For those of you that have been there...

Options
Hi Everyone!

Looking for some reassurance as I'm about 5 weeks in to eating more than I ever have (consistently) in my entire life. Prior to those 5 weeks, my life consisted of eating about 1500-1900 calories a day and working out probably about an hour 6 days a week (either intense Pilates sessions, P90x workouts, Insanity, or 3-5 mile runs at 9-10 minute mph pace). I've done this for so many years, I can hardly remember when it started. It's probably been a solid 6+ years. I went through periods of time where I lost my period for months, where my hair was so brittle and falling out and I had no clue what was happening. I also lost all hunger cues, my stomach quit growling and instead I'd just get a little lightheaded or feel irritable. My sleep has been awful for the last 2 years - waking up 2-3 times in the middle of the night, tough to fall asleep. I honestly never put it together. I was lean, could run for miles and complete tough workouts, but didn't realize I was starving myself, quite frankly.

This past winter break, in attempts to lose weight (I was 5'9" 163ish lbs), I finally realized something was wrong. As little as I ate and as much as I worked out, surely I should be losing, right? It didn't happen. In fact, I consistently continued gaining weight the harder I tried. Then I found this community and did some online reading regarding metabolic damage and I knew I'd found my answer.

So, for the past 5 weeks, I've started upping my calories and have been eating more than 2000 calories per day, every day. Regular 300+ calorie "meals" about every 3 hours, and have significantly reduced my cardio and started focusing on a few sessions of 30-minute bodyweight/resistance exercises per week, with a couple 3-mile walks thrown in, and full rest days. At this point, I've gained 11 lbs, and am at 174 lbs. From what I've read, the "reset" phase of eating at TDEE (which I've calculated mine to be around 2400 using Heybales' spreadsheet and have been eating here for the past 3 weeks) should last a solid 8-12 weeks. At this point, my sleep has improved greatly which I know is a great sign, but I still haven't felt any noticeable changes in my metabolism (no significant hunger pains, feeling of burning through food - I used to feel this way before my metabolism was so affected)...so I'm wondering whether 8 weeks is really enough for someone like me. For those of you from similar backgrounds, how did you know you were ready to start cutting again? How long did you eat at TDEE? I'm trying to remain optimistic, but the part where your pants don't fit anymore and your face is growing rounder by the day is a bit challenging;..

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Felt warmer if winter where you are at?
    That is one sign, body is willing to expend energy producing heat to stay warm - rather than conserve the calories for more basal life functions.

Also - if you actually feel fat being added (water doesn't really increase in face), you might not want to jump up in calories too fast, let the body respond to small jumps. No need eating in big surplus adding fat really.
    If good strong progressive overload weight lifting routine being done - at least it could be going on as LBM and muscle for decent amount of it.
    But even then - slower would be better.

http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-female-athlete-triad-not-as-fun-as-it-sounds/

Just to backup that while athletic you can undereat and have negatives as you saw - even more might be possible you missed at least.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm so glad you found this group and were able to do your own research to back up what you had found out.
    The longer your background of calories restriction/over working out, the longer it will most likely take for your body to trust you again, and believe that you will keep feeding it!
    I agree with Heybales that it is most likely best idea to increase gradually, like 100 calories per week, until you are consistently eating at your TDEE if you want to try and avoid excess weight gain. Some weight gain is inevitable and is just part of the process in the initial stages.
    It is so much a mental struggle, as clothes feel a bit tighter and you the scale creeping up. But don't give up! You are doing brilliantly to get this far.
    Find a really good weightlifting routine, there are some great free ones available on eatmore2weighless.com and you will slowly see some awesome body recomp.
    I thought I was done after 8 weeks, but my body thought otherwise. I came from a long background of disordered eating, so I had a lot of repairing to do. I went through a lot of TDEE stages, tiny cuts, but didn't really lose any weight, so have been concentrating on eating more, getting lots of protein in, lifting all the heavy stuff, getting enough sleep, very, very little intense cardio, and gradually upping my calories all the time.
    Some of the ways you can tell that your body is resetting is if you always had cold hands/feet and now they feel warmer, has your hair texture improved, changes in your skin, general energy levels, mood stability, sex drive, nails and hair growing etc.
    Each person is different. Just try to relax into it, trust the process and know that you are doing all the right things to help your body repair.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but are you sure your TDEE is only 2400? We are the same height, I do weigh quit a bit more than you, but MY TDEE is around 2500 and you sound WAY more active than me. I'd think you would 400-600 more than your estimate of 2400.
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @heybales - Thanks, I appreciate you taking time to comment. Really respect your advice and insight on this topic. I have noticed that at night, my body seems to be running warmer than usual, which, after 5+ weeks of eating more than 2000 cals I'm hoping that's a slight indication that I'm doing better. I'd love your perspective on my approach thus far and whether you think there's anything you think I should differently. I've tracked the cals and weight gain consistently for the past 30+ days and will provide stats later tonight.

@rastaempress Thanks for your message! It is definitely a mental struggle, but not one I'm going to relapse on. :) It would seem that once I've gained these excess 11 lbs (likely by adjusting calories too quickly when my metabolism was still severely repressed), that I probably won't lose them until I start cutting again, right? Eating at maintenance for the next 1.5 months or so will probably mean I stay the same size, unless, as you suggest, I start a weightlifting routine which may allow me to recomp. Originally, I was going to shoot for end of February (9 weeks of reset) as my end goal before cutting, but starting to think I may go a bit longer just for good measure.

@justsayinisall Actually, given my repressed metabolism, I have no idea what my actual TDEE is at the moment. :smile: I'm going by what the calculators say it should be (recognizing that the TDEE is probably too high still because my metabolism is definitely slowed and likely not burning as quickly as it should after 6+ years of disordered eating). Eventually, I definitely think you're right - that I could eat north of 2500 calories and be OK, but as of now, I definitely noticed a severe weight gain the past 2 weeks when I ate an average of 2500-2600 calories vs. 2200-2400 calories...so that would seem to tell me I'm not quite there yet. Remember, I have been eating fewer than 1800 calories a day for somewhere near 6+ years, with intense bouts of exercise on top of that. Thoughts?
  • heybales
    Options
    I think good plan.
    The recomp is great idea while eating at whatever current TDEE seems to be.
    If you just love the cardio or want more calories to eat, can keep it up - but I'd confirm it supports the lifting - with no chance of interfering with it.

That change of plan will also change your potential and current TDEE, lower since lifting doesn't burn as much.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm saying, I think you are underestimating your output (exercise) because the calculators go by height, current weight, age, and exercise. If mine is 2500, yours with your exercise, has got to be higher. Even if your metabolism is "stunted", your TDEE is your TDEE. That's what you SHOULD be eating at. That's the whole reason everyone does a reset. To get your body back up to what it should be eating.

So use Heybales calculator and be honest with the amount of your exercise. I'm thinking you ware way way underestimating that part.
  • fitwithwhit88
    Options
    @heybales Thoughts on the below? I'm pretty sure the big gains in weeks 3 and 4 was from me eating back my exercise calories even though I should've left them be, given I'd calculated TDEE. Below is the date, weigh in (average from previous 7 days in lbs), average calories eaten per day from past 7 days, and average exercise calories per day. Additionally, I'm 5'9", and current exercise plan is three 30-minute bodyweight/free weights circuit training sessions (med/vigorous effort), and two 45-minute brisk walks per week, 2 rest days.

1/6/16 -168.9 (start)
    1/12/16-171.2 - 2231 avg cals, 215 avg exercise cals
    1/19/16-171.5 - 2460 avg cals, 202 avg exercise cals
    1/26/16-172.7 - 2620 avg cals, 167 avg exercise cals
    2/2/16 -173.3 - 2559 avg cals, 269 avg exercise cals
    Currently sitting at 175.8lbs for the past 3 days... :neutral:

• heybales
    Options
    So if you did incorporate exercise in TDEE estimate, and ate exercise on top of it - as you realized that is surplus calories already accounted for.

Considering possible inaccuracies in scale, that looks to be about 1 lb, and probably about right for amount eaten.
    Not desired of course, but expected on review.

But doing good job of indeed eating high, and gains are slow enough body indeed may not be up to that potential TDEE yet.
    Your literal TDEE is where you eat and don't gain or lose - and that literal TDEE could be potential or suppressed still.

I will comment, in the Just TDEE spreadsheet - your circuit training is under the cardio like running section, and indeed 90 min weekly won't raise the TDEE that much averaged back out daily.
    The walking won't either.
    So good program, but indeed your daily activity like many will be your main calorie burner - so confirm honest if kids and type of work if iffy.
    If busy with sedentary things outside exercise and no kids - then so be it - nothing gets checked for daily activity level.
    But I'm guessing you checked the box for kids - that's the only way I get to 2396 TDEE based on the stat's I've gleaned here.
    Confirm that's correct - otherwise TDEE is 2159, and there's that almost 240 diference.
  • fitwithwhit88
    Options
    Thought I'd provide an update for anyone who may need some reassurance... After 12 weeks of eating at TDEE, the below is my recap:

RECAP:
    Week 1 - 12/28-1/3, cals > 2000, start weight 168.9
    Week 2 - 1/4-1/10, 2152 cals avg, 170.6 avg weight
    Week 3 - 1/11-1/17, 2444 cals avg, 172.0 avg weight
    Week 4 - 1/18-1/24, 2602 cals avg, 172.1 avg weight
    Week 5 - 1/25-1/31, 2590 cals avg, 173.1 avg weight
    Week 6 - 2/1- 2/7, 2461 cals avg, 174.4 avg weight
    Week 7- 2/8-2/14, 2474 cals avg, 173.7 avg weight
    Week 8- 2/15-2/21, 2433 cals avg, 175.3 avg weight (TOM)
    Week 9-2/22-2/28, 2365 cals avg, 174.6 avg weight
    Week 10- 2/29-3/6, 2334 cals avg, 174.0 avg weight
    Week 11- 3/7-3/13, 2376 cals avg, 174.6 avg weight
    Week 12- 3/14-3/20, 2409 cals avg, 174.1 avg weight

All in all, about a 5lb gain over the course of 12 weeks, which I'm PRETTY sure I could've minimized had I realized in weeks 3-6 that I shouldn't have been eating back my exercise calories to the tune of nearly 2500-2600 calories daily. My metabolism wasn't prepared for it, so looking back, I definitely would've slowed down the increase and would've been more controlled about intake. Honestly think I went a little wild weeks 3-6 when I got so puffy that I was like "heck with it, might as well enjoy it while it lasts!"... I think it worked out okay in the end though :)

Today is the first day of my cut and starting at 2150 (from a TDEE of 2400). Modest cut, but hopefully provides the slow, steady fat loss I'm looking for. Will keep this updated with weekly or biweekly results.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A 5 pound gain over 12 weeks is awesome! (I gained 17 in 8 weeks :( and one would think that if I put on weight easily/quickly i could lose easily/quickly.)

You'll rock the cut, i'm sure of it!
  • heybales
    Options
    Congrats on physical and mental changes dealing with it.

Sounds like good plan going forward.
  • fitwithwhit88
    Options
    So last week was not a great week to start a cut...Easter, plus, staying at my parents with a broken scale, and limited healthy food options. I mainly ate around 2300-2400 calories and maintained my normal workout schedule, weighing in on Monday at relatively the same weight as I did the previous Monday.

So this week I'm officially on the cut. Yesterday and today eating around 2100 calories ( what should be a 300 calorie deficit from where I was eating at 2400). Yesterday and today, though, I've noticed some pretty bad headaches, similar to what I used to get when I wasn't eating enough calories back in the day. Thoughts on this? Should I be feeling this way when cutting or should the cut not have a significant affect on how I'm feeling throughout the day?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Could it be from less sugar over the last few days since Easter? For me, dips or rises in sugar levels can give me a headache as well.
  • fitwithwhit88
    Options
    @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Could be, yesterday's sugar intake was about 30-40 grams less than it has been daily throughout the previous week. And today's has been pretty low as well...just not sure if it's only the sugar thing or whether intake is too low again - my worst fear is ending up back where I started!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally get that!