Oprah REALLY loves bread!

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
I'm probably coming to this party late, but I've just recently clued into these WW commercials where Oprah seems obsessed by eating bread. Someone should tell her it's poison and probably responsible for her weight issues.

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she's generating lots of interest in Weight Watchers and their shares are going up. It's just too bad that they will be leading many people astray with their food philosophies. It'll be a big money-maker for the company and Oprah, but people won't be any healthier.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Aren't they the ones that make people think fruit doesn't count? Lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a kid, my mom watched Oprah, what I remember most was get constant weight change. She's done one program after another to lose weight and gains it back each time. She seems an odd choice to advertise yet another weight loss program.

I do hope one day she finds what works for her.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Aren't they the ones that make people think fruit doesn't count? Lol

Yes, though I think they have changed that. Seems every few years they have a new ww and modify how points are counted and what not.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's all a crock of *kitten* designed to do nothing other than suck money out of desperate people willing to do anything to lose weight. I wish they could all find their way here. I've lost over 45 lbs since mid-October thanks to all the great (free) advice here on this forum.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    It's all a crock of *kitten* designed to do nothing other than suck money out of desperate people willing to do anything to lose weight. I wish they could all find their way here. I've lost over 45 lbs since mid-October thanks to all the great (free) advice here on this forum.

Wait... You didn't mail your check yet?
    :wink:
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've known that WW has that is a valueable piece to their program is their WW meetings. I've had a couple of family friends do WW and the meetings and support that they got is really what kept them going....the one gal picked up the tips and tricks and eventually left WW and continued to have success.

I think the big push with Oprah's "bread!" comments is because people think you have to deprive yourself to loose weight....eating LC doesn't deprive you! Ultimately people want quick fixes, and regardless of how you lose it, it's going to require some level of work....even if that's just planning out your meals (not counting exercise!).
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Group support and accountability is important. Lucky for us, we all have each other. And no one has to pay anything. Well, no one is stopping you from paying my mortgage... :wink: ... but you know what I mean. lol
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds on Weight Watchers. True story.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a kid, my mom watched Oprah, what I remember most was get constant weight change. She's done one program after another to lose weight and gains it back each time. She seems an odd choice to advertise yet another weight loss program.

I do hope one day she finds what works for her.

That was my first thought too.. She would be the last person I would follow or take weight loss advice from, unless it was a tutorial about "how to be a life long yo-yo dieter :huh:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Those commercials struck me, too.

I will say, before we TTC I did WW to lose 20 lbs and it worked for me. I maintained for 6 months until I was about 12w pg and started gaining. Post-pregnancy, I lost the first of the baby weight with WW too but then I stalled and ever since then, I've only been able to lose weight with a lower carb diet of some sort.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I heard on the radio that she bought a 10% share of weight watchers. That might be why she is the spokesperson now.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    @landiodo She did and that is why she's the spokesperson. They were losing money and sought her out by offering the shares. She will be a big draw for many people.

I have paid them enough to own stock, too, but unfortunately, it was the love of bread that kept me fat!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    She bought 10% of Weight Watchers. She spent 43 million dollars, I'll bet she loses weight!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My MIL is a lifetime member. She isn't always at her goal though, she yo-yos. If you are at goal you get free meetings but if not she has to pay. Though they say you can eat anything on the plan but in order to stay within her points she eats a ton of sugar free, fat free junk instead of real food. Like fat free "butter" spray, artificially sweetened fat free yogurt, fat free salad dressing, etc. All her desserts are made with sugar free jello, sugar free cool whip, and fat free cream cheese. It grosses me out! lol.

I'm happy to be bread free in exchange for real butter, cream, and full fat cheese and meat!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    @anglyn1 ...ditto for me. I used to be a fat free everything, too. Feels so good to have the real deal!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    My MIL is a lifetime member. She isn't always at her goal though, she yo-yos. If you are at goal you get free meetings but if not she has to pay. Though they say you can eat anything on the plan but in order to stay within her points she eats a ton of sugar free, fat free junk instead of real food. Like fat free "butter" spray, artificially sweetened fat free yogurt, fat free salad dressing, etc. All her desserts are made with sugar free jello, sugar free cool whip, and fat free cream cheese. It grosses me out! lol.

I'm happy to be bread free in exchange for real butter, cream, and full fat cheese and meat!

you know that's kinda funny, I've never done ww but I've calorie counted many times. I would always go for the fat free, diet foods because they were lower in calories. when I first started lc I was reading about coconut oil and something said to eat 2 tbsp. a day, all I though was that's impossible, I can't spend that many calories on coconut oil, I won't be able to eat hardly anything if I do. That's when I limited to 1200 kcal a day. It was such a huge adjustment to be ok with eating a full fat dressing or oil in everything. After a month or so I learned I didn't need to "save" all my calories for later in the day because I didn't feel like I was starving all the time. no wonder my hormones were all jacked up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I never paid any attention to Weight Watchers or Oprah. I always knew that I needed to get right with my own issues.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to eat bread and lose weight. Unfortunately I now know that, for me, that is impossible. And now that I haven't had any in more than a year I think of it as something that I may have in the distant future, making it myself from the best organic flour (I used to make my own bread often so I know full well the difference in flavour from that and what is commercially available).

So now when I see bread I think "Terrible quality, definitely not worth of the consequences." And I start daydreaming about that "perfect" bread that I will make someday when I'm at maintenance. It's a bit like being in the office in Winter dreaming about the Caribbean sea, lol. But it works for me.

I was never tempted by WW, a friend spent a fortune in the online version and was very enthusiastic and did lose some weight, only to gain it all back as soon as she stopped obsessively counting every gram of what she ate. She wanted me to join but even at my worst weight I could never believe that a calorie from candy would be the same as a calorie from a nutrient dense food. I was wrong about a lot but this was just too absurd to believe.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did ww about 8 yrs ago, because a friend prodded me into joining with her. I lost 20 lbs in about 4 months, but I really think the success was from having support from my friend, not the points system or meetings. I did not know anything about MFP back then. Not even sure how long it has been around?