I forgot how hard the first day...

Options
Week and month is. I forgot about the headaches and the leg cramps. I also forgot how dedicated I was to the lifestyle change I made and how quickly I lost the weight, only after maintaining for 7 years I gave in to all my carb cravings. After balooning up to my highest and most out of control weight (mirroring my out of control carbs and alcohol) I am back to the basics. I have all my low carb snacks and meals ready to go. No alcohol this month (at minimum). Feel free to friend me. A year from now I will have my new body (back again) and a healthy lifestyle and each day I work, plan, sacrifice, sweat, scream for joy, and cry will be so friggin worth it. Best of luck to everyone on this same journey.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more sodium! Your electrolytes are probably out of balance considering the headaches and leg cramps! Try drinking some broth! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    ELECTROLYTES!!! The headaches, fatigue and cramps are due to electrolyte imbalance.
    3-5g sodium
    2g potassium
    300-400mg magnesium

Sodium is most important. It helps you hold onto the others if you have enough of sodium. Low-carb diets cause you to excrete more sodium, which in turn leeches the others.
    Magnesium is the next most important, especially if you are having cramps.
    Then do your best on potassium. Eat potassium rich foods and supplement by adding NuSalt (or Lite Salt-anyway it's potassium chloride) to your flavored waters and salty broth and even your food.

But anyway, hold onto that motivation. The first step is the biggest. You've taken it. All you need now is a consistent flow of small steps every day. :wink: That "c" word is the hardest part, because life will ever be a jerk and test us. A lot.

You can do this though.
    Feel free to add me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    All those headaches, cramps and fog can be completely avoided with proper sodium intake. They are all symptoms of electrolyte loss.
    At the point that you are having symptoms you've already lost about all the sodium you can spare so your body starts losing magnesium and potassium. This is where the cramps come from. Magnesium relaxes muscle. It gets low and they cramp up.
    Get between 3000-5000mg of sodium a day and supplement magnesium in the form of glycinate, citrate or any "ate" form. About 600mg is generally recommended. You don't have to take a potassium supplement if you just use a salt substitute (in addition to regular salt) like Lite Salt or NuSalt on your foods.
  • heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will Def look into NuSalt. Never heard of that before. I do usually take a potassium and magnesium supplement but ran out and haven't picked up more. I had broth before bed last night and that seemed to help. I think I need to drink more water too.