What the heck :-(

Options
Ok forgive this post I just have to blow steam. Before my WLS I lost 101 pounds on my own with no weight loss pills or meds and I felt awesome. Well since my surgery on Nov.11.15 I have only lost 23 pounds and I am completely depressed over it. That's pretty much 3 months of only losing 23 pounds, and before surgery I lost 101 in pretty much 6 months. Am I wrong in saying there is something wrong with this picture?? I don't know what to do to help this situation, and when I call my WLS office and speak to my nutritionist all I get is the same old thing they always say. I am eating like I am supposed to, drinking like im supposed to and I work out 5 days a week. I am a Vegan and I have had to add tuna to my diet because the protein shakes make me sick and that, is the only way I can get my full dose of protein in. Am I alone in feeling like I made the wrong decisions? I sure hope I didn't, I hope this is normal and I will get past this.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses at different rates, so hopefully that's what's going on. How many calories are you squeezing in per day, and what are your protein/carb numbers looking like?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the "trust the process" answer is absolutely the correct one and the one I'm going to say. I can say that I've had quite a few friends go through WLS and only a few of us had massive "first quarter" losses. The rest were in the same range you are. We were all reminded that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and slow weight loss really is best.

Beyond that, as you lose, your rate of loss will slow. Not only is weight loss not linear, but your body becomes more efficient as you get smaller. The same workout that burned me 650 calories at 300lbs now burns me 210 calories at 155lbs. My weight dropped by 50%, but my calorie burn dropped by 78%. And it's only going to get lower as I get smaller.

That's the way it works and there's very little you can do about it. And the things you *can* do aren't safe and can be downright deadly. Accept that 23lbs in 12 weeks is still 2lbs per week, which is a dang good loss. You can't judge today's loss by yesterday's number. Today is today. Work it today, trust the process today, weight loss will happen today. Repeat tomorrow.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with ki4eld. Unfortunately, the first 100 are the 'easy' ones from your body's point of view. When I was over 400 pounds, every movement was essentially a workout so when I dropped my caloric intake, the weight fell off. Post-surgery, I lost 80 more pounds and the last 40 were slow. What was different was that there was a lot less white-knuckle effort post-surgery, as I was unable to eat as much even if I wanted to.

I am still a solid proponent of losing everything you can prior to surgery because getting to goal during the honeymoon period made my early maintenance so much easier.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I am still a solid proponent of losing everything you can prior to surgery because getting to goal during the honeymoon period made my early maintenance so much easier.

If I could tell every newbie one thing, it would be this right here!

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 11/16/15. I'm kinda close to where you are. I lost about 85lbs before surgery, and my surgeon told me early on that I wouldn't have the same super fast weight loss that people do if they haven't already lost a ton of weight pre-op. That makes sense to me. I love the arrangement of my new body, and it is nice not being hungry. Also realize that you are building good, lean muscle while exercising, which is good.