Options
TARGET65K
TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
How many Candidates are Atheists ?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Maybe 2. Trump, who is a huge panderer, and Bernie Sanders, who actually gives a crap about America. ^_^
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Trump says he is xtain, but I agree he is a panderer and might actually be non-religious. Cruz is the same. Bernie Sanders is Jewish, but I have no idea how observant he is.

As far as I know, there are no professed atheist candidates.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel any of the current candidates are qualified for the job. I'd say HillaryBot is an atheist, but I don't know that robots have a dog in the race.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Trump says he is xtain, but I agree he is a panderer and might actually be non-religious. Cruz is the same. Bernie Sanders is Jewish, but I have no idea how observant he is.

Bernie isn't observant. ^_^ Although it's more important that he's a humanist, imo.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options

OneHundredToLose wrote ¨Personally, I don't feel any of the current candidates are qualified for the job. I'd say HillaryBot is an atheist, but I don't know that robots have a dog in the race.¨

Qualifications for presidential candidates
    As directed by the Constitution, a presidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older.

My view on elections in the democratic free world is
    THEY allow us to vote so we believe we have a choice !

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Bernie isn't observant. ^_^ Although it's more important that he's a humanist, imo.

Sure - personally I don't care what religion a politician chooses, or anyone else for that matter... as long as they don't expect me to observe that same religion. That means if your religion doesn't allow abortion, then feel free to choose not to have one yourself, but don't take that right away from others (for example). I'm ok with a humanist.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TARGET65K wrote: »
    OneHundredToLose wrote ¨Personally, I don't feel any of the current candidates are qualified for the job. I'd say HillaryBot is an atheist, but I don't know that robots have a dog in the race.¨

Qualifications for presidential candidates
    As directed by the Constitution, a presidential candidate must be a natural born citizen of the United States, a resident for 14 years, and 35 years of age or older.

My view on elections in the democratic free world is
    THEY allow us to vote so we believe we have a choice !

Yes, I know he meets the literal qualifications, but I personally want more out of the person deciding the fate of the free world than "I'm old enough and I was born here".

But you're right, it's the illusion of choice anyway. They choose who we get to choose between, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Bernie has stated he was raised as a Jew but that he does not practice an organized religion, describing himself as a secular Jew. He has also admitted to a belief in god and characterized his belief thusly,

"I believe that there is a connection between all living things, and that my belief in God requires me to do all that I can to follow the 'Golden Rule,' to do unto others and as I would have them do unto me," he said, according to USA Today."
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    From someone who doesn't live in the US, the lead up this election has been very interesting to watch from the outside.