TMI warning. Stool changes

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I guess I'm going to have every keto possible side effect that had ever been reported this time around. The past few days when I use the rest room my bowel movements are like water, as if I had a stomach bug or something. However I do not feel sick also I have no discomfort in my abdomen like I normally would if I had a bug. I've googled and seen this referenced when others have gotten into keto but I can't find anything that mentions what might help it. Has anyone else had this happen? Between this and the stupid brain fog I'm really having a rough go of things.

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My bowel movements go from zero to hero on this journey. Chèese stops my system, as does too much percent protein compared to fat. Fibre strangely has not much influence. Magnesium and electrolytes if overdone can create what you speak of. Took until i truly had enough fat in system to create stability. Takes a day or so for mine to settle. Keep up your fluids n get well soon
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem this time around, I'm about a week in now after a couple of months off and on keto (I was in ketosis for 6 months prior to December). Exactly the same as you describe and with no pain or discomfort. I put it down to my body readjusting to the high fat content of my diet. Touch wood it seems to be sorting itself out now. I'm trying to concentrate on getting plenty of fat in the first couple of weeks of the plan to keep on top of my hunger, I'm pretty sure that my %fat consumption is higher than ever this time around.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Similar issues here but with some discomfort. I'm 3.5 months into keto and find that I will go two or three days with no activity in the bathroom and then a day or two of escalating cramps and very loose stool. I don't like the cramps but I def feel much better afterward. I'm having to time when I weigh myself based on bowel movements now, which is another change. I think I'm going to get some mag supplements to see if they might help me get back to a regular schedule.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I take magnesium, make sure you get a highly absorbable one, if you get magnesium oxide it'll make things worse. I'm wondering if it's the new cream I bought, I never used cream in my coffee before and last week I got a local cream that is low pasteurized and delicious. I wish I'd thought of removing that before I had my coffee today.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I get that when magnesium is high and when protein is a bit low ( so fat is higher than normal 75+%).

Cheese slows that down for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The cream does seem to be likely due the timing. It could be that your belly will adjust to it. Maybe just try a smaller amount and see if it's something that you adjust to. But, of course we know that dairy in general can cause us all sorts of tummy troubles, so it might be that it just isn't going to work for happy digestion.
    The only time I've had that issue, was close to taking my supplements. But I take high dose vitamin C along with magnesium. So, I basically know when it's time to cut back the C that way.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks sunny, I'm going to try a couple days with no cream and see if that helps. I was using store bought cream before and it didn't bother me but I suspect that cream is so overly processed it doesn't have the same effect
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've never had issues with dairy, unless I overdo it on the cheese, but I had the same problem with a particular brand of organic milk years ago. And it wasn't just that batch, I gave the brand another try a few weeks later with the same problem. Hope that's your problem as it's an easy fix :smile:
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I kicked myself out of ketosis for almost a week at Christmas, but didnt have a horrific transition when I started this in July so I wasnt expecting the worst of things. NOPE, I was exactly as you described. The flu/fog was much worse and I had THREE days like that (not in a row either, one day on one day off...). It's enough to make me reconsider a splurge like that again! I thought a 'weekend off' every 5-6 months might be nice but not sure now!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I've never had issues with dairy, unless I overdo it on the cheese, but I had the same problem with a particular brand of organic milk years ago. And it wasn't just that batch, I gave the brand another try a few weeks later with the same problem. Hope that's your problem as it's an easy fix :smile:

I do have issues with dairy, milk and yogurt specifically. But since being lc I had been fine to put heavy cream in stuff. I suspect this cream has more fat or something, I don't know how commercially produce cream is created, but this is literally the cream that rises to the top and skimmed off. It's possible my belly can't handle that, or I need a smaller amount.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I experience a similar reaction when I allow myself to eat ice cream. I don't think my body likes too much dairy anymore, except butter of course.

I also notice that when I eat more carbs, I will not be as regular, but as soon as I cut down on carbs and raise my fat again, my body wants to flush out again.

On a similar note, when I transitioned to zero carb last year, I noticed the same effect. No cramping or discomfort or sickness, but just a flushing out, then a new normal afterwards. I find digestion and elimination to be the most effortless and regular when eating the lowest carb amount while maintaining high fat. My triggers to discomfort are nuts, cheese and other dairy, and wheat. My body feels discomfort after eating wheat, then reacts violently to get rid of it. Yikes it's just not worth it.

So maybe the change from a higher carb intake to a lower carb goal is felt in your body too?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee a "cleaning out" based on the amount of hwc I put in my coffee each morning. Sometimes there's cramping with it, but it doesn't last long.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Kitnthecat Yeah thus morning was worse so far and I attribute it to the beer I had with dinner and the stupid candy hearts I ate way too many of. Felt more discomfort this am, plus gas and reflux. I truly think I can't handle regular beer at all :(
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I actually like it when I feel crappy after thinking I could get away with eating an off plan "treat". It really makes me not want to touch that food again. Reintroducing certain foods back into our routine might not be a good idea, due to so many ill effects felt afterwards. Live and learn.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yes it's so true, when it literally makes you sick it's really easy to stay away.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I actually like it when I feel crappy after thinking I could get away with eating an off plan "treat". It really makes me not want to touch that food again. Reintroducing certain foods back into our routine might not be a good idea, due to so many ill effects felt afterwards. Live and learn.

Me too! Strengthens my commitment! I've actually only had one off plan food in the last 8+ months due to sugary sauces at an Asian buffet, but over consuming alcohol took me a few more lessons before I learned. Lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I do have issues with dairy, milk and yogurt specifically. But since being lc I had been fine to put heavy cream in stuff. I suspect this cream has more fat or something, I don't know how commercially produce cream is created, but this is literally the cream that rises to the top and skimmed off. It's possible my belly can't handle that, or I need a smaller amount.

I used to have major issues with all soft dairy, but I don't anymore... But I don't know that it was an actual dairy sensitivity specifically.

But me personally, I have that reaction any time I have coconut oil (or anything super fatty) anywhere near anything with vinegar or high acids (lemon or lime juice). I also have that reaction with super high or super low sodium meals/days. So it might not be the dairy - or might not be only the dairy...

If you aren't tracking closely, it might be worth doing so. Oh, also, if I feel full and try to go at night when my body doesn't quite cooperate, it's super loose for me. But if I wait and go in the morning, my body absorbs most of the liquid, and it passes normally. Using my "Squatty Potty" generally helps me determine if I truly need to go - or if I'm just in that habit...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I didn't have cream in my coffee today and things were better, not 100% yet but better. I'm having a rough transition this time, but things are looking up so far.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't have cream in my coffee today and things were better, not 100% yet but better. I'm having a rough transition this time, but things are looking up so far.

Yay that's great to hear :smiley:
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues and had to give up dairy. It has made a difference, but it took two weeks. I miss cream in my coffee.