What supplements/vitamins do you take?

Options
2»

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My husband (who eats higher carb than me and eats less red meat) takes a chelated Magnesium glyconate, D3, B-complex, and Probiotics. I also want to get him on K2. I want to wean him off all the rest because I feel they're socially-acceptable snake oil.

I don't take any supplement-form vitamins. I will use broth to add sodium if I get cranky. I will take magnesium if I start to get cramps overnight but I haven't had those since last summer. I avoid veggies in general. I'm not to FIT_Goat's level of meat only, but I do turn to animal products for my nutritive needs.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Is "broad spectrum magnesium" a good type of supplement to take?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of questions broad spectrum magnesium @macchiato. Maybe someone else can help with that! :smiley:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of that either. I have heard of chelated magnesium glyconate being recommended. I currently use powdered Mag Citrate that I mix with water. I works well to keep leg cramps at bay. I may try the other when I finish this supply.
  • Nymba
    Nymba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Calcium
    Vitamin D
    Potassium
    Omega 3
    Multi-vitamin
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I wonder if that's just a term that brand uses to describe a blend of different forms of magnesium. Can you read the detailed info on the back and see what form/s the mag is?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My intestines seem to not agree well with the magnesium oxide - or I took too much at first. I've backed down to one a day at night. I'll see how that goes for a week. Maybe I don't need it after all? I know it's a tough version to digest, so it may just be that I should switch. I just hate to waste anything...
  • macchiatto
    Options

I wonder if that's just a term that brand uses to describe a blend of different forms of magnesium. Can you read the detailed info on the back and see what form/s the mag is?

I got them for free to try. :) This is the description:
    UNIQUE BLEND OF 4 MAGNESIUM FORMS - Magnesium is one of the most important nutrients, but most magnesium supplements only have one form, meaning you just get a few of the benefits it can provide. The Pure Vitamin Club Broad Spectrum Magnesium Caps are made up of four forms of magnesium to provide the maximum health benefits while minimizing potential side effects: Magnesium Carbonate to aid in digestion, Magnesium Glycinate for long-term use, Magnesium Taurate for cardiovascular health, and Magnesium Citrate for colon health. In one simple supplement cap, you get all the benefits of magnesium!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I got them for free to try. :) This is the description:
    UNIQUE BLEND OF 4 MAGNESIUM FORMS - Magnesium is one of the most important nutrients, but most magnesium supplements only have one form, meaning you just get a few of the benefits it can provide. The Pure Vitamin Club Broad Spectrum Magnesium Caps are made up of four forms of magnesium to provide the maximum health benefits while minimizing potential side effects: Magnesium Carbonate to aid in digestion, Magnesium Glycinate for long-term use, Magnesium Taurate for cardiovascular health, and Magnesium Citrate for colon health. In one simple supplement cap, you get all the benefits of magnesium!

I don't know if having different forms matters or not. But since all of the forms you listed end with "ate" it sounds like a good supplement. Those are better absorbed. I'm familiar with taurate or carbonate... Never seen them on a lable I've looked at before.
    What's the dosage per tablet?
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate 400mg
    Biotin 1000mg
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ 200mg/day of magnesium total (it doesn't break it down by type). Would you take 2/day?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ 200mg/day of magnesium total (it doesn't break it down by type). Would you take 2/day?

At least! I personally take 900mg right now. I worked up to it. Started at 500mg of mag oxide, which isn't a very good one.
    Ha! I just went to double check that I was telling you the right dosage and the magnesium I have is carbonate! I'm a genius! lol it's a powdered drink mix with other stuff in it too and it's fizzy. Carbonate what be what makes it fizzy.
    When I switched to this drink mix type, I started at 600mg a day. That's what I commonly hear recommended as a good place to start by different pod casters that have talked about it. But the idea I've come to understand from those sources is also that up until it creates a response in digestion, meaning it makes you poop, then your body is using all of it. Any excess is shuttles out through digestion. So again, until you reach that point, you have not supplied all of the magnesium your body could be putting to use.
    Same is true of Vitamin C
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yep, i take 900mg every night before bed. Keeps me regular and stops my restless legs
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I found this link helpful when I was trying to figure out what magnesium to use. Someone had linked it before, here it is again. You'll see magnesium oxide listed as "garbage forms" :o lol, no offense to any that take it. I still have a bottle of it, since like everyone when I was told to take magnesium I immediately went to rite aid and bought mag oxide. But if you are having issues with it, it might be worth switching to another form. I personally take the glycinate before bed, it also helps with anxiety and helps me sleep better.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement which has 400mg of magnesium oxide and 350mg of potassium in it, to help with my BP. I hear that Magnesium Oxide isn't absorbed as much as other types of Magnesium (who knew there were so many), and that in 400mg of Magnesium oxide, only about 280mg will be absorbed, so I'm thinking of adding 100mg of Magnesium Citrate. No side effects to report

My supplements ingredients are;-
    Potassium chloride, magnesium oxide, bulking agents (cellulose, cross-linked sodium carboxymethyl cellulose), anti-caking agents (mono- and diglycerides of food fatty acids, magnesium salts of food fatty acids, silicon dioxide, talcum), hydrogenated palm oil, coating (hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, polyethylenglycol), ferrous fumarate, Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), zinc oxide, Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), colour titanium dioxide.

Nutritional Data
    Typical Values One tablet contains (% RDA*)
    Vitamin B6 6mg (429 %)
    Vitamin B12 6µg (240 %)
    Potassium 350mg (18 %)
    Magnesium 400mg (107 %)
    Iron 4mg (29 %)
    Zinc 5mg (50 %)
    Energy 7.6kJ/1.8 kcal
    Proteins -
    Carbohydrates 0.20g
    Fats 0.2g
    *Recommended Daily Allowance

I also take Seven Seas High Strength Pure Cod Liver Oil, and a vitamin E capsule