The Veggetti Recipes

Options
sherjoyt
sherjoyt Posts: 1 Member
Does anyone have a veggetti? It makes pasta like strips from zucchini. When you cook it in whatever sauce, it almost seems just like pasta!!! Looking for some yummy and low cal sauces with protein. I love pasta, but this substitute is just fine for me!!!

Replies

• KayV85
    KayV85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm after some as well, I've recently had courgetti with bolognaise and I loved it. Any other recipes will be appreciated.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Really any sauce or topping you would put on pasta goes great with zucchini zoodles
  • Velotarian
    Velotarian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made shredded chicken courgetti yesterday, it was really good!

Here are the ingredients for 1 serving:

1 courgette, spiralized
    2 tsp garlic powder
    Tsp oregano
    Tsp basil
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or tobasco sauce
    1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper
    Pinch of sugar
    1/2 tin of chopped tomatoes
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    7 black olives, chopped
    1 skinless boneless chicken breast, boiled and shredded with two forks
    1 yellow bell pepper, diced in small pieces
    1/2 a white onion, diced

Combine the herbs, seasonings and worcestershire (or whatever savoury seasoning you like) with the shredded chicken in a pot. Add onion, olives and pepper and fry until onion is soft.

Add tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, pinch of sugar, and reduce mixture. Taste at this point and adjust seasoning.

Place spirals of courgette in a colander or sieve and blanch quickly with boiling water.

Add courgetti directly to the chicken and tomato mixture in the pot. Mix through and cook for a few minutes, making sure not to let the courgette become soggy!

Serve on heated plate - add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes if you like (reminds me of parmesan!).
  • mandynichole84
    mandynichole84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this recipe. I have made it a few times, and my 3 and 5 year olds as well as my 6 yr old nephew and 10 year old niece ask for seconds of it. This is the link to the recipe. It is from the food network show the kitchen by chef Katie Lee. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/turkey-bolognese-with-voodles.html
  • feelinhappymomma
    feelinhappymomma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What's courgetti
  • feelinhappymomma
    feelinhappymomma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :)
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    IIRC a courgette is what a zucchini is called in the UK. So if I'm guessing right, courgetti = zoodles.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ? Eggplant
  • panta1
    panta1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do the zucchini noodles really taste like pasta? I LOVE pasta and would be excited to find a recipe to replace them with something lower cal.
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I saute my vegetti noodles with cocnut oil, garlic and onion. I then heat up some shrimp and drizzle lemon juice over it all.

I also have put homemade bruscetta on it with a side of seared scallops.

Great now I'm hungry, lol
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    panta1 wrote: »
    Do the zucchini noodles really taste like pasta? I LOVE pasta and would be excited to find a recipe to replace them with something lower cal.

I don't think that zucchini noodles taste exactly like pasta. They do taste really good with tomatoes, and with a lot of the things I like to add to red sauce, so they work really well as a low-cal something to eat red sauce with. They have a less distinct flavor and are more tender than spaghetti squash. For me, my love of spaghetti is equal parts love of the red sauce and love of pasta. If you are truly all about the pasta, maybe you would enjoy mixing spaghetti with zucchini noodles so you still get some of the real thing for fewer calories.
  • jnpaul3
    jnpaul3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I made shrimp scampi over zoodles and it was delicious!
  • Deena010566
    Deena010566 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What's courgetti
    Courgetti is zucchini in Great Britain. :-)

I don't think that zucchini noodles taste exactly like pasta. They do taste really good with tomatoes, and with a lot of the things I like to add to red sauce, so they work really well as a low-cal something to eat red sauce with. They have a less distinct flavor and are more tender than spaghetti squash. For me, my love of spaghetti is equal parts love of the red sauce and love of pasta. If you are truly all about the pasta, maybe you would enjoy mixing spaghetti with zucchini noodles so you still get some of the real thing for fewer calories.

• Deena010566
    Options

I also don't think zucchini noodles taste like pasta. But I've learned in the past that when you completely deprive yourself of something you love you will most likely gorge on it at some point. So what I do is have about 3/4 cup spaghetti and 1 1/2 cup zucchini noodles mixed together. So I satisfy that carb craving AND bulk up on veggies at the same time. I absolutely love it with Shrimp Fra Diavolo.
    p.s. this trick also works with macaroni & cheese - steam cauliflower and mix it, 2 parts cauliflower to 1 part mac & cheese.
  • Deena010566
    Options
    I spiralize a blend of zucchini, yellow squash and carrot and sauté it with a tsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt, fresh cracked pepper and fresh ginger as a side with cedar plank salmon or shrimp.

I also use spiralized zucchini and/or yellow squash to bulk up pasta in my Shrimp Fra Diavolo. I use 3/4 cup spaghetti and 1 1/2 cup squash noodles. Sorry, giving up pasta completely is not in my lifestyle plan :wink:

Finally, I use it in homemade ramen! A can of fat free reduced sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth), spiralized veggies, Nasoya Pasta Zero Shirataki Spaghetti (only 15 calories for 2/3 cup!!) and Asian veggies, maybe a little chicken or shrimp and a healthy splash of Sriracha for heat.
  • Deena010566
    Options

Have you also tried Nasoya Pasta Zero Shirataki Spaghetti? It's only 15 calories for 2/3 cup. It's a little chewier than spaghetti, but if you simmer it in whatever sauce or broth you're making, it really is a decent substitute. It's usually found in the produce section of the store near the wonton wrappers.