Keto rash on legs?

Options
ab6046
ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
Has anyone experienced unbearable itching BELOW the hips? I know keto rash usually presents on the torso, but I've been itching like crazy on my butt, thighs, and around my knees. I started low carb end of November and also developed an awful rash on my torso with legions the size of quarters, but with the holidays I discontinued LCHF and that went away, it could also be due to the prescription I was given. However my itchiness on my legs, which has no appearance, started when I reduced my carbs back in October and has been persistent except during the holidays. I've tried upping my carbs again and it doesn't help. Creams and cortisones etc. don't help, and neither does the prescription that helped the torso rash. I've poked around on the Internet for advice on this and haven't found anything promising besides dramatically increasing carbs, which doesn't seem to help with the leg issue as of now although I guess I should maybe stick with it longer term. Has anyone experienced this on their legs, and if so what did you do about it? I think I'm gonna have to just keep upping my carbs until it stops, assuming it's related. It's truly unbearable and it keeps me up at night. I have bruises all over my legs from itching as well as small scabs, and sometimes I bleed through my clothes. It's gross and more than anything, very uncomfortable.

Sorry to be redundant but I was unable to find the thread I was looking for. Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• SunnyDinCA
    SunnyDinCA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It happened to me as well. My culprit was eggs. Are you eating eggs everyday? If so, stop and see if the rash goes away (it took mine over a month). I now limit myself to eggs no more than once a week. Hope that helps :smile:
  • ab6046
    Options
    I haven't eaten eggs in weeks, strangely. But I do eat a lot of egg whites, however I've been eating lots of egg whites for a good year or so! That is good to know though, I will stay away from eggs to be safe!
  • SunnyDinCA
    SunnyDinCA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    FYI I ate eggs for 6 months....hard to pin point research on if its the whites or the yolks. Hope you get better, mine itched worse than 500 mosquito bites! One bizarre thing that helped was cinnamon paste. just water and cinnamon.....just leave on for 5 minutes or it WILL burn you! Another thing you can try is turmeric paste turmeric and coconut oil. BE CAREFUL it WILL stain and clothing item it touches. leave on for however long and shower after. ps yup I tried just about EVERYTHING... lol~
  • ab6046
    Options
    Yes, that is the thread I was looking for. Thanks! And SunnyD, that is incredibly helpful information. Thank you so much! The itching truly is unbearable and it is like 500 mosquito bites. The worst part is, my legs look totally normal (except for the bruising and scabs I've developed from the constant itching) so I feel like I've totally lost my mind and that it's psychological.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You could be allergic to almost anything. Do try the conventional ways of eliminating allergens just in case it's soap, or a food, and not the dreaded keto rash.
  • ab6046
    Options
    That makes sense, I'll have to experiment with removing one food at a time. This could be coincidence, but yesterday I had around 350 grams carbs and I haven't been itchy at all ever since. Then again, maybe it's psychological? Who knows. All I know is the itching has made me feel like I've lost all sanity.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you tried taking an antihistamine, like Claritin during the day, and Benadryl before bed? (It often helps any kind of itching). Over-the-counter cortisone creams never do a thing for me. I always need the prescription strength dosage, and it usually works for non-allergic itching too. I hope you feel better soon!
  • ab6046
    Options
    Thank you! No, I haven't. I'll go to the store today and get Benadryl. The itching hasn't started yet since yesterday's carb loading. But if it does I'll try that. Thanks for the advice, you've been very helpful!