Sugar alcohol

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
I bought some snacks for an endless car ride to Texas. Among these things are a package of Atkins caramel chocolate peanut nougat bars. It states on the front of the box that each bar contains 2g net carb. Once I got it home I read the nutrition facts. There are 20 g total carbs, 11g dietary fiber and 7 g of sugar alcohol. There is also 11g fat and 9g protein. While I would not use these as a normal part of my diet, I wanted them to fend off a food plan binge disaster.

How do you feel about subtracting sugar alcohol from total carbs to get net carbs? Is this "allowed?"

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I subtract sugar alcohols and have had no problems with it. I regularly have the Russell Stover sugar free candies in my desk drawer for times I want something. its a very individual thing, some people do not subtract the sugar alcohols and for some they can cause cravings. It really depends on how you feel after eating them. I've consistently lost weight while incorporating those in my diet and I do not get binge feelings after consuming them. I would say that anything is "allowed" if you want to allow it :) try them and see how you feel. I do know that if I have quest bars in my rotation I will crave them like there is no tomorrow and they do not make me feel full at all. So that is one thing that I don't include in my eating plan.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on the sugar alcohol. My understanding is that you can subtract erythritol, xylitol, and mannitol. You probably shouldn't subtract maltitol, lactitol, or sorbitol.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    It depends on the sugar alcohol. My understanding is that you can subtract erythritol, xylitol, and mannitol. You probably shouldn't subtract maltitol, lactitol, or sorbitol.

you probably should avoid malitol if possible it can cause horrid digestive discomfort :) some candies do have small amounts, they don't seem to bother me but anything with a large amount in it is a no go
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't subtract anything. I don't see anything wrong with just allowing extra carbs that day if you decide you want that item. So maybe 20 is the goal, but you decide to allow an Atkins bar for whatever reason. Then you get around 40-50 instead. It's not a big deal in the end and it's actually the same thing. Just sounds better with that smaller number...
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have those exact atkins bars and I do subtract the sugar alcohols for anything that I feel *should* have them. Candy, a bar like those, quest, shakes by atkins, etc But I don't subtract them from things like frozen pizza or dinners because why the heck are you putting sugar alcohols in that in the first place!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don 't subtract them because I don't count and even if I did I couldn't be bothered, but I do try to avoid them because pretty much all of them (even quest etc) kick me out of ketosis for one or two days and some of them trigger my binge feelings.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like erythritol and xylitol in moderation. I can feel the difference between having those, and having sucrose.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I subtract them but I don't have them often.