What are you Bit**'n about your thin!

Options
hh353
hh353 Posts: 37 Member
Hi guys!!
I'm so glad this group exists!!! Last night I went over to the other groups / threads. And in the "introduce yourself" section a girl mentioned eating less than 1200 calories!! Wow!! She got attacked like crazy and I put my 2 cents in!! I don't think any of us over here would be so judgmental!! As we all know the last 10-15 lbs are TOUGH!! And sometimes you do have to eat less than 1200 to get over that plateau!! I suggested she join us here considering she only needs to loose a few pounds! I think some of the heavier girls can be rude and have no sympathy for us!
Feel free to friend me if we are on the same page!

Replies

• wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I read that thread too. I didn't say anything. I have posted a few questions. I am having mixed emotions here. I used the calorie counter like 5 months ago. I did real good. I never made it to my goal before I lost interest. I decided to try this again. I actually Google weight loss forums. I was surprised to find this one. I don't have a lot support for this. My boyfriend looked at me like I was nuts when I said let's go on a diet.
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat under 1500 but sometimes I do and I feel good. After looking up what I should be eating to maintain my BMR, I make sure I eat enough and 1200 isn't enough for my BMR.

And yes those last few pounds are terrible to lose!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I will be buying myself a food scale just ensure I am absolute certain I am counting every oz. I eat. My BMR is 1771. I have to be seriously underestimating what I am eating. This is crazy to me because I always feel like I am overestimating it. Live and learn... I know another individual asked me what meds I take because I mentioned having to eat 500 with my night time meds. Well I stopped doing that and dropped 5 pounds right off the bat. But the other 10 is still there hanging out. I will have to spend some time tomorrow reading up on my meds. I know they are weight neutral because I have told my doc i wont take any thing that will make me gain weight. BUt the meds could possibly be preventing me from losing the weight maybe??

I need the scale..
  • hh353
    hh353 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the patience for 1 pound a week lose! Once I get to my goal weight its much easier to " maintain" ...than the loosing phase! I thought today - why in the he** did I forget to weigh myself once a week!?!? Lol! If you go up a pound or two cut the crap food for a week or two! Ugh!! I probably didn't weigh myself for 3 months!! Then the jeans started getting tighter and tighter! I'm like Hey! Are these shrinking?? Lol - oops! Better weigh myself!
  • kennedyer627
    kennedyer627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and 165 with a BMI of 24. I am at the top line of the "healthy scale." But ideally I would like to be somewhere in the middle. I was having a conversation with my mom on the treadmill because she is afraid that I am going to extremes because I want to run on the treadmill and start a clean eating diet. I fluctuate anywhere from my current weight to 145. When I get to the high point, where I am now, I get serious and buckle down until I am at 150. I get very tired of the "why are you dieting, you are skinny comments," because clothes hide what I am trying to lose.
  • luckyblueeye
    luckyblueeye Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I will be buying myself a food scale just ensure I am absolute certain I am counting every oz. I eat. My BMR is 1771. I have to be seriously underestimating what I am eating. This is crazy to me because I always feel like I am overestimating it. Live and learn... I know another individual asked me what meds I take because I mentioned having to eat 500 with my night time meds. Well I stopped doing that and dropped 5 pounds right off the bat. But the other 10 is still there hanging out. I will have to spend some time tomorrow reading up on my meds. I know they are weight neutral because I have told my doc i wont take any thing that will make me gain weight. BUt the meds could possibly be preventing me from losing the weight maybe??

I need the scale..

A food scale is a great idea! I've had an Escali scale from amazon for years and it's really nice! I use it mainly for my baking needs but it works great for checking my portions too. It's amazing how quickly things add up...I was thinking that I only ate about 2 oz of chicken in my salad...once I measured it I knew that 2 oz would never be enough for lunch ;)
  • luckyblueeye
    luckyblueeye Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I need the scale..

A food scale is a great idea! I've had an Escali scale from amazon for years and it's really nice! I use it mainly for my baking needs but it works great for checking my portions too. It's amazing how quickly things add up...I was thinking that I only ate about 2 oz of chicken in my salad...once I measured it I knew that 2 oz would never be enough for lunch ;)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GAWSC/ref=twister_B001707OL0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and 165 with a BMI of 24. I am at the top line of the "healthy scale." But ideally I would like to be somewhere in the middle. I was having a conversation with my mom on the treadmill because she is afraid that I am going to extremes because I want to run on the treadmill and start a clean eating diet. I fluctuate anywhere from my current weight to 145. When I get to the high point, where I am now, I get serious and buckle down until I am at 150. I get very tired of the "why are you dieting, you are skinny comments," because clothes hide what I am trying to lose.

I feel the same way. I am up 10 from my lowest weight. My clothes are tight and I don't feel comfortable. Instead of being supportive, my friends are like "You are plety skinny, stop worrying about it"-- well here is the thing- if I stop worring about it and just wat "whatever" I am going to gain weight- which I do not want at all. It can be really frustrating. Hang in there and know you have support here. :)
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    hh353 wrote: »
    Hi guys!!
    I'm so glad this group exists!!! Last night I went over to the other groups / threads. And in the "introduce yourself" section a girl mentioned eating less than 1200 calories!! Wow!! She got attacked like crazy and I put my 2 cents in!! I don't think any of us over here would be so judgmental!! As we all know the last 10-15 lbs are TOUGH!! And sometimes you do have to eat less than 1200 to get over that plateau!! I suggested she join us here considering she only needs to loose a few pounds! I think some of the heavier girls can be rude and have no sympathy for us!
    Feel free to friend me if we are on the same page!

It's not about being judgmental, it's about being safe. Depending on her current height/weight, it might not be safe to be in such a deficit. If the woman was 5ft and 120lbs eating just shy of 1200 a couple of times a week while living a sedentary lifestyle is probably okay but if she's 5ft7, 160lbs and a waitress then it's dangerous. If you deny your body the basic calories it needs for long periods of time it starts to shut down nonessential functions which leads to things like hair loss, missing periods etc. It just doesn't have the converted energy to keep them going. It's why everyone should workout their BMR/TDEE and work from that rather than some arbitrary one size does not fit all number of calories.

Now that's not to say I agree with bullying which I think goes on too easily on this site. People have the overwhelming need to be right and forget that there is a person sitting on the other end of their tirade. I'm so sorry she had to go through that. Hopefully she was able to find some useful information out of all of it. :smile:
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well said, @glassofroses :)
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend definitely doesn't understand my obsession with my weight. The last few stubborn pounds ARE STUBBORN AS *kitten* and I get so mad! I feel like I'll never get rid of this gut. :/
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I accept that I deserve no sympathy from people struggling with weight problems. I've been there, and I won, and that's good enough for me.
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At 4'11, I have to eat at or under 1200 calories to have any loss...and we are talking like 0.5lbs or less a week. Maintenance would be ~1450. It all depends on the person.
  • ashleyharrison3914
    Options
    My weight is 152 pounds (5'6) and I regularly eat between 1200-1500 calories, exercise and keep pretty busy but my body still does not want to drop much lower. I have come back to tracking because I really want to budge that scale down but it is way harder to lose weight now! Our bodies just get a weight set point and we need to reset it, once those heavier people get to a healthy weight they will plateau.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    YUP.. I'm 5'11" I used to be 133-135 Trying to get there again.. have a little bit more to go..But I'm also 45 so things have moved around here and there. I want to tone and feel better I will never be a waif so I'm not worried that other people think I don't need to diet. I do what makes me happy! Just like you woot woot

• mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options

OMG! If I hear "You are tall so you can carry a bit more weight." from my mom and sister again...I'm going to lose my mind! I so get it.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The simple reality is that some folks don't wan't to face that in order to get down to the lower end of what is healthy for your height and weight, caloric restriction is required. The are not willing to just say "no" to extra calories and they hate you for doing it and suggesting that they do it in order to lose weight. Also, some people actually consider food and drink a hobby. For them, food is elevated to performance art. Hence the photos and complicated recipes. They truly are not willing to do the work required to get slim and stay slim. So they support each other in fantasies and fad eating plans that enable them to think that they can eat excessive amounts of calories and still lose weight. The sad thing is that these plans will fail them. And they will be right back to square one until they are able to accept that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to create a caloric deficit.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm in jail... :s I irritated a mod. I told someone to call their doctor and not take advice from the multitude of quacks on this site. Bad me... >:)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You'd probably stay out of jail if you told people to call their doctors, not take advice on the Internet, and didn't call people quacks. But some people like to irritate mods, so take your pick, @Q_Is_Poison
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Those comments drive me INSANE! lol. What does it matter as long as you are physically healthy and not malnurished (which can be over-eating and under-eating). I gained almost 40lbs after my hip injury since i could barely even walk for 5 months. But before that I always got the whole "don't over do it" "be careful" "you're shrinking really quickly, im worried about you" ... Half the time I didn't even lose weight on the scale, I was just building muscle =)