Being keto adapted

Options
riaward1990
riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
Hi everyone.

I've been keto for a month and can definitely see this WOE fitting in with my life long term. In looking for advice from some long term keto-ers

I know there will be times in the future when I will consume more carbs than I want. My mum's 50 birthday party is in the summer and will be a fancy afternoon tea, where all the food will be carby.I won't miss out on this really special day for my mum so I know that for one meal, I will consume sugar.

I'm wondering how one day effects someone who is keto adapted. Does it make you go back to square one and having to adapt all over again or can you get back to normal straight away?

Thanks

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is tough to answer because "keto-adapted" is so poorly defined.

In terms of fat burning, no problem. Even without any adaptations, you can get something like 90% of your energy from fat just by carb restriction. Adaptation can bring that up to something like 92%.

In terms of athletic performance, I don't think there's a problem, but it hasn't been studied AFAIK. If you make new mitochondria and new enzymes, you shouldn't lose them overnight I'd think.

In terms of short-term water-weight and kidney adaptation, yes, you're likely to see some changes there. It shouldn't take more than 4-5 days to get back on course. The gain in water weight does tend to freak people out, though. Just don't freak out. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You'll no doubt bounce back in a few days.
    My personal belief is that there is a possible emotional pitfall in thinking that not participating in eating the foods that make us fat and sick would somehow interfere with participation, support and enjoyment of a special event.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok. I feel like through the last month my body has become used to using fat. The bad breath had gone. Most of the cravings are gone and I go long periods of time without feeling hungry.

I'd hate to have one bad meal and go back to the keto flu and cravings again
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The bad breath is part of the kidney adaptations, and you'll lose those pretty quickly, but not with one cheat day. Personally, I go in and out of ketosis all the time (because I'm no longer targeting any specific macro targets), and nobody has complained about any funny smells. :)

Keto flu is definitely a possibility, but that can be easily managed by sodium intake. Again, since I go in and out all the time, I'm pretty sensitive to my sodium needs. I salt up as soon as I feel the first sign of light-headedness.

Hunger and cravings, maybe. A hunger hormone (ghrelin) is suppressed during ketosis. From personal experience, I don't feel hungry, but carb cravings can return if I'm too loose with carb intake. Potentially a slippery slope.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that there is a possible emotional pitfall in thinking that not participating in eating the foods that make us fat and sick would somehow interfere with participation, support and enjoyment of a special event.

I wrestle with this on the opposite side. My brother won't have a piece of cake to celebrate my kids birthday's(or anyone in the family) because he gave up sugar to relieve joint pain. It bugs me to no end that I have to explain to my 4 year old that her uncle can't eat cake...because I don't believe it. One small piece of cake won't give him joint pain...and while i respect his discipline I still wrestle with this. In the case of the original poster, one day of sampling some sugary foods won't make you fat or sick...nor could it, it's the combination of years of struggling. And yet I recognize that for some it's necessary to avoid altogether the foods that caused so much grief in the past.

Anyways, to the point of the OP...you'll be fine if you have a few hours eating carby foods if you get right back on the keto horse the next morning. Even while only in a keto state for 4-5 weeks I can have days of 200grams of carbs once a week for multiple weeks and still maintain my weight loss...so do it if you would like but then get back to business :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I was saying that it sounds possibly problematic to put so much importance on the actual food that is eaten at parties and equating it to being able to enjoy oneself.
    But, I can tell you that I had 1 single slightly high carb day due to eating at an Asian buffet where the sauces were all sweet tasting. I made every effort to get as little sauce as possible. My stomach was so sick for 2 days because of that one very responsible, slight cheat.
    So I'm gonna have to disagree with you.
    I don't think it's fair to put pressure on someone to just have one small treat when they are so clearly against it.
    I wouldn't ask an alcoholic to have just one shot.
    If someone is being that firm in their position, you can believe they need to be.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I go to parties all the time and never eat the food. I have celiac disease and I do keto for RA. My nephews just know that Aunt Ang doesn't eat cake, or pizza, or whatever. Honestly it's never really been a topic that troubles them in the least. It's kind of no big deal.

To the OP...I've only been keto 5 months. The other night for my birthday dinner I had some gluten free lasagna and a hot fudge sundae and well nothing really happened. I'm still in ketosis and I feel normal. I think I didn't get kicked out of ketosis because of some intense snow shoveling prior to dinner. At any rate...the dinner was planned and I was prepared to get kicked out of keto and go back in. So the number one thing is to just not freak over water weight or electrolyte issues. Just be prepared.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you want to eat more carbs than normal, and have no health issues over it, then go ahead. My guess though is that you'll end up eating more low carb foods anyways.

I've had a few events where I gave myself permission to go over 30g of carbs but I rarely end up doing it. I'll have the cheese dip on celery instead of crackers, and nibble on lunch meats without putting them in bread. I did have some extra carbs, but it wasn't high and no one even noticed that I didn't go on a carb binge except me. ;)
    Smoked33 wrote: »

I wrestle with this on the opposite side. My brother won't have a piece of cake to celebrate my kids birthday's(or anyone in the family) because he gave up sugar to relieve joint pain. It bugs me to no end that I have to explain to my 4 year old that her uncle can't eat cake...because I don't believe it. One small piece of cake won't give him joint pain...and while i respect his discipline I still wrestle with this. In the case of the original poster, one day of sampling some sugary foods won't make you fat or sick...nor could it, it's the combination of years of struggling. And yet I recognize that for some it's necessary to avoid altogether the foods that caused so much grief in the past.

Your brother probably appreciates that you bite your tongue. I have food sensitivities where a crumb or a bite will cause me pain for days, weeks, or occasionally a month or so. Joint pain to the point where scissors are almost impossible and it hurts to hold up a book. Having a bite of cake isn't worth the risk sometimes... or ever for some.

The fact that your son's uncle came to celebrate with him is the main thing. :) My kids have some food sensitivities and allergies and that is what I tell them when they go to parties where the food is health or life threatening - we are there for the people we care about and not just to eat. They mostly get it too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And, isn't there just something wrong with the statement "CANT eat cake". Why is it automatically can't? Why isn't it, he doesn't want cake. He doesn't like cake. Cake makes his body feel bad.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Smoked33 . I am someone who would experience body pain (aching arms and legs), and headaches too, from eating a few bites (let alone a whole piece!) and it can happen the same day as eating it! I am judged by my family the same way, and it doesn't feel nice. Encouragement in consumption of "cheats" isn't always appropriate. I choose not to hurt, so I would choose not to eat if carbage were the only options. We all have a choice to make :smiley:
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the perspective folks...and I have always kept silent because even though he's never really talked to me about it he is an adult and can make his choice. He's never explained it to me such that he suffers as you've described but perhaps he does and just doesn't want to talk about it.

I'll give another example. My sister in law has IBS issues and hasn't totally figured out all that she can't eat. She will have some foods when we get together for some celebration like a birthday or xmas and suffer the next day having to lie on the couch most of the day. Her husband doesn't like it but she wants to enjoy the day with everyone and eat foods she likes but shouldn't eat... so there's an example where it's worth doing for her. I imagine I would fall into this camp...if it came down to discomfort i'd probably indulge occasionally but if were more serious pain I may not...but I suppose I can't really say for certain.

I guess it comes down to how serious the aversion/sensitivity and is obviously different for different people
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to how serious the aversion/sensitivity and is obviously different for different people

You are probably right.

I always just bring an alternate dessert to share with everybody and then it is a non issue. Plus many could have two types of dessert if they dare to try a gluten-free, sugar free, low carb dessert ... And if I actually describe it as thus, then there is much more for me and the kids. Bwahahaha. ;)