Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    macchiatto wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Well, it is a kind of odd request for them. Typically, ground beef isn't sold in anything more fatty than 80/20 and the common mindset is that the leaner the meat the higher the quality.

Still it would be awesome to go in there in a couple of months and ask him the same thing to see if her recognizes you.

Curious; where do you live? I commonly find ground beef that's 73/27 or sometimes 75/25, along with the leaner versions, where I live (SE US).

Hmm... I live in NE US, but used to live down south, but never saw anything less than 80/20. I guess I just never looked or asked and just assumed. Godd to know. OK, forget what I said.

FWIW, I have issues finding anything less than 80/20, too. I'm in the Great Lakes area.

Another thing you could do is add bacon grease or lard to your hamburger, especially when making burgers, to up that fat content, if you can't find anything fattier. :)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I picked up some 73/27 @ Walmart last week to add to my elk chili, pleasantly surprised to find it.

putting a chunky pat of butter in the center of your burger before grilling is a super tasty way to up your fat as well.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    we have 73/27 here too, my local grocery has its own butcher though so they tend to have more available then a chain grocery might. I tend to buy the leaner beef, 90/10 if its on sale. I know we want the fat, but the stuff I cook with ground beef the fat is drained off so I get more meat in the leaner packs because I'm not draining off half of it in the fat. I then add fat back for myself. (my bf has crohns and had his terminal ileum removed with a foot of intestine, too much just destroys him for the night)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I prefer 93/7, but then I throw a large amount of butter or coconut oil in the pan... haha
  • heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    What kind of a stupid grocery store is that anyhow??? The meat manager should be able to custom grind for you at no extra charge. They do at all the grocery stores here... Just choose your cuts and ask them to add lard or tallow or even bacon to the grind. Perhaps you need to find a proper butcher shop where they will appreciate your business, lol.

Great idea! I will try that. There is a real butcher in my town just a little further away and, of course (justifiably), more expensive.

I also loved everyone else's idea of purchasing lean and then adding the fat back in. Hahaa total lchf paradigm shift!

PS I've only been doing this for 9 days and a shirt I wear that was getting snug around the mid-section is now roomy! In 9 days! I'm trippin!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    PS I've only been doing this for 9 days and a shirt I wear that was getting snug around the mid-section is now roomy! In 9 days! I'm trippin!

Congrats! Love it when that happens.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure! You'll be glad you did!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    reblazed wrote: »

Congrats! Love it when that happens.

Yes! Love that! :)
    And I agree with @Karlottap too; I love having measurements to compare. On previous WOE's I really never had a change in measurements when the scale wasn't moving. But recently I have just been bouncing up and down in a small range for several weeks, yet I discovered I've lost a full inch in my hips and 1/2" from each thigh and my waist during that time!
  • heyjude2014j
    Options
    @macchiatto - I took my measurements in October...I didnt want want to do it right before my restart date (2/2) because i dont think i could handle it after Christmas and my vacation. So I'll use the October ones as my base and do my measurements every 2 weeks (so this Sunday coming up). I'm sure I'll be pleased. o:)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good plan!
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Same story with yogurt! I had to ask where the full fat was in a rack with probably 80 products he was hard pressed to find one that was full fat.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I flirted with the idea of fattier burger meat,but the 80/20 ratio has been such a winner for me and I've gotten fantastic results with it. I've learned that a 1/4 lb 80/20 burger for lunch and a lighter dinner usually helps me overcome a stall.
  • heyjude2014j
    Options
    clord72 wrote: »
    Same story with yogurt! I had to ask where the full fat was in a rack with probably 80 products he was hard pressed to find one that was full fat.

@clord72 I always use the Greek yogurt fire in full fat it's so awesome because it tastes like sour cream but I can add vanilla to it or anything to it to change the flavor if I want to.

@CMYKRGB Thanks for the tip! Stalls suck.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You know what's really good? Ground hamburger with pork meat mixed in. It adds fat and a ton of flavor!! I always buy 80/20 from the butcher and mix it in with either ground pork or low carb italian sausage meat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    You know what's really good? Ground hamburger with pork meat mixed in. It adds fat and a ton of flavor!! I always buy 80/20 from the butcher and mix it in with either ground pork or low carb italian sausage meat.

I pour bacon drippings into my hamburger sometimes. Yummy.

... the idea of that would have horrified me a couple of years ago. LOL
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I used to mix lean burger with turkey to cut the fat! Now I mix in ground sausage to the 80/20 burger meat, and it increases the fat! :smile: Plus, it tastes so much better now! In fact, I believe I am a better cook with this woe too! :smiley: I had really been eating some awful foods (frozen dinners, boxed meals you add meat to of all types, low fat too, yuck!)before, and didn't realise how good food can taste!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    clord72 wrote: »

Oh man, I swear they're systematically cutting out all the full fat stuff and it's driving me batty. Ricotta cheese? One, maybe two whole milk ones, all the rest? Part skim. Yogurt? Might be able to find a whole milk one. Out of (like you said) 80 varieties, I'm lucky to ever find one or two that aren't low or no fat. Regular cheeses are heading in that direction, too. Full fat ones are dropping off in favor of low fat and fat free crap. :(

I guess it's one way for me to limit my dairy intake...
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Google Fage. It has a full fat no sugar added yogurt. Try the "store finder". I found it that way
  • heyjude2014j
    Options
    Fage is the best!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    10% is the fattiest mince I can find in my regular grocery stores. I often order my groceries for delivery and they've subbed my full fat products for low fat so many times! Drives me nuts.