I just got 3 questions

Options
KyHymon14
KyHymon14 Posts: 33 Member
The doctor gave me some papers to read about the low carb. I guess I'm not understanding where my protein & fat should be. He just told me that my carbs should be between 20 grams no more than 50 grams. So I decided to stick with 20 grams of carbs. I'm supposed to eat 3x a day & I'm only supposed to be snacking if necessary?? (I don't know how true that is)

I'm not sure if its true or not but also my cal count is low. Im not sure if calories is supposed to be mattered or not. It says I'm supposed to eat 1100 cals a day but I'm not sure if that right or not. I ate 1300 cals today. No where in the papers did I ever read anything about calories, so at first I was thinking it didn't matter. But right now I'm just so uncertain.

Thank you for your help

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    There's such a range of low carb programs and recommendations. If you're trying to specifically follow your dr's recs, I think you'll need to call his office back for clarification. Is it a low carb/high fat diet or low carb/low fat/high protein? Where did you get the 1100 calorie count if it wasn't in the papers?
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

If you put all your info into here it should tell you all you need to know (how much protein and fat and calories)
  • pippacorcoran
    pippacorcoran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As for snacking, if you feel hungry on low carb diet there is no reason you shouldn't be able to have a low carb snack as long as you're still within your limits for the day. I've been told on here my calories were too low at 1000 so 1100 is probably too low. If you are eating low carb your fat intake should be high or your body won't have any energy. But the calculator will tell you all that :)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Research Keto diet it sounds like that's what your needing. And I at 1500 cals first 2 months of my diet with no exercise. (5'2 sw194 cw153) so I feel anything less than 1300 is too low but really no need to eat that low either.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    And yes, the keto calculator linked above is really helpful!
    I ate at 1350 until I hit my original goal weight, which for me was a moderate deficit.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    If the plan recommends carbs between 20-50 then that sounds like a keto diet. You might want to ask for clarification but usually carbs in that range are paired with high fat and moderate protein. The recommended keto calculator above would be a great place to get started!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe Google Atkins diet or grab the book. It actually tells you how much carbs, protein and fat to have with every meal, pretty easy to follow :)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things simple. Go with 20g of carbs and don't stress about the protein and fat. Always choose the higher fat option for your foods - so, for example when eating chicken avoid the ubiquitous boneless skinless tasteless chicken breast and instead opt for chicken thighs with skin. Not complicated, more tasty and filling. That will keep your carbs low, your fat high and the rest will take care of itself. Also, keep your salt up. Salt Ur food and maybe try having a cup of broth each day. Don't stress too much over calories. You will find that it's hard to overeat when you eat high fat low carb. You will naturally be less hungry. I also agree with your Doctor on eating just three meals a day. After a while you may find that you can go to two meals and augment with a small snack. During the work week I only eat twice per day and then have a very small snack in the evening (mostly b/c I'm bored).
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think it's really cool that the words "doctor" "keto" and "recommend" were all used in the same sentence. Positively.

Just sayin'.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Medical conventions must be promoting nutritional ketosis. When I went LCHF Oct 2014 most posts talked about MD's being negative on anything remotely keto.

Yes this moving a step closer to keto I expect is a trend that will last for years.