Plateau for some time

Options
vikashsinha
vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
Hi, I started LCHF 6 months back. After losing 10 kg in 2 months time, I am stuck in a plateau for the last 3-4 months. I havent gained back my weight though. But I should lose 10 kg more to reach my ideal weight. I have done the following in the last 2-3 weeks to help my problem, but it hasnt helped much though- stopped alcohol completely, Carb intake between 20-50 gms.
This is what I plan to do now to help me come out of this plateau - stop nuts completely, restrict cheese, initiate intermittent fasting, introduce bone broth and green smoothie into the diet and initiate weight training at least 2 times a week with aerobic twice a week. I want to see some results in a months time. Is there anything else I should try. I have stopped logging food in mfp for some time, may be I should consider logging again to check if my macros are right.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think the nuts will help a lot. Once they are gone, and cheese is reduced, my weight always drops. The IF, bone broth, and green smoothies are probably neutral compared to those two.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    what kind of nuts you found most harmful in terms of contributing, I have been eating cashew, peanuts and almonds mainly, In cheese I prefer cheddar - say 1 or 2 Oz per day
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    All nuts are bad for me.

Peanuts and cashews are probably the very, very worst. Peanuts are not even real nuts. They are legumes. Cashews are the highest carb and lowest fiber nut there is. The rest of the nuts are still pretty bad. Almonds cause me lots of problems.

I like cheddar and other cheeses. At 1-2 oz per day, you'll not have too many problems. I usually get problems when I go too much above 3 oz. Still, cheese and dairy tends to stall a lot of people.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Support @FIT_Goat s comment. Cashew nuts are way too yummy and easy to eat too many leading to calorie and carb overload. Almonds are the best of them if you must have nuts (ie emergency supply of 10 of them for when out of house and your at somwhere with only high carb options like my work canteen). Good luck sounds like the right interventions.

Like you @vikashsinha I lost 10kilo, and have 10 more to go and I am in what was a 3 week flat line n now is a slow down slope. I think patience as our bodies adjust is also one to add to the list.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Thanks SamandaIndia. I looked at cashew nutrition info. One oz has 80 kcal with 4 gm carb and 1 gm fiber. So carb content is not too bad. But I will stop all nots and cheese period. Lets hope this works.

Most people believe that calorie count is not important for LCHF diet. I stopped using mfp after a month or so. Do you think that stall could be because of eating more calories than needed and suboptimal calorie deficit?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I don't know where you got that information, but google shows the following (which appears to be from wikipedia) for cashew nutrition:

1 oz (28.4 g)
    Calories: 157
    Fat: 12 g
    Carbs: 9 g
    Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 5 g

It looks like the nutrition information you have is more accurate for half an ounce, and over-states the amount of fiber. It is also extremely easy, unless you're using a food scale, to misjudge the amount of cashews you're eating. It is not hard to think you're eating one ounce but actually be eating two. Even if you're eating just one ounce, it's a third of the carb limit for someone aiming for 20-25 grams a day.

I don't count calories. When someone is experiencing a stall, my first reaction is for them to reduce carbs, not start restricting calories. Remove the carbs, and the calories take care of themselves. You may just be very carb sensitive, and need a lower limit than some other people.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    my informtion was taken from mfp when you search for unsalted roasted whole cashew from wegmans. But you are right. Most other sources suggest otherwise. I have stopped taking cashews completely :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @vikashsinha I use this site to double check calories/macros

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Ah, I am not shocked MFP has the wrong information. I venture a guess that around half the entries I see on here are incorrect in some fundamental way, especially when it comes to carb/fiber information. A lot of people also have a habit of getting the serving size wrong. They put the information for the amount they eat. So the person might eat half an ounce at a time, but they put it in as an ounce when entering the information.

It's a common issues. I used to double check everything, back when I tracked and wanted to be accurate.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I always double check an entry I've not used before against sources that are reputable before using it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Something I found is that many people on here don't enter the carb info at all, as most are only tracking calories. I've seen many entries especially for veggies that list 0 carbs and 0 fiber. Best bet is to enter the things your eat regularly, yourself and use those entries each time.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I like to refer to the usda food lists for accuracy. They list macros and micronutrients, fat breakdown, you name it. Most of what I eat doesn't come from a package so I use that fairly reputable source.