Newbie help

Options
57jewels
57jewels Posts: 11 Member
Hi! My nickname is Jewels. I'm a 58 year old grandma to 3,mom to 4. Relatively healthy, but overweight at 17. Pounds to my 5' 6.5". And tired of being tired and chunky and sugar addicted. So I started reading. Dr. Lustig's. info, as well as. David Gillespie's duff have convinced me to get rid of the sugar and carbs that are killing me.
I went lower carbs In January (like less than 80)to try to get my sugar addicted body used to the idea.
Have been sugar free with carbs less than 25-40 per day since 2/1.
My question is - why do I feel crappy? I'm having problems with headaches and body aches, feel muscle weakness - especially my thighs. Nauseated off and on. I'm exercising in some form most days. Eating good high quality protein, flax seeds for fiber, fresh greens, a few strawberries here and there, lots of water. A few Adkins bars and dinners when I'm on the run. And yes, drink lots of water - usually 10- 12 glasses a day.
I'd also welcome some protein - fat-carb ratio suggestions.
Thanks! ☺

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sodium?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Keto flu. You need a TON of salt. Google Keto flu to get the skinny. Also, there is a static discussion thread at the top that had a lot of good info (including the Keto flu). 'Start here! The LCD Launch Pad'
    It is insane how much salt you need while in ketosis and drinking a lot of water. Potassium and magnesium are also important.
  • 57jewels
    Options
    Ok
  • 57jewels
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Are you getting enough sodium?

Not sure. I do heavily salt my food, but I don't take any supplements.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi Jewels! Electrolytes are a huge balancing act with this woe! When we burn fat we produce ketones, and those ketones are excreted via the urine (as well as some other places). The ketones will take sodium, magnesium, and potassium with them, leaving us feeling terrible with headaches, and muscle cramps! You need 3-5000 mg of sodium each day to prevent these negative symptoms. Keeping sodium up will usually keep the magnesium, and potassium from dropping.

I recommend you use the keto calculator to find the ratio of fat, protein...that works for you. It's actually ketocalculator.com

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    57jewels wrote: »
    Not sure. I do heavily salt my food, but I don't take any supplements.

This alone won't be enough - seriously.
    Karlottap wrote: »
    You need 3-5000 mg of sodium each day to prevent these negative symptoms.

I second this ^^^^. Personally, I find that my body requires (read demands) 5000mg of salt every single day or I get cramps in my calves and feet.

• 57jewels
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll need to add sodium to my diet!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I went through that too. I had a hard time believing that I needed that much salt! I eventually started drinking bouillon a few times per week and drinking close to a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water every morning. It made a big difference. :)

If you have been low on sodium for a while, you may be low in potassium and magnesium now too ( your body leeches out Mg and K to make up for the electrolyte imbalance). You may want to supplement those too.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    sodium is the key .....Today was the 1st time I have been over 5000 since starting these WOE back in Oct