Ulcers - Caused by Gut Bacteria - Not Stress or Diet? Who Knew???

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, I ran across this article, today, almost at random.

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/otherdigestivediseases/f/Stomach-Ulcers-Caused-By-Stress.htm

1) I didn't know ulcers were caused by bacteria
2) I didn't really think about the fact that if we are around other people/intimate with others (i.e. kissing) that even if we have a great gut culture that we could get sick from bacteria transfer, despite how much sense that makes...
3) GUT HEALTH apparently really is EVERYTHING

Goodness. Overwhelmed again today.

Replies

• kbhmmom
    kbhmmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep - I found this out the hard way, when I went to see my internist because of feeling wiped out and literally falling asleep at my desk during the work day. Turns out I was extremely anemic and wound up in the hospital for testing and blood transfusions. The cause of my anemia was a small bowel bleed from ulcerations. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the cause of my ulcers was apparently NSAID use. I am thankful that it was something that simple, though, and not Crohn's or something similar. It was quite an interesting ordeal, nonetheless.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't looked at your site yet, but this is what I have been studying for the last 2-3 months. I am surprised you haven't seen my posts/blogs on my wall talking about this. As a matter of fact, I think you started the ball rolling with me looking into this with your Kombucha! :)

Bad/wrong ratio of gut microbes cause all digestive orders, most chronic diseases, inflammation, cancers, ADD, Colic in babies, diabetes, obesity, autism, depression and other psychological maladies and pretty much most all autoimmune diseases.

Keto/low carb diets are only a stepping stone to correct many maladies, but if you study farther, you'll find out that its the gut microbes doing all the damage. Eating less carbs/sugars/gluten, as in a Keto diet, actually helps correct the gut flora. Most keto'ers don't know this dynamic, they only know that it works. But keto/low carb doesn't go far enough. It doesn't "add" anything back after it did all the subtracting ~ its mostly a subtraction diet.

Take the extra step and google/YouTube:

probiotics
    GAPS diet
    Microbiome diet

Then start with ADDING to your low carb diet:

Low carb fermented foods
    Probiotics
    Prebiotics
    Live fermented dairy ~ yogurt, kefir, etc
    Live kombucha, water kefirs, etc

One warning though, when correcting your gut microbes, you have to go slow... (I think tyou warned me about this with Kombucha...!) Why? Because large changes in your gut flora cause a short term "die-off" of the bad gut microbes, which leads to rashes, headaches, and other small maladies. Its like an innoculation, your body reacts and afterwards you get stronger. I think in medical terms this is called:

Herxheimer reaction
    Herxheimer effect (google it)

Furthermore, I don't want to be KETO and restricted all my life as to what I can eat. I want to be a normal healthy person ~ who isn't one ounce overweight, BUT, can eat a couple pieces of toast, slice of pie, some french fries, an apple or some pineapple, a bowl of rice, and/or (xxxxx <insert your favorite carb) and NOT gain 10 pounds! There are millions of people on this planet that can do this. I think its in the gut flora. Google it.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting!

A few years ago when I was taking interferon for MS, I took a lot of ibuprofen to counteract the flu-like symptoms it caused. I developed a pre-ulcer condition. Not fun!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had two bleeding stomach ulcers from taking ibuprofen regularly for knee arthritis. I was hospitalized, and it took a long time to recover. But it was the beginning of good things -- recommitted to losing weight, exercising vigorously and smartly both of which helps the arthritis, eating lower carb/no sugar which also really helps arthritis, and of course NO ibuprofen or anything else (except I ice my knees if they bother me after a run or other intense exercise).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Did you read the whole heroic story of the Nobel winning doctor who proved that ulcers are caused by H. pylori, by giving himself an H. pylori infection?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I haven't looked at your site yet, but this is what I have been studying for the last 2-3 months. I am surprised you haven't seen my posts/blogs on my wall talking about this. As a matter of fact, I think you started the ball rolling with me looking into this with your Kombucha! :)

Bad/wrong ratio of gut microbes cause all digestive orders, most chronic diseases, inflammation, cancers, ADD, Colic in babies, diabetes, obesity, autism, depression and other psychological maladies and pretty much most all autoimmune diseases.

Keto/low carb diets are only a stepping stone to correct many maladies, but if you study farther, you'll find out that its the gut microbes doing all the damage. Eating less carbs/sugars/gluten, as in a Keto diet, actually helps correct the gut flora. Most keto'ers don't know this dynamic, they only know that it works. But keto/low carb doesn't go far enough. It doesn't "add" anything back after it did all the subtracting ~ its mostly a subtraction diet.

Take the extra step and google/YouTube:

probiotics
    GAPS diet
    Microbiome diet

Then start with ADDING to your low carb diet:

Low carb fermented foods
    Probiotics
    Prebiotics
    Live fermented dairy ~ yogurt, kefir, etc
    Live kombucha, water kefirs, etc

One warning though, when correcting your gut microbes, you have to go slow... (I think tyou warned me about this with Kombucha...!) Why? Because large changes in your gut flora cause a short term "die-off" of the bad gut microbes, which leads to rashes, headaches, and other small maladies. Its like an innoculation, your body reacts and afterwards you get stronger. I think in medical terms this is called:

Herxheimer reaction
    Herxheimer effect (google it)

Furthermore, I don't want to be KETO and restricted all my life as to what I can eat. I want to be a normal healthy person ~ who isn't one ounce overweight, BUT, can eat a couple pieces of toast, slice of pie, some french fries, an apple or some pineapple, a bowl of rice, and/or (xxxxx <insert your favorite carb) and NOT gain 10 pounds! There are millions of people on this planet that can do this. I think its in the gut flora. Google it.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Unfortunately, Dan, I no longer have consistent wifi access, and so I missed most everything posted since Thanksgiving, on a weekend, or on a long overnight. I have enough friends in my feed that I can't even get through 36 hours catching up sometimes without being locked out for too many posts...

But that being said, I knew that gut was the key to health. I did not know specifically that it was a certain bacteria that caused ulcers, though @lithezebra I had heard that story, about they guy who proved it by infecting himself, I just hadn't put it all together...

I just found this whole specific topic interesting as my guy has been getting worse and worse heartburn as his ibuprofen intake has increased due to his migraines/ocular interference stuff. It just popped up out of nowhere and want to make sure everyone saw this discussion point.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My hubby had one about 20 years ago while in university. I remember arguing with him over it. He claimed, a bit self righteously( ;) ) that it was caused by stress. I, who knew him and his study habits well by that point, argued it was bacteria. I think I managed to keep it to one "I told you so" smirk when antibiotics cleared it up within a week. LOL
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/otherdigestivediseases/f/Stomach-Ulcers-Caused-By-Stress.htm

2) I didn't really think about the fact that if we are around other people/intimate with others (i.e. kissing) that even if we have a great gut culture that we could get sick from bacteria transfer, despite how much sense that makes...

Ummm, The first two haven't been news for more than a quarter of a century.

The 3rd is a really exciting area of current research!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Ummm, The first two haven't been news for more than a quarter of a century.

The 3rd is a really exciting area of current research!

There were news to me, as a person who had never had an ulcer or lived with someone who had one - and therefore had never had to do research on the topic in any form...
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Did you read the whole heroic story of the Nobel winning doctor who proved that ulcers are caused by H. pylori, by giving himself an H. pylori infection?

Yes, a true scientist & hero for doing so on himself!