Healthy Mind as well as a Healthy Body

Options
grandmothercharlie
grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I'm starting this new thread. In 2014, I started with MFP to lose weight and get healthier. Although I'm not at my goal, I've done pretty well. I continued this in 2015 by resolving to take the stairs more often and will continue to do so. 2016 will be to incorporate strength training more often if it kills me!

In 2015, my overall goal was to learn to better control stress. I dealt with and solved some difficult issues at work, started getting massages (but still not often enough), made some new friends, and, most of all, have become dedicated to Tai Chi, a form of moving meditation. I want to incorporate more meditation into my life to continue this goal in 2016.

My new goal 2016 is to improve my mind, quality of life, and even step outside of my comfort zone. I think I do this pretty well already, but as I get older and time life looms shorter, I want to make the most of everyday. I'm going to start a thread below with a list I'm stealing from another group. I'm going to post here on my progress. Anyone want to join me or start a discussion about how you want to improve your life OR challenges and goals you face that aren't health and weight related?

animated-hug-image-0024.gif

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with this post and what I find hardest and what I find easiest. As you will see, I think you could call me an impatient hedonist!

I find the 1st one the hardest. I'm not a very patient person. I tend to want to see results, want others to meet MY goals, and I give up too easily in some things.

I actually do #8 and try to find something to do almost everyday that will really bring me enjoyment. You would be surprised how little those things can be to bring a large amount of happiness. I think that it is as much the anticipation as the actual experience. If I spend all day looking forward to soaking in the tub with a glass of wine, candles, and a good book, that experience takes on a whole different vibe than if I just hop into the tub!

So, for February, I'm not going to choose the hardest, I'm going to chose the easiest. Plan something everyday that will make me happy! Today: Shut my office door and dance at lunchtime for 1/2 hour no matter how busy I get!

muv4qwpso18d.jpg
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you for inviting me to this group. The list you posted has some very good ideas. I need to improve my mindset on a lot of things. I tend to be a happy go lucky person but I also waste a lot of time on negativity. So now one of my mental goals is to take deep breaths, to inhale my blessings and blow out the toxins.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Claudine (I hope I have that right),

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time with us. I like you deep breaths idea. I am not as in touch with the people who stand by me in times of trouble and I want to remedy that. So I am going to concentrate in February on #9.

Thanks Charlie!
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I know what you mean. I don't appreciate them as much as I should either. I have to be more grateful to those who support me.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am late Claudine, but WELCOME to our group, Good to have you aboard.

I also like the Deep breaths idea that you have. I need to learn to use them as well #7 "I am letting go of yesterday's stress". This one is really hard for me. I hold stress for so long, although exercise and gardening help it a lot.

Well, again Welcome to our group, and I look forward in seeing you on the "Exercise and Weight loss sight" for our progress on out challenge.. See Ya! :)

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    https://sublime-energy.com/2012/08/super-brain-yoga/ I think I'm feeling clearer with this simple quick exercise. My knees can't take the squats so I'm sitting down on the out breath and standing up with the breath in.
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Thank you ladies. Sorry I have not been around. I read the article with great interest. I never knew most of the things she was talking about in the video. Thank you for sharing the link.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    https://sublime-energy.com/2012/08/super-brain-yoga/ I think I'm feeling clearer with this simple quick exercise. My knees can't take the squats so I'm sitting down on the out breath and standing up with the breath in.

I cannot help it. A message from the ex fitness coach for seniors. Sitting down and standing up IS a squat. Well done! And thanks for the link.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I'm starting with this post and what I find hardest and what I find easiest. As you will see, I think you could call me an impatient hedonist!

I find the 1st one the hardest. I'm not a very patient person. I tend to want to see results, want others to meet MY goals, and I give up too easily in some things.

I actually do #8 and try to find something to do almost everyday that will really bring me enjoyment. You would be surprised how little those things can be to bring a large amount of happiness. I think that it is as much the anticipation as the actual experience. If I spend all day looking forward to soaking in the tub with a glass of wine, candles, and a good book, that experience takes on a whole different vibe than if I just hop into the tub!

So, for February, I'm not going to choose the hardest, I'm going to chose the easiest. Plan something everyday that will make me happy! Today: Shut my office door and dance at lunchtime for 1/2 hour no matter how busy I get!

muv4qwpso18d.jpg

I just wanted to bump this to the top so I can review again.