Love Your Health: Feb Challenge-Week 2 (2/8-2/14)

Options

Replies

• marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    marise51 wrote: »
    If I want to start a low carb diet, what are the best links to check out. Not sure a ketosis means. Greenhorn here but I have to bust out of this weight gain that won't come off.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Try that link.
    Read the Low Carber's Guide first. This is the quick start guide.

Then read about Net Carbs, Skinny on Fat, the Scale is a Lying LiarPants, and then other topics. Recipe links are found if you scroll to the bottom of that thread.

Thank you :)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @frikfourie Welcome HOME! HAHA. Wow. 77 pounds in approx. 10 mos. You ROCK!
    I'm 9 mos. into this and lost 40 pounds. This WOE is truly amazing. I can say I've lost it mostly due to a change in diet choice and not exercise. I too have felt this is pretty easy when compared to my other diets. Love to read more of your progress in the coming months.

2.11.16 Checking In
    SW 187
    CW: 146.8 -
    1st GW: 142.5 (on 3.1.2016) Probably won't make it. Maybe 145..
    Carbs- Great.
    Exercise - No, but did a lot of walking just getting ready for vacation in 2 days!!
    Calories - Great.

I'm scheduled to take the Anthem of the Seas cruise on Saturday. Hope the ship is ship-shape by then. So far I've heard it's a go! My goal 10 months ago was to be 140 for the cruise. Gotta say, I came real close. (pats herself on the back)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    2/10 summary:

1. Minimum 64 ounces of water per day. Check.
    2. Under 50g carbs per day. No. 75g total, 51g net.
    3. 8,000 steps at least 5 days a week. I did it!!!

SW: 236
    2/1: 176.4
    2/2: 174.6
    2/3: 172
    2/4: 170.6
    2/5: 172.2
    2/6: 172.2
    2/7: 174.2
    2/8: 176.2
    2/9: 176.4
    2/10: 176.4 again (this is very very not good!)
    2/11: 176.4 again (very very very not good!)
    3/1 Goal: 170
  • frikfourie
    frikfourie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I am weighing tomorrow morning, and hopefully will move in the right direction and be a significant improvement, especially after 4 months of nothing!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been making fish a few times this week due to lent. (I don't follow the "no meat" rules but hubs does). My calories have been super low so I've been trying to make up calories with fat bombs and lc hot chocolate.
    Meh- the scale never changes...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've been making fish a few times this week due to lent. (I don't follow the "no meat" rules but hubs does). My calories have been super low so I've been trying to make up calories with fat bombs and lc hot chocolate.
    Meh- the scale never changes...

Cream sauce for the fish! :) I love hollandaise on salmon, and butter sauces on white fish.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @frikfourie welcome! Glad LCHF is working well for you! :) I'm only 3 months in but happy with it, too!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Key stuff right here.
    And don't sweat the ramble. Accountability and support is what this whole group is for.
    Fall down 7 times? Get up 8. Right away. Don't lay in the mud, sniffling while the wagon wheels run you over.
    You've done that. Good for you!
    Now this is starting to look like a cliche list, but:
    We didn't get overweight/unhealthy by feasting occasionally or "feasting on feast-days or holidays," we did it by turning every day into a feast day.
    You are doing ok. You're pulling yourself up and dusting yourself off. That's the right attitude.

I really needed to see this today--thank you!!! Made a big-*kitten* salad for lunch today and I'm back on track. I feel great.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    FEB 11

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 219.8 (Feb 1)
    CW: 215.4
    GW for February: 215
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 30: yes
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Feb 11
    SW: 153.4
    CW: 131.6 lbs
    Calories: 2 under ;)
    Carbs: 27gm net
    Exercise: 30-min walk
    Sleep: not enough
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Skipped dinner last night, as predicted, after a fathead pizza binge at lunch. Had a small breakfast this morning. Hubs and I are having our Valentine's date today for lunch (do not want to deal with crowds for dinner). Then haircuts and a bit of mall walking, then tucking in for the rest of the weekend because OMGDANGCOLD.

Legs are still killing me from Wednesday's squats. This afternoon will be back, triceps, and biceps. Warm up and cool down on the elliptical.

The menu for tonight is leftover taco/crack slaw, because I made a LOT of it the other night and my husband is finally willing to try it. He asked me some questions about nutrition (concern over too much cheese in our diet, etc) last night, which is HUGE for him. I told him the good feelings he had yesterday were thanks to ketones, and explained how he can be in a fat-burning state but not be ketogenic, and that the mood lifting he felt yesterday is a benefit of being in ketosis. Hopefully that will encourage him to drop his carb levels lower.

Oh! Speaking of, he fasted all day yesterday until he had a Starbucks sandwich (he doesn't avoid grains like I do) on the way to the movie theater (don't take your kids to see Deadpool, srs). We each drank our coffee in place of movie snacks. Normally going to the theater would have made him as stressed as a hummingbird but he actually felt optimistic about going out. He had a quick minute of panic in the theater as people still had their phones out and were switching seats and coming in late during the previews but that passed and he thoroughly enjoyed the movie and wants to see it again.

Then back at home we each had a bit of spiced rum that a friend picked up for us in Ipswich (we are Lovecraft dorks) and that was it! Oh, I had a colby jack cheesestick, too. But it didn't really even occur to me to wonder if I should eat a meal late, or make more coffee or anything.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1. Minimize restaurant trips and food waste.
    2. In bed by 10:30 pm 5 days a week.
    3. Drop 3-5 lb this month.
    5. Re-double my new employment finding efforts. Send out at least one resume by Saturday and two over the weekend.

1. Doing good! No Starbucks, no restaurants, had to go to Publix yesterday because SO forgot to get fish (he wants to do the Lent thing, and I like fish anyway).
    2. Got to bed at 10. Fell asleep by 11. Woke up at 6, well-rested, bright-eyed and bushy tailed.
    3. Weigh-in on Monday. I am feeling fat and self-conscious all day today, wearing some of my old clothing that hangs on me, which makes me feel frumpy. Monday I'll make sure to wear some new pants to remind myself of how far I came.
    4. Re-writing my resume, yet again. Hope to have it completed on Saturday night, so people could look over it for me.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    LAST CHECK-IN FOR A WEEK 2.12.16 - 2.21.16
    SW 187
    CW: 146.0 -
    1st GW: 142.5 (on 3.1.2016)
    Carbs- Great.
    Exercise - No.
    Calories - Great.

Sailing tomorrow on the Anthem of the Seas cruise. Should be interesting. Same ship and same scheduled trip as on the news. Egads! Hopefully, there won't be any more storms. I'm all packed, but packed way too much stuff. I will probably go through it again tonight and see what I can do without.
    Problem is going to be the weather, had to tell how warm/cold it's going to be.
    8 days - Packed 1 cardigan, 1 sweatshirt, 1 sweat pant, pjs, 6 shirts/blouses, 3 long pants, 1 shorts, 3 dresses, 2 bathing suits and I can't make up my mind what shoes to bring. So far, I've packed: sneakers, water shoes, high healed dressy sandals, low healed sandals, comfy closed toed walking shoes, dressy pumps. Arrgg. Going crazy!

I didn't purchase the WiFi package, and heard roaming charges to Bermuda so I won't be back here for 9 days. Will lose my consistent days logged in record. :'( Planning on staying on LCHF and losing weight with all the walking and exercise. I won't be drinking that much, so I don't think there will be any food issues. I don't want to undo all the great work getting me to this point. Bon Voyage peeps.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Bon Voyage peeps.

Have fun!!

I'll be away from the board for a few days too, and lose my logging streak as well. I'll be at a butchering bee for few days and visiting family. We'll be bringing home half of a cow. Woo hoo!
  • reblazed
    Options
    FEB 12

CW: 213.8
  • frikfourie
    frikfourie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!

• macchiatto
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FEB 12 (I was dealing with awful, awful abdominal pain last night so I'm late in updating! Hoping my stomach gets back to normal soon. It's been hard to figure out what to eat. Keto egg drop soup last night--my go-to sick food--was a mistake.)

SW: 153.4
    CW: 130.8
    New GW: 128 or something like that. ;)

Cals: Just under 1100 (b/c of the pain. I just re-started my MS med after being off of it for 4 days due to insurance problems and apparently 4 days was enough that I have lost the tolerance it took me several months to develop when I first started this med two years ago. So frustrating.)
    Carbs: 16 net
    Exercise: Just a 10-min walk.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hope you readjust to the medication fast! Sorry you've been having pain! Broth is my only suggestion with regards to what to eat right now. I haven't been sick enough to need to adjust my foods, so I don't really have any ideas for you! Just wanted to pass along some well wishes!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks so much, @Karlottap!
    Today I also ate under cals.
    I had a bit more carbs/lower fat (still LCHF though but compared to my usual macros) trying to find stuff that wouldn't bother me. Think it ended up being 40 net carbs.
    I did exercise today, too; 30 min aerobics.
    Went to bed at 8:00 last night b/c of the pain so at least I was good with my sleep goal!
  • reblazed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @macchiatto I feel so badly for you. It's a shame that red tape with an insurance company has been able to affect your health. Hopefully your tolerance will reassert itself quickly. We're all wishing you well.

FEB 13

CW: 214.2