carbs comes in, some water used to store them, rest is realized unneeded - so whoosh.

Stiff drink helps with it - if it's not a normal occurrence - so just special treat yourself.

dieters edema
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

"Half-way through the study the men were allowed a relief dinner to celebrate their progress. One big meal of 2300 kcal was served; roasted chicken, potatoes, gravy and strawberry shortcake. That night everyone got up more often than usual to urinate. The next day they discovered that they had each lost several pounds.

This was not a one-time occurrence. When the experiment was over and the refeeding phase began, the men continued to drop weight at an accelerated rate until calories were increased substantially."
  • michelski
    Options
    Thats a very interesting read Heybales - thanks.
    I was slightly over on carbs yesterday evening, and had a couple of stiff drinks, my protein number was slightly under, carbs over by 20, and I had 100 spare calories which I couldnt use without messing up the macros. This morning my weight was up yet again !! another 0.6 of a lb !

Mon 7th - 151.2
    Tues 8th - 151.8
    Weds 9th - 152.4
    Thurs 10th - 152.6
    Fri 11th - 152.8
    Sat & Sunday - away but ate properly and logged food
    Mon 14th - 153

Last week was my 2nd week on 1800 cals. This week i've increased to 1900 cals. My weight is not showing any signs of levelling out. Today its up at 154.02 ! I know i'm doing a reset but this is scary stuff.

• michelski
    Options
    @heybales - I have just had another look at your "Just My TDEE and Deficit Please". At the moment i'm not doing any exercise regularly (I entered 2 x 60 in anticipation of starting exercise sooner! oops). Therefore if I leave all the exercise fields blank and just tick the desk job/kids and pets, I get a TDEE of 1847. Given that i've been eating over this for the past 2 weeks could explain why weight is going up! When I add in weight training (which I hope to start properly in 2 weeks time) then I know the TDEE figure will increase (to 1943).

So, would this (consistent 2 week weight gain) suggest that my non exercise TDEE really is somewhere around 1847? Should I stay at this calorie intake given that i'm not exercising ? to allow it to level out ? But then, when I start lifting I would enter my 2 x 60 mins work outs, plus 1 x 60 min DVD and increase my cals to the revised figure given for TDEE.

Whatever TDEE levels out at (1847 for this 2 week non exercising period, and 1943 once I start lifting), I will stay there for 6+ weeks to complete my Reset.

Does this sound about right ?
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    Exactly! According to the starter kit we can either go for a metabolic reset or a tdee cut. So i started with a cut to give it a try. I gained 100 cals every week and sticked to 1800 with the same activity level. Although i gained 4 lbs in two weeks after taking 1800 cals, on the third week i'm down 2 lbs today

I've only read the metabolic reset guide- not the starter kit. It states that if you have been eating over tdee (not dieting at all) then you may jump right into your cut.

If you've been eating lower than that- ether way lower, like below bmr, or for a very long time- then you need to reset or your body will never see the 15% cut as a cut. If your body has gotten used to a certain amount and you up that amount you will gain weight and eventually reach your new homeostasis. You want to push your tdee as high as possible and stay there for at least 8 weeks, then cut.

@heybales - I have just had another look at your "Just My TDEE and Deficit Please". At the moment i'm not doing any exercise regularly (I entered 2 x 60 in anticipation of starting exercise sooner! oops). Therefore if I leave all the exercise fields blank and just tick the desk job/kids and pets, I get a TDEE of 1847. Given that i've been eating over this for the past 2 weeks could explain why weight is going up! When I add in weight training (which I hope to start properly in 2 weeks time) then I know the TDEE figure will increase (to 1943).

So, would this (consistent 2 week weight gain) suggest that my non exercise TDEE really is somewhere around 1847? Should I stay at this calorie intake given that i'm not exercising ? to allow it to level out ? But then, when I start lifting I would enter my 2 x 60 mins work outs, plus 1 x 60 min DVD and increase my cals to the revised figure given for TDEE.

Whatever TDEE levels out at (1847 for this 2 week non exercising period, and 1943 once I start lifting), I will stay there for 6+ weeks to complete my Reset.

I'd continue eating what you are eating- and keep upping your calories. The weight you gain will eventually come off- and you want to max out your tdee. Especially when you first start lifting, you'll get "newbie gains" and see some changes in the body.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @dcshima - thanks for the info. For me at the moment (in this early stage!) protein is just the number I have to hit. I havent reached the realms of what sort of protein as yet, but im sure I will !

I do quite a bit of nuts, seeds, and beans (the beans I have to limit, because I can't seem to get rid of enough of the toxic effects, lol). I also don't skimp on the oils like Olive Oil, and other of the "good" fats my bod needs. I'm learning to Michelski;) Just started too, I mean with the real deal, em2wl. I had to ease up on my propensity to hit the "exact" mark, and relax more instead. Only because I am ready to go to the doc all stressing myself out.

I'm around a lot sweetie (I'm 63 and retired). Again, I am learning to, but I am here for you and the other gals, to help in any way possible, hugs, and keep up the good work;) denise
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well next week I'm going to be working in Germany. This is always a challenge re food as its exhibition work and I will be freezing cold, starving hungry and the food will be rubbish! No way to log it either! (because half the time I dont even know what it is!). There is no gym so I will have to do body weight exercise in my meagre hotel room - just need to find my resistance band !

I know "listening" to your body may not be the best advice, since my body can lie to me, or well, I misunderstand it is all. Like when I think I'm hungry?? Seems drinking water is all my bod is asking for;) So I practice keeping a bottle handy:) I mean not every time, sometimes I need food, definitely, but drinking the water lets me no whether or not;)

I heard many stories of Germany from my X who's dad was a pilot for PanAm. I got to see a lot of my X's photography, beautiful country, but I imagine you will see the airports/hotels since it's buz I think you said:) Fit in some time for you and then tell us, send us photos:) What a way to travel for me, the worldwidehighway, lol;) denise
  • heybales
    Options

It's a life lesson to always eat appropriately for your level of activity.

When dieting - obviously a tad less, if attempting a bulk - a tad more.
    If reset as now - right at maintenance as best you can get.

If winter compared to summer, if busy no workouts compared to workouts, if sick bed-ridden compared to normal schedule, ect.

Always want to be aware of potential need to adjust eating level. or if you like the eating level - adjust the activity level.
    Short time periods of days not as bad to worry about - it's the long stretches that get you - usually the reason for winter weight gain.

I'd suggest adjust as you go along. It could easily be that during your reset you again have change of circumstances and perhaps do more later. Sure don't want to keep eating same amount as now.

But I'd suggest don't eat for what you hope to do - unless that inspires you to do it. I don't mean of course a planned weekly schedule for TDEE which you must kind of estimate and plan.
  • michelski
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

It's a life lesson to always eat appropriately for your level of activity.

When dieting - obviously a tad less, if attempting a bulk - a tad more.
    If reset as now - right at maintenance as best you can get.

If winter compared to summer, if busy no workouts compared to workouts, if sick bed-ridden compared to normal schedule, ect.

Always want to be aware of potential need to adjust eating level. or if you like the eating level - adjust the activity level.
    Short time periods of days not as bad to worry about - it's the long stretches that get you - usually the reason for winter weight gain.

I'd suggest adjust as you go along. It could easily be that during your reset you again have change of circumstances and perhaps do more later. Sure don't want to keep eating same amount as now.

But I'd suggest don't eat for what you hope to do - unless that inspires you to do it. I don't mean of course a planned weekly schedule for TDEE which you must kind of estimate and plan.

Thanks Heybales.

So i'm in Reset and adding 100 cals per week to find my TDEE but I'm concerned that the (your) calculators say I'm already at TDEE level given the fact I'm not exercising, and my weight is going up. Or rather it was (for the past week and a half). However it came down this morning by 1.4lbs despite not changing a thing. So, this indicates to me from what I have learnt so far that 1900 cals (which is what my intake level currently is), despite being higher than my calculated TDEE - cant be my TDEE, because my weight has dropped. So onwards I go ! Its quite exciting in a weird sort of way to see just how much food I can eat ! (all within macros of course). Its my birthday at the weekend - that's going to be a challenge food and drink-wise, but a second week at 1900 next week hopefully will allow my weight to settle a bit before raising by another 100 to 2000 the following week... and the week after that, my PT sessions start meaning will I will amend the TDEE calculator to reflect the change.
  • michelski
    Options
    Update... well I am now up to the dizzy heights of eating 2000 calories per day ! My weight is creeping up (but only 2lb so far), and my brain is dealing with it. Clothes aren't even an issue yet which is a huge bonus (but I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to the Summer if my weight keeps going up!).

Last night I met with a Personal Trainer who I am going to be seeing for a few months, as he will be able to show me HOW to lift safely. I have all the knowledge from the Beginners Strength Guide, and all the videos from Bodybuilder.com but its not quite the same as someone showing you and working with you. The PT is lovely and was very interested in EM2WL, saying he wont disturb anything i'm doing re resetting my metabolism, agreeing I need to be eating more to be able to lift.

I start with him next Tuesday and am really keep to get started having been planning strength training since the end of last year !
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    that's great!!
  • heybales
    Options
    That should be a good trainer recognizing he probably shouldn't be commenting on diet anyway, and allowing/encouraging the right thing.

But indeed, even the best calculator for TDEE is only an estimate - output only as good as the input - and since some is up to the user, still could be wrong.
    The simple walking ones are easy enough to get decent, but high cardio and lifting could have far from average burn - as well as the daily activity choices.

So you go for best estimate, and try to go from there, some up, some down.

Trainer will be nice for those little things in form you can't even see but do that aren't great. especially as weight goes up on bar.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good trainer. I agree reading and watching videos only take you so far when it comes to correct form. Nothing like someone coming and touching the area that you have misaligned etc. Took me years to realize a good trainer is worth a few dollars from the budget.
  • michelski
    Options
    I started with the trainer last week. It was really great and the time whizzed by. I have since then been unwell and unable to see him again. Not a great start ! Having been unwell means I've not been able to eat anywhere near what I should be eating and consequently my weight has dropped a little. I'm drinking loads of water now but am seriously fed up with the constant trips to the loo ! Boy did I ache ! He did all the weighing and measuring, assessed my squats and showed me a few tips re those, I used TRX (ropes hanging from the ceiling with handles - and exercises using these and bodyweight) and there were lots of press ups ! Hopefully I will be fit to return on 12th April.
  • michelski
    Options
    So I did my first bench press on Tuesday night. 20kg too (45lbs) which I was pretty amazed at ! I know to you guys that will seem like nothing but coming from elbow surgery a year ago I am pretty pleased.

2nd session is tonight. Will be legs - but sadly my legs are really sore today from Tuesday (despite Tues being Arms (push/pull).

Struggling to eat enough which is annoying. 2100 cals daily but only reaching that a few times a week. Weight is maintaining. Going to redo my "TDEE / Deficit Please" now that im regularly going to the gym (and being worked hard!).
  • heybales
    Options
    Bummer on elbow - glad you got trainer to hopefully minimize issues with great form. And hey - gotta start somewhere. Glad it's at least the easier to use bar weight, rather than less.
  • michelski
    Options
    He's teaching me how to deadlift using a kettle bell initially so that he can check my form. It feels so unnatural sticking my behind out hahaha but I will get there. Once form is mastered we will move to the bar.

On Thursday we did upright dumbells rows (8kg/17.6lb)) and dumbell chest press (considerably lighter ! 4kg I think !). We were meant to be doing legs but it became clear whilst doing squats that I'm very stiff in my hip and glutes. We spent time him showing me stretches and I've got some to do at home.

Am so pleased with how focused my PT appears to be, and I'm loving it which is great news as it's something I will want to continue long after the PT sessions have ended :smile: