Shin Splint advice

Options
So a little running history: I ran track in highschool 400M 4x400, 800M, 4x800. During the season I developed shin splints and ran through them. This was 1999-2001. In the last few years, whenever I start to run, after a few weeks my shins would start hurting again. Just recently I now get pain in a matter of days. Ive tried everything, went to the doc, went to Physical Therapy, changed shoes, rested, started doing the walk to run program. Nothing works! 2 years ago was the last time I could run and not have pain from Under Armour shoes. And I have no idea what style they were. Please help!

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Maybe go to a good running shoe store and have your gait analyzed? It may be a combination of shoes and gait style. I know when I started running 5-6 years ago (the first time around) I had horrible shin splints and runners knee for a while, but I was able to recover by, 1) resting! No running for a while, and 2) changing my gait. I started taking smaller strides and focusing on my feet landing. Making sure that I was striking the ground with my heel, landing softly and rolling my stride from heel to toes, heel to toes, smaller steps, heel to toes. I had been taking larger strides and SLAMMING my foot down hard which was killing my shins, putting too much stress on the legs and knees.

Good luck!
  • MidnaK
    MidnaK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went through this and I still am now. When it first developed I stopped running for almost 2 weeks to give myself a chance to recover. I bought new shoes and massaged my legs and stretched multiple times a day. I switched to spin class so I didn't lose any of the work I was doing and it's less impact on the legs. My shins still hurt after a good run and are so so tender to touch.. but stretching, massaging, and making sure I have a day or two of rest in between my runs helps me. Hope you start to feel better soon, that pain is no joke!
  • Maasju
    Maasju Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My son is a runner and he gets bad shin splints. 100, 200 4x100 and 400. We have tried a bunch of things. A coach recently told us to try New Balance and ditch his current running shoes and spikes. We have had trouble finding some to fit him so will likely have to order online (he's very young.) Good luck in finding a remedy! I will be watching. Can't stand seeing him in pain like that!