Older students/grad students

Options
bluesy8899
bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
Hi folks! I'm very new to this site and looking forward to seeing all the great features. I'm a grad student on my 40's and wondered if there were any others out there. Working full time while attending school 3/4 time presents some challenges in positive eating and exercise. Any advice or support is appreciated!

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a grad student and I'm 33; my partner is 43 and just finished a 2-year college program and is headed to university this fall. It's definitely challenging to juggle work, school and health...but all three are priorities, so it has to be done, lol! Since a big part of losing weight and getting healthy boils down to what you're eating, planning meals and groceries for the week is a big help - so is batch cooking (for the freezer) and making sure you cook extras for leftovers for lunches/dinners. We always pack lunches for days when we're on campus; and for days when we work late, there's always something in the freezer that we can pull out and heat up with minimal effort :) Workouts happen in the morning...sometimes we have to get up really early to get them in, but we make the time! Finding workouts that are fun and fast (i.e., high-intensity, so efficient in terms of the calorie burn you get/hr) are helpful :)
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Grad student here as well. ^ Agree with the above. I pack my lunch and make sure that I have extra so I am not 'forced' to buy anything. I also cook more on the weekends and freeze it so that I can just take that to school during the week. When the term is in session, I also turned to a lot of cereal/granola bars, but tried to look for the 'healthier' ones such as those by Nature Valley. Low sugar/unsweetened cereals portioned out in baggies along with fruit that don't perish easily such as apples, bartlett pears, etc. Peanut butter on a slice of whole grain bread is a quick snack to make if you're in a hurry (either preparing it or in between classes/meetings, etc). Hope this helps.
  • ElanaBr
    ElanaBr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 working on my bachelors in nursing.. Do I still fit into the older student club? ;)
  • achecubed
    achecubed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and am earning my MS in math while teaching full time. I also have 2 children. Planning meals for a week on Friday/Saturday and cooking for the week on Sunday helps a lot. If you can handle having the same thing every day for lunch in a week, then this is a pretty easy way to go. It also cuts down on the need to buy all of those sodium-filled frozen dinners. Also, planning everything ahead of time allows me to stay focused on homework, projects, and reading rather than what I need to fix for dinner.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    27 and studying for the bar. Last test ever. Scariest test of my life.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    27 and studying for the bar. Last test ever. Scariest test of my life.

Ugh. I felt that way about my quals for my PhD. I was a basket case for months.
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 going into my final year of a bachelors in psychiatric nursing.. :smile: