Chuck Eye Steak suggestions?

Options
Keto_T
Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
Trying to save money, i bought some chuck eye steaks. They sorta look like sirloin but not as tender. I marinated them as per a website suggestion to make them more tender. The flavor isnt bad. Has anyone ever had any luck with this cut?

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've heard adding rock salt will tenderize it. I like to actually to put the cooked meat into a food processor and make cheese steaks out of it.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    That is my favorite cut almost! I've never had it tough though so maybe your cut is different from mine?? We actually think they are the most tender cuts lol take a pic I'd like to see
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use it to make Goulash. Cook it for 2-3 hours and the meat falls apart melt in your mouth. I also use Oyster blade or Gravy beef. But I would only use these cuts for a long, slow cooking recipe. I wouldn't fry them up like steaks unless you want to be chewing on gristly rubber :confounded:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat mine rare or raw. I find they only get super tough if I cook them too much. Some parts are a bit chewy, but I use a sharp knife and cut them into small bites and they swallow just fine. This is 90% of my daily diet, when my wife doesn't let me splurge on ribeyes. I've probably eaten a couple hundred pounds of this cut. I buy them in 20+ pound chunks. If you look at my shopping cart photo, in the other thread, the beef on the top of the picture is chuck roll. I cut that into steaks. They aren't all chuck eye (that's just one end of the roll), but it all eats the same to me.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Yeah I eat my med rare so that might be why they are softer to me lol
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I cooked one at lunch and it was a little tough but I overcooked some. The dinner ones were medium rare and a lot better. Marinated in Dale's Steak seasoning and they were SALTY but good.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Yummy I love dales
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yum. I love steak, preferably rare, but if it's overcooked, I cut it into smaller pieces and eat it anyway.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Chuck eye is our go-to cut. We don't even marinate. I just choose a nicely marbled one and sear like a regular steak and then in the oven for a few minutes depending on thickness. The marbling is the key to tender delicious chuck eye steak.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I stick tough cuts in the slow cooker. Last week I bought two 3 lb chunks of beef, stuck one in plastic bag with olive oil, salt, garlic, onion powder, and rosemary for 24 hours, then seared it and put it in the slow cooker. Came out delicious.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder that I personally love Chuck Eye! No one else in my family will eat it, so I've been doling out the bill folds for rib eye lately. I could just buy myself a chunkahunkachuckeye and crouch over it like Gollum.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Amusingly enough, that's what I'm having for dinner tonight. I'm wrapping it in tinfoil and grilling that sucker slowly. It usually comes out tender and juicy. Man, I'm starving. I wish it was done right now.