I admit I didn't want to let go

Options
Byronic_Ryu
Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
I heard pretty good things about a low carb diet but I admit, I was too dependent of wheat stuff because I used it to combat the fatigue symptoms I experience from my fibromyalgia and other health issues. My doctor put me on a diet to help with my liver and I thought I would be able to go back to all the food I was prohibited to eat those 21 days. Well, I found out that yes, I can have beans and nuts, but he wants me to not consume wheat and any dairy except eggs, ghee, and butter. It is a difficult transition to go gluten free but I have noticed that I don't itch as much as I used to (maybe I am allergic to wheat or dairy?) and I have lost some weight. I have issues with my intestines and stomach so I know this will be better in the long run but I admit I will miss some cheesy Italian food. My sleep quality has also improved a little bit so I think it will be worth it. I am hoping I will get my pain levels to come down and have more an increase in energy levels.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! There are many here who have found relief from chronic pain after going low carb. There is still so much you can eat, once thy find your groove I don't think you'll feel like you're missing anything.

Read through the launch pad, there's tons of info there. Also there's a new low carb recipe group you may want to join for some ideas.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Giving up bread was hard for me, too, but I found that after I did so for a month or so, I didn't really want to go back to it, especially not regularly. I've slipped over the years, and every time I have, I've paid for it in one way or another. Generally speaking, I've come to realize that it's just not worth it.

Pro tip: real Italian food isn't as noodle heavy as you think, and is quite a bit better than most Americanized Italian food. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I used to be a bagel and pizza addict. I think most of us are former addicts here.

I can honestly say I don't miss 'em a bit. My family ordered pizza the other night, and my only reaction was concern for their health. It'll probably take a doctor's order for them to give the stuff up.

Better sleep, better skin, better energy, and a better bathroom experience. I wasn't even looking for improvement in any of those areas, so I was kind of blown away. I finally understand what "normal" is supposed to feel like. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Resistance to this woe in the beginning is understandable. We all feel like we are having to give up foods we love, but here's the question, "Do they love you back?". My answer to that was no! Once I saw the full benefits of this woe (especially the decreased fibromyalgia pain!) I haven't missed them! Best of luck! So great to see you here!! :smiley:
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I never cared all that much for bread and other wheat products unless it was some kind of exceptionally wonderful bread. (The kind you really have to look for in the U.S., The Land of Wonder Bread.) Sandwich bread and pizza crusts were more delivery mechanisms than treats. When I went LC, I got all the benefits I expected: weight loss, better blood pressure and so on. What I didn't expect was a gigantic improvement in my ongoing Crohn's Disease symptoms. Apparently you can be sensitive to grains without exhibiting the usual celiac disease symptoms.

I told my gastroenterologist this on my last visit and he reacted pretty much the way he would if I'd reported using a magic wand and pixie dust. "Well, that's good if it works for you, but....."
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The idea of giving up bread and rice was just infuriating to me at first. At least three meals a week were rice based. Often, it was more than two. I developed an even greater affinity to rice and beans when I was a vegetarian than when I was growing up and ate rice and chicken weekly. Rice and beans had been my "go to" base for many meals. I then surrounded it with vegetables and other stuff. Even when I went back to meat, the rice stayed around. I would just swap the beans out for meat. I bought rice in 25 pound bags. I knew it would keep for the few months it would take me to get through it.

I bought tons of flour as well. I made my own bread and bagels. I made my own crusts for pies. I made a lot of it. It was cheap, and I was under the impression that it was healthier because I wasn't buying processed junk foods.

To be honest, I took some time to get it all out of my diet. First, I cut out the bread and flour. I also allowed myself only about 100 grams of rice a week. Then I cut that as well. My sister was happy, she got a huge bag of rice and a variety of beans.

Now, I don't even miss either of them. I found that bread added very little to the meal. It usually just took attention away from the better parts of it (like the cheese and burger). Rice was little more than a filler. It allowed me to stretch a small amount of meat into a large portion of food. And both of them caused stomach issues and kept me fat. I am much better off now.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @mandycat223 thank you for sharing, I read your post to my boyfriend, he had crohns as well and suffers so much. He said that he can't cut it carbs because fat guess right through him, but fat only goes right through him when he has carbs with it. When others share their experiences I think it helps him to see that it might be something to help with his symptoms.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group !

Absolutely surprising for us in my household, was how good we all felt when giving up wheat and most dairy. One daughter's skin rash and diarrhea has disappeared and the other's breathing improved so much that she no longer needs her inhaler for asthma.

I still buy rice and rice pasta for one daughter, but my other daughter and I try to stay completely grain free. There are many types of bread type substitutes made with nut meal, that you can make in place of bread or pasta. We used to rely on these in the beginning, and they can make you feel less deprived, but there are also so many alternatives to eat, that I find that I don;t even desire a carby type option anymore.

We no longer drink milk and have switched to high fat dairy like heavy whipping cream, butter and some cheese, finding less issues with these. However, I feel best when I avoid the cheese and cream, and stick to butter.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options