xylitol, stevia and ketosis

Options
l3long
l3long Posts: 153 Member
will either xylitol or stevia impact my ketosis? I know each are supposed to be carb free but when I have my green drink that is sweetened with these instead of my unsweetened green drink, I feel like I have had carbs. Is it all in my head?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners seem to have varying degrees of insulin response that's different from one person to the next. It could be nothing to behaving almost like sugar.
    If you're feeling it, then my guess is that you're sensitive to those. There may be another one that doesn't give you that response though.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hmmm .... wondering if this has anything to do with it ...

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2010/05/understanding-our-bodies-insulin/

But most incredibly, our bodies begin releasing insulin before we even take a single bite of food. When we think about, smell, or slightly taste foods, our brains trigger what is called Cephalic Phase Insulin Release. A food’s color, appearance, flavor, aroma, and texture can all impact how our brains respond to the idea of eating it. The goal is to prepare the body for what the brain thinks will be a sudden flood of glucose. The sweeter and sugarier the brain thinks the meal will be, the more insulin it stimulates the pancreas to release before the food even enters the mouth.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe that can be a possibility. I believe I have read about it before.
    It really makes sense to me. Because if I even have sweet tasting foods without sugar, I get cravings for sugar. Knowing that a release of insulin triggers hunger to varying degrees, it really makes my experience make sense. And I'm not even insulin resistant, I don't think. At least not to the degree that began showing symptoms...
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Experiment with your own tolerance level.

Test with a glucose meter an hour after only drinking your tea with or without.

Watch other markers that you know are specific to you.

My own gut opinion is that small amounts on occasion shouldn't make a big difference. ....in most people. But each of us are different.

If you ate a LOT, as in extremely sweet drink or desserts often, I think it would be worse.