Hope you don't mind a stupid question

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
I'm very new to low carb. I saw my doctor last Weds who said I needed to do this to avoid dealing with diabetes (prediabetic). He didn't really specify what kind of level to set my carbs at, just gave me a link to follow to get info which did not work. So...after reading a few things online I decided 50 grams would be ok for me for now. It was going very well until yesterday when I hit a wall with my energy and feeling like crap. I don't think this would be the ketosis people talk about since I'm not that low in carbs. Any thoughts? My carbs are set to 15%, protein to 20%, the rest is fat. Thank you!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all.

Yes, 50g is ketogenic.

And sodium should fix the feeling like crap bit. 5g/d is the recommended amount. Broth is the recommended delivery system.

It really works! And it works quickly. Don't fight it. And don't suffer any longer.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm also prediabetic, and changing my lifestyle for my health.

I find that 50g total carbs (not net) is a really great "max limit" for me. I typically end up eating around 20g. When you cut out sugar and grains, it becomes really easy to stay on the lower end.

I drink heavily salted bone broth when feeling cruddy. It's helped.

Feel free to add me if you want support from another newbie =)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend reading the launch pad. Also, go on YouTube and search Dr Jason Fung. He has great videos that you can watch and will explain everything you need to know. He has successfully helped cure people with T1 and T2 diabetes.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You may find you need to adjust the carb limit as you learn more and adjust, but you've got a great start (and it sounds like you've got a great doctor!)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    You may find you need to adjust the carb limit as you learn more and adjust, but you've got a great start (and it sounds like you've got a great doctor!)

Do you mean adjusting down? I'm wondering about that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others about the salt. 3000-5000mg of sodium per day can really help. You may be a bit fatigued as your body adjusts to relying on fats for fuel but that will go away soon (salt does help).

You may need to adjust up or down depending on how you handles carbs. I am another prediabetic who keeps my carbs as low as I can. Others can handle arbs much better than me.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You probably don't NEED ketosis, just keep carbs under 100 grams a day and you'll be fine. If you really want Ketosis, lower carbs to 40, and take Himalayan sea salt to raise sodium. Making your own capsules is best!