Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Yikes, anyone who asks me for a recipe is going to be disappointed. We just wing it and cook by intuition in my house. My daughter makes it, and she heats the mixture up on top of the stove. Coconut milk, cocoa, xylitol or stevia to your liking, egg yolks, heating while whisking, then adding chopped unsweetened chocolate for good measure, stirring to combine. The eggs thicken the pudding. Pour into small bowls and chill.

That sounds so good!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    You guys are awesome! It is great to be back at it, however carefully this year. 13 lb to go.
    Exercise started Saturday. I feel so good after, yet I avoid it.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I'm doing it all wrong. I've been drinking BPC. Well, maybe one of these days I'll work up to a water and black coffee fast. In the meantime, I have lost a few pounds this week with my BPC fast.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @Mami1976D you know that it's whatever works for you! No right and wrong.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference in "Fasting" and doing a "Fat fast"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis effectively mimics a fasted state. So fat fasting really doesn't change much does it? Just that you're burning some consumed fat instead of stored fat as the energy source. As long as you don't activate insulin, you're body is really having the same experience isn't it?
  • MelanieBruce1
    MelanieBruce1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The easiest one I think is the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window. Having a late breakfast ( ie: 10am) and no snacking after dinner ( ie: 6pm ) would give you 16 hours of fasting and an 8 hour eating window. I have been trying to follow this pattern, I have found that it reduces cravings greatly..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis effectively mimics a fasted state. So fat fasting really doesn't change much does it? Just that you're burning some consumed fat instead of stored fat as the energy source. As long as you don't activate insulin, you're body is really having the same experience isn't it?

I honestly have no idea of the ins and outs. It's the "don't go over 50 calories while fasting" mantra that has been drilled into me.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways of fasting ! Most result in a calorie deficit which produces weight loss. For many of us here, maintaining a state of ketosis is important, and eating a bit of fat helps prolong the need to eat which would end the fast, but keeps likely keeps us in fat burning mode, prolonging our fast.

I have done several variations of fasts. I graduated from starting my days with BPC to undergoing 3 day water fasts where I just drink water, black coffee and a bit of herb tea. But even now, if I feel I need for a bit of something while fasting, I might just have about 1/5 Tbsp butter with some broth to keep me going.

I really think that having a few calories of fat keeps us in a fasted state.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I like fasting without starving so will carry on my method. There is no right or wrong imo, if it works, it works :wink:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @Mami1976D no you're not doing it wrong, that is just one "style" of fast, namely, one that is more about avoiding an insulin spike rather than all calories. There's some research that suggests consuming fat only and avoiding an insulin response preserves some of the benefits of the fasted state.
    Depending on how loaded you make your BPC, it can still provide satiety under a caloric deficit and help people to lose weight over time.
    There's just not enough long term human trials to know how this stuff really affects us.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    My BPC is one cup (8-ish ounces) of coffee with 1 Tbsp Kerrygold butter and 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Nothing else.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    another way to do it is by following wild diet promoted by Abel James.

8pm dinner
    morning fatty (bulletproof) coffee
    afternoon green smoothie
    8 pm dinner

Google fat burning man by Abel James

Ive not heard of the Wild Diet before - Interesting. Sounds similar to how I roll on a not-very-hungry non-fasting day. My health issues can affect my appetite, and digesting solid food can be challenging at times, so I'll go for a liquid breakfast & lunch if I feel my body needs more energy/nutrients earlier in the day.

Otherwise I'll do a straight 16/8 to 20/4 fast (bedtime til afternoon/evening), especially the days I have reduced appetite. I tend to feel much hungrier evening/night-time and saving my calories until then means I'm able to eat really yummy, luxurious food in plentiful portions with my family. It doesn't feel like a calorie-restricted 'diet' at all those days!

I make sure to hit at least my minimum protein & fat macros within my eating window so my body still receives good nutrition & energy for the following day, whilst reaping all of the benefits of fasting.

Fasting feels surprisingly good when you find the right rhythm for your lifestyle & hunger.
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    [
    Otherwise I'll do a straight 16/8 to 20/4 fast (bedtime til afternoon/evening), especially the days I have reduced appetite. I tend to feel much hungrier evening/night-time and saving my calories until then means I'm able to eat really yummy, luxurious food in plentiful portions with my family. It doesn't feel like a calorie-restricted 'diet' at all those days!

I make sure to hit at least my minimum protein & fat macros within my eating window so my body still receives good nutrition & energy for the following day, whilst reaping all of the benefits of fasting.

Fasting feels surprisingly good when you find the right rhythm for your lifestyle & hunger.

do you drink fatty coffee or any thing else during your fasting period?
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    another way to do it is by following wild diet promoted by Abel James.

8pm dinner
    morning fatty (bulletproof) coffee
    afternoon green smoothie
    8 pm dinner

Google fat burning man by Abel James

Vika, I am now reading his book. Thank-you so much. I am reading voraciously.

I like that he is up on the IF, low carb, and exercising, because I want fat loss and to get fit with toned muscles.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I have naturally evolved to a one meal per day eating plan. This was not intentional, although I love to fast. I found that eating keto keeps me feeling satisfied, so I first gave up eating lunch, then switched to BPC for breakfast and skipped eating breakfast, then gradually switched to black coffee for breakfast and throughout the morning. My one meal at supper is very satiating. I simply do not usually have the desire to eat until supper now. So I guess I have an over 23 hour fasting period every day.

I also like to do extended fasts of 48-72 hours at least once per week. I might have two shorter fasts or one longer one, depending on my schedule and how I feel.

This has given me much greater control over what I eat, and I enjoy the benefits as well. Increased mental clarity, elevated mood and amazing energy while fasting. I seldom feel hungry.

Kit, I started BPC for breakfast, then do not eat anything until dinnertime. It has sparked new weight loss. The way you do it is actually not difficult (really not hungry), so I am a fan of your way. Not sure I can do 48-72 hr fast though.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Going to find Dr. Fung on yt. Sounds like several of you have done so. Thank you for all of the advice.
    -Dawl
  • kacowgill99
    kacowgill99 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    www.leangains.com has some great info.