What do you eat before a workout?

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
Do you fill up on fats, protein or eat minimal carbs? For example, today I had 1 oz of cheese and 1 oz of peanuts before working out. Which came to 14g protein, 23g fat and 5g carbs.

I am starting to get into an exercise routine now and want to properly fuel my workouts, but I always kind of leaned on carbs for that. So, I am curious how you fuel yourselves before you exercise.

Thanks!

Replies

• AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I either have my BPC or nothing before I go work out (at lunch time). I don't feel any more tired than I do if I eat breakfast, actually, a bit better because exercising full sucks. I can always grab something when I get home.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Fuel your exercise the same way you fuel your normal metabolism. Or, if you want a ketone boost, eat nothing at all before your workout.

The only people that need to worry about fuel are endurance athletes who can potentially deplete their glycogen.

As an aside, if I eat too many carbs, I'll use exercise as a way to quickly burn them off. You can calculate your burn rate based on duration and intensity. Some of the fitness bands will even do this for you -- not just calorie burn, but carb and fat burn as well.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Fuel your exercise the same way you fuel your normal metabolism. Or, if you want a ketone boost, eat nothing at all before your workout.

The only people that need to worry about fuel are endurance athletes who can potentially deplete their glycogen.

As an aside, if I eat too many carbs, I'll use exercise as a way to quickly burn them off. You can calculate your burn rate based on duration and intensity. Some of the fitness bands will even do this for you -- not just calorie burn, but carb and fat burn as well.

Completely agree, and I do the same to burn off excess carbs when I have a cheat day...go for a run or my weekly ball hockey (2.5 hours of chasing young punks around a gym) work well for that :)