Went to Five Guys today

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
To be honest I was a little nervous. It was my client that wanted to go as it's something we've done before. But this time I didn't want to eat off plan and I don't have a lot of experience ordering in a place like that and asking for no bun. Well, it turned out great. I guess it is a common request and the young guy who took my order did so without batting and eye. He asked if I wanted it in a lettuce wrap or a bowl and added that he prefers the bowl because it's too messy in the lettuce. That was fine with me as I hate lettuce. I had their standard two beef patties with bacon and cheese with mustard as my condiment. I truly enjoyed my meal. Had it with a bottle of water instead of pop. No fries. Also, I forgot that they give out salted peanuts in the shell which was a fun additon to my meal and let me feel like I was having a side dish, just not fries. When I got finished I checked the nutritional info on their website and was pleasantly surprised that it's only 660 calories and one carb gram. I was worried that the cheese slices might have had a few carbs but I was wrong. I was very full from my meal, nut not crazy-sick feeling that I would normally be if I had also had the bun and the fries. So, all in all a great outing and will be one of my new fav spots. There really are some interestin benefits to this WOE. There is no way that I ever would have thought I could eat at a Five Guys when trying to lose weight. My last thought on this is how striking the nutrition info is when you compare the meals with and without bun and fries. The carb count is insane and the calories go from 660 to nearly 1500 with just a small fry order. I am certain that my feeling of fullness will last just as long if not longer in the absence of the carbs.

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Two words: YOU ROCK!!
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I always feel self conscious going into a restaurant and getting food "without the bun" or otherwise customized. Good job!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's great! Thanks for sharing the info. I haven't been to Five Guys in a long time. Not since going Keto. I'll definitely have to go there on my next opportunity.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great job! I need to go to Five Guys soon.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!
  • MiniatureRockStar
    Options
    Thanks for posting and that's fantastic! We all must be asking for no bun because no one has batted an eye at me either.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I love Five Guys! I always get mine in a bowl with grilled mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and extra pickles. Other burger places do bunless burgers without looking at you like you have three heads too. Carl's Jr even calls it a "low carb burger" and asks if you want it lettuce-wrapped or in a bowl. Hubby has recently even brought home Whataburger for me in a nice little plastic container, and they even remembered the fork! Places like McDonald's put it in a sandwich box (like the Big Mac boxes or whatever). It's becoming much more common these days, so most food service workers have encountered it. For me, it felt weird the first few times. Sometimes I even ordered my food the regular way and just threw away the bun, but I hated losing all the cheese that sticks to the bun, so I swallowed my fear and started ordering it exactly the way I wanted it.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one who feels self-concsious asking for the no-bun option. I'm definitely going to feel more comfortable ordering this way in the future. I will also make a point of frequenting places that do low-carb well.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love Five Guys! I'm Celiac so I've been gluten free and ordering bun less burgers since long before I went Keto and they actually have a great reputation for avoiding gluten contamination. They almost always ask if it's for an allergy and then they will change their gloves and clean the grill and prep area! They are a little pricey for fast food but it's worth it! :)
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel. Went to Macdonalds for 1st time & did bunless. It felt so liberating actually.
  • emf2az
    emf2az Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a question about keto. What's different from just regular low carb? Is it more fat? I've been doing LCHF for about a month with mixed results. Most recently I gained a couple of pounds out of nowhere. Is it alcohol that does that? I had alcohol last weekend. But it was wine, and nothing sweet. I would love some tips. It's kinda frustrating because I really eat NO carbs except for vegetables.
    thank you in advance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    emf2az wrote: »
    I have a question about keto. What's different from just regular low carb? Is it more fat? I've been doing LCHF for about a month with mixed results. Most recently I gained a couple of pounds out of nowhere. Is it alcohol that does that? I had alcohol last weekend. But it was wine, and nothing sweet. I would love some tips. It's kinda frustrating because I really eat NO carbs except for vegetables.
    thank you in advance.

Read up about Keto here.
    Www.ruled.me
    This is just one simple resource. The launchpad has others.
    Basically nutritional ketosis is a state in which the body primarily burns fat for fuel. To obtain this state you generally eat around 20-50g carbs a day from pretty much only leafy green vegetable and dairy sources. There are many beneficial health effects that can be achieved through ketosis.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    emf2az wrote: »
    thank you in advance.

If you are going to drink in keto you might want to switch to vodka or just about any hard liquor. A glass of wine has about 3-4g of carbs and if you are trying to stay around 20g per day a few glasses of wine could have an impact. Vodka, has no carbs. However, there are still calories to consider.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love Five Guys burgers. So tasty bunless. :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to requesting no bun (which I've even seen come up as "low carb" on a receipt, so don't think they'll think you're a monster), you then graduate to requesting kerrygold butter in your Starbucks espresso!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I had their standard two beef patties with bacon and cheese with mustard as my condiment.

I've read that when you order bacon & cheese, you can also ask for extra at no additional charge.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've never been and there's one a block from my house. I'm definitely adding it to the list! Thanks for the tip.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I miss a good restaurant burger
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Weird, it cut off the rest of my post. Anyway... Just a rant about UK burgers. They make them the same way they make sausage here, full of breading, making them too high in carbs for me and tasting more like meatloaf patties than burgers. I miss In & Out their protein burger done animal style rocked! They've been serving low carbers right for years.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am so doing that!!!! Why did it not occur to me before???