IBS?

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
Anyone here have success or suggestions for paleo while dealing with IBS? Do you find it helps?

Replies

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat- I just started paleo hoping it will heal my ibs too :smile:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I have had ibs, but pretty much every person in this group would attest that their digestive system, from top to... bottom works much better. Some get away with 80/20, aome require a full 30 days clean.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My daughter started taking probiotics for her IBS and it helped tremendously. When she is home from school and eating with me, she notices an improvement as well.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Since I swim in Zero carb waters most of the time, IBS is pretty much non existent in those who avoid plant foods. I've never been diagnosed officially, but plants (not just grains) bother my digestive system badly. Pretty much all of them. I'm not totally off of plant foods at the moment, but they are maybe only 5% of my diet.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I triggered an attack with too much dairy. I've been super careful since. I think it's going to be coconut milk and cream from here on out.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No official diagnosis of ibs but years of digestive issues, here. I eat fermented foods (Saurkraut, kimchi, Braggs unpasteurized apple cider). I find it best if I can get my probiotics from whole foods rather than supplements - they do help my system a lot. I have avoided dairy and gluten for years .... more recently most grains. Moving to paleo was not a huge jump and I feel great.

Love coconut milk/oil
    can still eat butter
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ^^^ For me IBS was really all about gut problems and getting the right probiotics and prebiotic was the key
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have IBS - its triggered by grains, legumes and potatoes (stomach cramps and constipation and bloating). Paleo really helps. I have no issues with any vegetables- so that helps.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ^^^x-zactly
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's trial and error. Keeping track of how you eat and how much, can, over time, help to find what foods, or kinds of foods, may be triggering your issues or what you may need to eat more or less of.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    if you already gave up dairy and gluten and still having issues with digestion, look into glycine and glutamine. I take it on an empty stomach and now have no issues with digestion. If you have a leaky gut, probiotics will not go where they need to go. read as much as you can on leaky gut. I've just recently ended a 20 year battle with IBS and Colitus.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get lots of gelatin and/or collagen into your system. I was starting to get some IBS symptoms after a recent super stressful move where I allowed my eating to go totally haywire and everything seemed to be bothering me. I couldn't drink even small amounts of coffee and anything fiberous was giving me the runs. I started supplementing with collagen peptides, making my own gelatin gummy snacks, making homemade gelatin rich bone broths, and taking some collagen type II caps. I'm not super strict with the amounts or when I take them but I can tell it has really helped. Gelatin/collagen is very healing to the gut. I take the collagen powder in my drinks because it desolves rather than gels and it just makes getting more of the good stuff in easier. It also makes your skin, hair and nails strong and glowing in addition to so many other benefits!