Why do I eat when I'm bored?

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
I think everyone has experienced this phenomenon. The day is over. Nothing great on TV. You ate a good supper and aren't hungry, but for some reason you still want to eat something...anything. Why do we eat out of boredom?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Steak.

When in doubt eat steak.

Steak is always the answer.

:smile:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I mean, yeah I think that's right. Steak! But on the off chance you don't have steak laying around, I have spicy hot cocoa.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Habit maybe? I think personally I've gotten trained to this multi tasking mind set. In this over stimulated world if I'm not doing ten things at a time I'm not doing enough. So if I'm just watching tv I need to do other things too. It's a challenge to try to get away from that for myself. Right now I'm typing this, walking in place to get my steps and watching tv. I could just walk but mentally I can't I need to be doing more. So eating might just be another thing to do.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I call it mindless eating..and drinking. I'd open a bottle of wine and have at it all evening in front of the tube. Now, I opt for herbal tea. Making mindful choices. It also helps to have preplanned meals set for the day. When that's done it's done. The kitchen and fridge are closed. Let's face it, a lot of TV programming is boring. Finding a project to keep busy has helped me. I've been sorting through old clothes while listening to TV. BTW, I now don't understand the need to eat popcorn while at the movies. I've learned I will survive two hours without eating something. Lol. Just learning new habits I guess.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @slimzandra Funny thing, growing up we didn't have much money, young widow raising four kids, it was rare we went to the movies, if we did it NEVER included popcorn or any snacks. As an adult I don't even think about it, my boyfriend always has to get snacks at the movies, it's so foreign to me. I guess a lot of what we do now is what we learned when young, it sticks with you.