Feeling hungry and depressed

Options
But I think i know where I'm going wrong, I've set calories to 1000 and so carbs are 10%. Protein is 25% and fat is 65%. People have said this calorie intake is too low and I keep going over it slightly and I'm struggling to eat healthy under 1000 calories,

Just need some guidance on how many calories I should be aiming for, I'm ten stone 4 and 5 foot 1?

How many calories is everyone else having?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and around 135. I usually eat between 1100 and 1500 depending on how hungry I am. Basically I go by my hunger cues as to how many calories to eat per day. I probably keep my fat closer to 70-75. The more fat I get the less hungry I feel.

I think 1000 calories is probably too low for you.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 30 pounds more than you (I guess I'm about 12.5 stone?) but am the same height, and my calorie goal is 1236 per day, which is a moderate deficit for me. I do allow myself to eat back my exercise calories (although I don't force myself to). Have you tried using the keto calculator to figure out goals for your macros? 1000 seems very very low to me, and I know I'd be starving! Also, are you hitting your fat goals?
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I am 4'11 and around 135. I usually eat between 1100 and 1500 depending on how hungry I am. Basically I go by my hunger cues as to how many calories to eat per day. I probably keep my fat closer to 70-75. The more fat I get the less hungry I feel.

I think 1000 calories is probably too low for you.

Thank you will try to eat when I'm hungry a bit more and see how it goes :)
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I weigh about 30 pounds more than you (I guess I'm about 12.5 stone?) but am the same height, and my calorie goal is 1236 per day, which is a moderate deficit for me. I do allow myself to eat back my exercise calories (although I don't force myself to). Have you tried using the keto calculator to figure out goals for your macros? 1000 seems very very low to me, and I know I'd be starving! Also, are you hitting your fat goals?

Yes I'm hitting my fat goals and still feeling hungry lol. Thanks for the advice I've worked out my macros and I should be having 1325 for moderate deficit, thanks for your advice :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Also, are you new to low carb? It took a while for my hunger to level out when I first started. I kept snacks with me and ate whenever I was hungry as long as it was low in carbs. After a while, my appetite leveled out and I could eat fewer calories.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Also, are you new to low carb? It took a while for my hunger to level out when I first started. I kept snacks with me and ate whenever I was hungry as long as it was low in carbs. After a while, my appetite leveled out and I could eat fewer calories.

Yes only been doing it 3 1/2 weeks now, probably a good reason why I'm feeling hungry :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    In the beginning hunger can come and go. If you are hungry eat lchf foods. It takes time for your body to fully adjust. I do think 1000 cals a day is to low, try to get closer to what the calculator said and you should start feeling better.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Focus more on what you are eating and less on how much. If you up the fat content you will be more satisfied. There is a six part YT series by Dr. Jason Fung that I highly recommend. It is a lot of information and much of it is quite dry, but he gives some very useful advice on cracking obesity. He de-bunks the whole Calories-In versus Calories-out concept of losing weight. Your 1000/cal per day limit is probably too low and more than likely unsustainable. Your body is going to get used to eating 1000 Calories and it will adjust your metabolism accordingly. Anyway, just my two-cents worth. I wish you good luck in your journey.
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    In the beginning hunger can come and go. If you are hungry eat lchf foods. It takes time for your body to fully adjust. I do think 1000 cals a day is to low, try to get closer to what the calculator said and you should start feeling better.

Thank you for all your advice and support, makes it easier to stick to it when you have friendly advice :)
  • pippacorcoran
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Focus more on what you are eating and less on how much. If you up the fat content you will be more satisfied. There is a six part YT series by Dr. Jason Fung that I highly recommend. It is a lot of information and much of it is quite dry, but he gives some very useful advice on cracking obesity. He de-bunks the whole Calories-In versus Calories-out concept of losing weight. Your 1000/cal per day limit is probably too low and more than likely unsustainable. Your body is going to get used to eating 1000 Calories and it will adjust your metabolism accordingly. Anyway, just my two-cents worth. I wish you good luck in your journey.

Thank you, I will take a look, in the research stage still, love learning new things on this journey :)
  • zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Calorie counting was really hard for me not to obsess over. What's really helped me is putting my MFP weight loss goal on weight maintenance. Then I get to look at how many calories under maintenance I am. Because I'm usually under maintenance calories, every day is either a small win or a big win;)

I'm 5'6" and 245 pounds. Started this WOE IN December. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 2200 calories per day, but average about 1750. 10% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 65-70% fat.

I'm trying not to look at calories TOO much because I've found this makes me anxious and hangry. I've lost 15 pounds, but my biggest accomplishment is sticking with it this long! I think letting myself eat as much as I feel like when I'm really hungry (as long as it's low carb) is what makes this WOE work for me.

• zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    P.S. Good luck on your journey. It's all about finding what works best for you! And it like your doing that
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're hitting the fat goal, but you mentioned feeling depressed. I'm wondering what is your primary source of fat? So... What kinds of fats are you eating? Something seems off that you're feeling both so hungry and depressed. This is so commonly a fat intake issue, so it's really hard for me to look beyond that to simply calories without asking about this first.
    But, there really is no reason to specifically try to eat that little. Honestly, you aren't going to lose tons faster if at all just because you have 150 calories less a day.
  • kdlepage
    kdlepage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What is a Keto calculator?. What does it tell you and where do you find it?
    I try to exercise 5 days/week and Im hoping my carbs could be bumped up a bit.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kdlepage wrote: »
    What is a Keto calculator?. What does it tell you and where do you find it?
    I try to exercise 5 days/week and Im hoping my carbs could be bumped up a bit.

A Keto calculator is used to determine your macro goals and calories.
    These two are very good.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Thank you for all your advice and support, makes it easier to stick to it when you have friendly advice :)

You're welcome, I don't want you to get burnt out before you get where you want to be. I've tried so many times and gone all in felt great then crashed because it was not sustainable for me. Are you getting sodium and magnesium as well? Magnesium helps me a lot with anxiety.
  • kdlepage
    kdlepage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks . I just googled it and plugged my number in. Unfortunately I just cut out the simple carbs not so sure I'm ready to cut the complex. I am struggling with out my bread :/ as it is.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pippa how many calories did MFP give you? It wouldn't have been under 1200 calories
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kdlepage wrote: »
    Thanks . I just googled it and plugged my number in. Unfortunately I just cut out the simple carbs not so sure I'm ready to cut the complex. I am struggling with out my bread :/ as it is.
    Obviously you have to be ready to do it, but you'll hear quite often that once you do it and get through just a couple weeks that your tastes change and you feel fine without it. Like you can have it right in front of you and not care.
    Kinda think of it like addiction. Except that it's possible to be around it again in the future without the "need" taking you over.
    That was me and sugar. Kicked my several movie theater sized boxes a week candy habit and haven't had even one tiny skip in over 8 months. I just don't have a taste for it anymore.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I put your stats into the scooby workshop calculator, and picked sedentary and the stats it gave me for you are:

-1881 calories to maintain your weight

-1504 calories to lose .3kgs per week. So yes, you could be eating a lot more.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/