Any vegans/vegetarians here?

Options
rayn3z
rayn3z Posts: 19 Member
Hi, so I've been decreasing my carbs these days and on off doing keto. And now I'm easing into veganism as well. I am also working out with weights 3-4x/ week.. I just find it extremely hard to do a keto AND being a vegan at the same time; since I'm going to be eliminating almost two food groups, I know some vegetable based protein exists but not nearly as close to meats, chicken and fish...

I find myself eating more carbs and having weird cravings for sweets and chocolate these days that I didn't before. I've never really liked rice and or fries and other carbs that much, except I'm crazy about veggies...

any advice or any help from fellow LCHF vegans, or others, on how to accomplish this is greatly appreciated it. I'm open to anything that will help me ... Thanks !

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do not know of any way to be vegan and keto unless half of your calories are from coconut oil and avocados. As for veggie protein not too high in carbs, tofu is probably the best.

So all I can think of is veggie tofu curry, that would be vegan LCHF (if you added enough coconut oil) but, for me, still too high in carbs to be keto. Maybe it works for you.

No other suggestions, sorry. I've tried to make keto versions of my old favourites (I was a vegetarian) and they're all way too high in carbs for me.

Best of luck and please post your findings.

::flowerforyou::
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are several who are at least vegetarian or pescatarian in here. The archives should have a few threads with ideas.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    rayn3z wrote: »
    Hi, so I've been decreasing my carbs these days and on off doing keto. And now I'm easing into veganism as well. I am also working out with weights 3-4x/ week.. I just find it extremely hard to do a keto AND being a vegan at the same time; since I'm going to be eliminating almost two food groups, I know some vegetable based protein exists but not nearly as close to meats, chicken and fish...

I find myself eating more carbs and having weird cravings for sweets and chocolate these days that I didn't before. I've never really liked rice and or fries and other carbs that much, except I'm crazy about veggies...

any advice or any help from fellow LCHF vegans, or others, on how to accomplish this is greatly appreciated it. I'm open to anything that will help me ... Thanks !

In the meantime, while you wait for the peeps to come round, check out Reddit. They have a vegan keto subreddit. You might find some ideas or links to vegan keto recipes there.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I was grocery shopping with my sister today, she's vegetarian but but low carb. She was buying some products I hadn't seen before and she said they are really good. I looked at the label and they seemed rather low in carbs in my opinion. I'm not sure if they work in your plan but they looked pretty good http://beyondmeat.com/products
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who eats meat!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @wanderinjack - you mean you're a flexitarian, lol.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

(Mod hat)

Careful you two. We respect people's dietary choices as long as they're low carb, even if we don't agree with them. These comments can easily be seen as a personal attack and aren't productive to the purpose of the thread.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My primary diet is vegetables. I eat a pound of veggies each meal, therefore I consider myself a vegetarian. I eat less than 100g of carbs a day, about 4oz of meat at each meal. No grain fruit or sugar.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »

(Mod hat)

Careful you two. We respect people's dietary choices as long as they're low carb, even if we don't agree with them. These comments can easily be seen as a personal attack and aren't productive to the purpose of the thread.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way... a friend of mine calls himself a flexitarian because some days he is totally vegetarian, and other days he chooses to use meat, fish or eggs. I just thought it was a very apt description for a WOE. o:)

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    rayn3z-- since I'm going to be eliminating almost two food groups, I know some vegetable based protein exists but not nearly as close to meats, chicken and fish...

Please try Hemp Seed protein..it has all the 8 essential amino acids of meat as an exact replacement-- cheaper than organic meat, and is non GMO, imported from Canada., and you can use it in so many ways. 1/3 c of hulled seeds provides all the daily potassium/phosphorous, and can be prepared in dozens of ways, or more. I follow a veggie LC diet because of kidney disease, so for me a non-meat, occasional egg,and very limited cheese menu means I have to turn to hemp seed, or pumpkin seed. MOST seeds will be a good replacement..but hemp seed is best to replace meat from my experience.

I buy "Just Hemp" brand..and add them to salad, soup, toasted, eat them raw as a snack and also grind up as flour to use in LC bread recipes/in pizza crust. because I am also so limited and DONT want to consume so much butter or coconut oil then this works for me.

I've tried Vegan cheese and dont like it, too many carbs, and so I combine real cheese with Vegan. Good luck!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    ^^^^ I like hemp seeds too, great toasted in a salad.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is an interview of a keto vegan on youtube. If you put that in the search box, you should be able to find it. The things she descibed she was eating did not sound good to eat to me.

I also use hemp protein powder mixed in bread recipes. I have the high protein version of Nutiva brand. It tastes like dirt, but not so bad mixed into fat bombs and bread.