Feeling better, but not losing weight

Options
imcantu09
imcantu09 Posts: 2 Member
I've been at OTF for about 2 months. I'm able to do more during my workouts. I've increased my weights in the weight room. However, my primary goal is to lose weight. I've actually gained between 4-6 lbs. I'm hoping it's muscle, but still sad about the scale. Anyone else?

Replies

• icban1ca
    icban1ca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I too have been at OTF for about 2 months. I used to go 3x a week, and have bumped it up the past month to 4x a week. I'm definitely feeling better in class. My endurance, strength, and all that is much better. But I think I've lost like 1lb? I too am hoping it's muscle. I measured myself with body tape and it says I've lost .25 inches in some place, but I've actually gained .25 in my shoulders. I'm thinking it's been the row machines making my muscles bigger? Either way, I feel you that it's kinda sad to not see it on the scale. Try measuring yourself and hopefully it'll show some results. Good luck!
  • seanadv
    seanadv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been going 2 months and have seen improvement during my workouts by being able to do more or go longer. However, I too am discouraged because I am not seeing any weight loss but have gained. I enjoy going though and do feel better about myself so it is a win. I believe if I keep it up, the weight will eventually start to decrease. I have not been watching what I eat and believe that alot has to do with that as well. I go 4xs a week now and have no desire to quit. One day at a time and we will get there right?! :)
  • ASN2615
    ASN2615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is everyone weighing their food? Last month, I went 4X a week and lost 6.5 lbs and 3 inches from my waist. It was also the first month I logged everything. The good and the bad.
  • Brkbll
    Brkbll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the OTF workouts. What can easily happen is that following a strenuous workout we can feel hungrier and in the back of our mind feel like we "deserve" a few more calories or perhaps we become lazy at tracking (justifying it with the intense workout). Tighten up on weighing your food and tracking while maintaining the workouts and see what happens. I only ever see weight loss via careful calorie monitoring. My workouts are always icing on the cake - very important but more so for my health than weight loss.
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein and make sure you are drinking enough water!!
  • mothiez
    mothiez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is everyone weighing their food? Last month, I went 4X a week and lost 6.5 lbs and 3 inches from my waist. It was also the first month I logged everything. The good and the bad.

this is what ive been doing and ive seen MASSIVE progress! try to be concious of your macros p/f/c.. and your required caloric intake. also dont forget water its soooo important. :)
  • smbrooks404
    smbrooks404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been going 3x week now for about 5 months and while I enjoy it and have increased strength and endurance, I haven't seen any weight loss. I don't track food like I should but I eat a very basic diet (like literally same thing just about every day and count those calories). I would love some motivation and help with regards to what are the best things to eat pre and post workout because I struggle with that...it's so hard!!! I feel like I am trying my best yet not reaping any rewards
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One question I have for some of you is this: Those who haven't seen any weight loss (and in some cases, gains) are you fairly close to your goals? I've been doing OTF for 2 months and I've experienced the same thing.. I'm wondering if it's close to an even swap of fat for muscle.. My body fat % has changed some (maybe .5%?). I weigh my food already, and I'm pretty careful. Sometimes I'm just not sure how much to eat either. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat 1600 cals or 2000cals or what. But I'm only about 5-8lbs from my goal..my goal is actually more about getting down to about 24% body fat than it is about losing weight.

Thought I'd ask and see if there might be something else in common with the not losing weight thing.

Also, those of you doing macros, what are you doing? I've messed with those some, but they don't seem to do anything but cause a 1-2lb drop and then plateau (which comes back around my next period cycle and then stays).
  • MeenaKnows
    MeenaKnows Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found that it depends on where we are in our metabolic journey. I have around 80 lbs to lose. Interestingly, I got there (my overweight situation) through chronic under eating while juggling family/work stress over a period of years.

I now do OTF 3 days a week and Taekwondo 4 days a week. This when I learned I wasn't eating enough. My BMR is 1600 and my TDEE estimate is around 2500 and for the longest time, I would eat 1200-1400/day with no effect or worse, weight gain.

I had to learn to eat more to convince my body it is OK to let go. I had dropped 40 lbs and hit a 2 year plateau. It finally budged when I got myself sorted out.
  • rstojanov
    rstojanov Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For weight loss, you cannot reward yourself with more food. Save that for when you hit your goal weight, or reward yourself with a cheat day when you lose five pounds. Or better yet, reward yourself with a new outfit. :)
  • dprome2002
    dprome2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 2 of OTF and love it so far. I'm hopeful that my using MFP to track my food/caloric input + working out 4-5x a week, I'll see a difference with my weight and/or clothes fitting. I was assuming that everyone on this thread was tracking their food intake since it's on the MFP site, but it seems that isn't the case. Any successes using this two-pronged approach?