What motivates you to continue to IF?

Options
2»

Replies

• cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This weekend was the first time I fasted for 16 hours. I had earmarked weekends as "off" days. Yesterday I ended up way over what I would normally eat but still dropped .8 lbs.

Still haven't made it for a 36-48 hour fast, but I'm not complaining at this point.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just need to keep reminding myself that fasting for a short period will not hurt my gym performance.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-for-athletes-the-why-and-how
  • bluepanda512
    bluepanda512 Posts: 64 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Anyone currently doing IF? Iam looking for friends to support and motivate each other. :)
  • mamiaof3
    mamiaof3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love IF its worked brilliant for me few yrs ago & helped me lose nearly 30 lbs in 16wks & get to my ideal weight & BMI. I fell off wagon & slipped bk into high carb diet & put ut all bk on so now have startef bk on my 1200 daily cal goal with generally 18:6 but some days I push it to 20:4 when not too hungry. Im not a big daytime eater so much easier for me (most of time
  • cdebracy
    Options
    The 10+ lbs I've lost since I started IF after being stuck at a plateau for 6 months.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    For those that do IF 16:8, do you increase your calorie intake if you exercise?
  • cdebracy
    Options
    I will where I can. I try to leverage some of the extra calories by not eating them all. Some days it's not possible. :smile:
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in IF to try to further improve my insulin levels. About 5 years ago I was pre-diabetic and now I'm at a point where I'm doing okay and losing some weight. Currently my BMI is still a hefty 29, but I now think 25 is possible. I'm less interested in the calorie deficit angle.

So far I've done a couple 20 hour fasts and those worked well for me. I don't snack and just skip supper. I ran one time before having breakfast and the running was easy except I didn't feel like I could really push too hard. I don't know if that was mental or physical.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My mum is type 2 diabetic although not particularly overweight. We both carry our fat around our waists- I definitely want to reduce that and to reduce my chance of developing diabetes.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It seems very common for people to use IF to get a calorie deficit. I don't think a fast is really needed to do that, I'm much more interested with improvements in hormones. I really never gave it much thought but early this year I decide to lose some more weight and so I just cut deserts and snacks. I was shocked when I didn't have much hunger as hunger was always a problem for me. As I experimented I landed on cutting refined sugar from my diet was really helping me with not feeling so hungry. I tweaked further and now my daily added sugar is from about 5g to 20g. What really shocked me was when my pants started slipping down, in just a few months my waistline (across belly button) shrunk 8 cm. I did lose a few kg, but not enough to account for that much change. So I started learning more about hormones and that got me interested in IF. A few months ago I would have said IF was crazy.