Excercise

Options
Does anyone else exercise while doing IF? My cousin and I just started DDP yoga and I think I am really going to enjoy it. Anyone else ever try it? If so, how did it work out for you?

Replies

• abzbargs
    abzbargs Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of DDP Yoga before, but just watched it on youtube - it looks fun :-) I'm doing 118:6 most days (some 16:8) and I walk for 3 miles every morning. I'm a bit afraid of doing anything that gets my heart going too fast, but I haven't read anything about the pros and cons to be honest. Think others in the group could help you out there. This yoga looks more like a strength thing as apposed to a heart pumping thing? Looks fine to me, but as I said, I'm no expert.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The consensus is that exercising towards the end of your fast is beneficial for fat burning. Lots of people swear by it. I have tried it while fasting and had a couple of good workouts and a couple where I felt terrible. Try it, if you like it, go for it. If you feel terrible eat first. We experiment with ourselves and find the thing that supports our IF protocol. It's a journey that I'm excited to take.
  • Andtian2_4
    Andtian2_4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have read articles that say if you are doing 16:8, the best time to workout is at 14 hours into your fast. I will try and find them and post some links. What I do remember is that most of them recommend you eat a scoop of protein powder before starting, to help your muscles, especially if you going to be doing strenuous exercises.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8962935&fileId=S0007114512005582

"They also found that those who had exercised in a fasted state burned almost 20% more fat compared to those who had consumed breakfast before their workout. This means that performing exercise on an empty stomach provides the most desirable outcome for fat loss.

Javier Gonzalez, who is currently undertaking a PhD in Exercise and Metabolism, said: "In order to lose body fat we need to use more fat than we consume. Exercise increases the total amount of energy we expend and a greater proportion of this energy comes from existing fat if the exercise is performed after an overnight fast."

Basically, after you wake up your muscle and liver glycogen levels are depleted. I think I read somewhere that while sleeping your brain takes up to 30% of your glycogen stores. Fasted exercise burns off more of the glycogen and your body starts burning fat as fuel. That is why long distance runners, bicyclists, swimmers take in so many carbohydrates.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I exercise but I am not sure if my fast is even considered Intermittent fasting. I stop eating at 7:30 pm and then take a 56 calories pre-workout at 5:30 am and then breakfast at 10.30 am

I do two days of 5/3/1 program (strength) and 3 days of HIIT -started last week so can't comment on how much faster weight sheds.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I say you should skip the preworkout, they are mostly hype. None of the guys at my gym that keep up on nutrition trends take preworkouts anymore. You can either drink coffee or take a caffeine pill instead. That's what most preworkout are, a bunch of caffee, yogimbi (sp) and other stimulants.

A lot of people take in a post workout meal of fast acting proteins right after they workout. It's the most effective time to shuttle nutrients and protein into your muscles.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Also, remember the old adage, abs are made in the kitchen and not in the gym. Exercise is important for your overall health and maintaining your muscle on a calorie deficit but if you eat back the calories you just burned and end up with a surplus you are just going to get bigger.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Interesting article on elite athletes on low carb diets:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm
  • jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is that Diamond Dallas Page Yoga? My husband is a HUGE wrestling fan and had been talking about trying it. I've read that lots of people have had success with it and we're able to drop weight. I'd be interested to hear how you like it.

As an aside, I work out in a fasted state. I've read that it burns more fat and whatever, but I only do it because that's where the workouts fit in my schedule. Hahaha. I would do it even if there were no added benefits.
  • leighn62
    Options
    Working out fasted is supposed to be amazing for you. I can do it on the weekends but during the week it doesn't work out very well with my schedule. I always feel pretty virtuous when I do it. HaHa.
  • santran773
    santran773 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey man. I fast 16 hours and my eating window is from 4pm-12am. It's okay to exercise or workout. I strength train in the gym 3 days a week. Allowing my body parts to rest a full week. I've never felt so much stronger. I also go for a few mile walks per day.

It also doesn't matter what time you decide to exercise or workout. It all depends on how you feel. But for me, I prefer to workout 14 hours in my fast and be able to eat a post workout meal.

Just avoid high intensity exercises like jogging, or anything that involves you to increase your heart rate. You'll end up wasting a lot of energy and end up binge eating like most body builders.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, Jillian, it is Diamond Dallas Page. It is tough at times but I really like it. I love the flexibility that I have gotten back after many years of being morbidly obese. My husband did the workout with me the other day and was impressed at how it gets your heart rate up.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    An interesting thing is happening with elite sports.

https://iquitsugar.com/australian-cricket-team-eat-sugar/
  • leighn62
    Options
    Interesting dasher. More evidence that slowly professionals are learning about the benefits of HFLC. You are helping to get the information out to more people. I wish doctors would buy into it more often.
  • mrstanmicer
    mrstanmicer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I exercise but I am not sure if my fast is even considered Intermittent fasting. I stop eating at 7:30 pm and then take a 56 calories pre-workout at 5:30 am and then breakfast at 10.30 am

I do two days of 5/3/1 program (strength) and 3 days of HIIT -started last week so can't comment on how much faster weight sheds.

How's it going now?
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I'm in a similar boat, but not necessarily due to exercising. I'm diabetic and I'll sip on an Atkins shake in the am if I start getting really hungry to avoid having my BG levels rise. It's not perfect, but once I lose more weight that problem should resolve and I can do more of a true IF.
  • financelady12
    financelady12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am walking in the morning. I have a full 20 oz of water 8 oz black coffee and bcca. The bcca is supposed to protect your muscles by giving you calorie free protein. It's my 1st week I'll let u know how it goes.