Kitchen scales are insanely important, apparently.

Options
HiSkyfish
HiSkyfish Posts: 28 Member
I'd just like to share a little nugget of advice that could very well help you out.. A LOT. Especially if you're seeing slow results or no results.

So I got a kitchen scale a little over a week ago because I wasn't losing as much as I thought I should be. Apparently I was way off on how much food weighs. Veggies weigh way less than I thought and everything else was way more. What you think is a 6oz steak could very well be 8oz+. And did you know that 1oz of cheese (the standard serving on most) is literally a 1 inch cube? 3oz of most leafy greens is literally a mountain of greenery on your plate.

Anyway, most foods in the My Fitness Pal database go by weight or measurement of some kind, unless they're pre-packaged or single items. What you THINK you are entering may be wrong. In my case, I thought I was staying around 1200 calories and 10-15 net carbs. It was closer to 2000 calories and 30 net carbs. I saw literally zero results (other than feeling better) the first two weeks, other than water weight (5 pounds) that normally comes form ketogenic diets. Since I started weighing my food, I lost 8 pounds in a little over a week. This is an insane difference. I'm 100lbs overweight to start with, so 8 in one week isn't too unhealthy, especially on keto. I don't feel hungrier, because the light-weight veggies fill me up for longer. It's a bit tedious at first and takes a bit longer to put meals together, but it's time well spent.

Last year I was on the same diet and my loss was agonizingly slow, but I saw great results in the mirror and lost 2 dress sizes. I can't help but wonder if I had used a scale THEN, would I already be at my goal now?

That is why I'm sharing this. DON'T WASTE YOU TIME AND ENERGY AND GET A SCALE!! Not to mention the feelings of defeat when you're trying your hardest and not seeing results. They're stupid cheap too. The one i got at walmart was $15. It's not digital, but it get's the job done. The digital ones aren't even really that expensive either (I didn't want to deal with batteries).

I hope this helps some of you who may be stuck.

Replies

• HiSkyfish
    HiSkyfish Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    oh! and cooking oils!!!! use a measuring spoon when you're cooking with them or adding them to food. 1tbsp of olive oil is 140 calories. If you're just throwing some in the pan, you could be way off!
  • lmitchellf
    lmitchellf Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, you're definitely right. When I did weight watchers, I lost consistently because I actually weighed and measured EVERYTHING. It is a little annoying at first to weigh everything, but it does make a huge difference. I got pretty good at eyeballing stuff, but sometimes I have to bust my scale out for stuff like meat and fruit (fruit when cut and uncut fills different volume so weight is more accurate than cup measure)