Bad couple of days wanting use food to feel better

Options
I have a couple of bad days at work. I'm stressed and angry. I had a glass of wine the first day (hate drinking my calories). Skipped the wine the second day. Today was the worst yet and I am even more stressed so I had a glass of wine with cheese crackers as soon as I got home. I'm not hungry at all right now and I have about 400 calories left for the day. But I'm afraid I will eat more than that just because I'm upset and I'm not sure when the work stress is going to end, so food as therapy is not the answer. As matter of fact, food therapy is never the answer. I know all the cliche ideas like, take a walk or a bubble bath, not going to do either of those things.

My husband said if I choose to go over my calories I am saying "I don't care what I look like." I said what I am saying is "I do care what I look like but, this is going to take awhile and 1 day won't matter. But the most dangerous thing about how I'm thinking to me is, I'm not hungry but I'm going to eat anyway because I don't want or know anything else to do to make myself not feel stressed.

Anyone out there every experienced this and successfully navigated their way through it?

Replies

• seelemonster
    seelemonster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I lost a close friend and coworker last week. Between clients bringing in food and other coworkers bringing in food I lost my control and ate everything in sight. I usually try to keep my hands busy and attention focused elsewhere. It is soooo difficult! My mother-in-law taught me how to knit a couple of years ago, so that is my go to project. Or I dive into a new/favorite book and lose myself in the pages. I like to walk when it is warmer but at 27 with the feel of 15, I am just not up to it.
  • Kimberly789
    Kimberly789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I crochet so much the muscle in my right arm is bigger than my left, LOL. I started doing it to have something to do while I watch tv instead of eating. I made it through last night without going over my calories, so I guess I proved I can survive. It helps to have a place like this to share similar experiences. Thanks for your response.
  • kristy31280
    kristy31280 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd but if you paint your nails it is harder to eat.
    Or floss and brush your teeth use mouth wash. It might deter so you can decide is it hunger....boredom...stress.
    Maybe plan your "approved splurge"
    Mini pack of cookies
    Small cupcake from real bakery
    Small bag of chips..
    I won't eat my kids snacks but if I ever out and bought a single pack for myself knowing I did everything to prevent overbinging I would be proud to eat my planned treat. Work it
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I think I am coming down with some kind of stomach/cold bug. I have to say I am almost happy about that because I am also feeling very sad and frustrated about something and if I didn't feel nauseous, I might eat everything in sight. Sad but true. Only recently beginning to actually connect feelings with the overwhelming urge to stuff them back with food...I guess that is progress, but it isn't easy to cope with. And my support system is so low now after years of isolating and hiding behind serious poundage. Still, I'm glad to be making changes and I try to believe that maybe one or two of my dreams will come into my life soon. the process of transformation is surely challenging and I think I'm up to it; just having a moment of feeling down. Hope it passes soon.
  • Kimberly789
    Kimberly789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    current solution to initial problem, no more cheese crackers in the house and no more of my favorite wine in the house. so next stressful day i have, my only options are tea, coke zero, or water.
  • danielletogether4health
    Options
    Being extra nice to myself - doing some art work - coloring, painting, digital collage sometimes work.
  • eleanora2016
    eleanora2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too, rough weekend. But it's a new week and we had some great news last night and got a contract on our house we've been trying to sell. It was a great offer and suited my needs. That goes a long way to lightening my stress level and helping get back on track working hard not to use food as my drug of choice. Here's smiles and virtual hugs to all who struggle with binge eating like I do. It is possible to overcome.