thanks!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Low carb donuts

!

Who'd'a ever thunk it?

haha lol, I made some apple cider cinnamon ones last year that @JessicaLCHF shared, they turned out really good
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Low carb donuts

!

Who'd'a ever thunk it?

haha lol, I made some apple cider cinnamon ones last year that @JessicaLCHF shared, they turned out really good

Were they REALLY, TRULY low carb? How did you get a good apple/cinammon flavor?

(This is making me paticularly rabid. I was at a party this weekend where someone brought a fresh-baked, apple-cinammon pie. After ogling the artwork for 30+ minutes, I brazenly walked over and swiped about 1/8 of a teaspoon of filling. Mmmmmm..... Thanks to my biblical resistance to temptation, that trace amount was plenty enough; I had no desire whatsoever to sit down and eat the whole damn thing....... )
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I used cinnamon and sparkling apple cider you don't use a lot of the cider so it is pretty low per donut. but I wonder if they have apple cinnamon extract that could be used too. I'll try to find the nutrition info for it.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2016
    Options

Woo hoo! Leap Day Home Run!

FYI, "Bickford flavorings are suspended in either a water-soluble or oil-soluble base. Because our flavorings do not contain any added alcohol, they impart great flavor and do not evaporate when exposed to heat. This allows the flavor to taste better, smell better, and not "bake-out," as a traditional alcohol-based extract. Water-soluble flavors are ideal for baking and to flavor frosting."

Looks promising.

Thanks - much appreciated!

PS. Here's the recipe.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    yep that's the recipe, so that will even lower the carbs more with no sparkling cider, just remember to add liquid to make up for not using the cider to it or it'll be too dry
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I honestly have to say I don't think I'd indulge in a treat with more carbs than fat....that's a very very dangerous path for me!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I honestly have to say I don't think I'd indulge in a treat with more carbs than fat....that's a very very dangerous path for me!

Carbs - fiber - calories from cider should = fewer carb calories or grams than fat.

Seems like an odd rule of thumb. I would think net carb count would be most important; you can always cure an imbalance by adding butter......
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm still working through a miscellaneous assortment of flavoring agents and extracts. But when those are gone I'm going to order from olivenation.com. They have extracts of things I didn't know could be extracted!! Red velvet cake, orange cream, salted caramel -- all sugar free.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'm still working through a miscellaneous assortment of flavoring agents and extracts. But when those are gone I'm going to order from olivenation.com. They have extracts of things I didn't know could be extracted!! Red velvet cake, orange cream, salted caramel -- all sugar free.

Thanks for the tip - looks like a lot of good stuff at Olive Nation, plus weekly & daily specials.

Have you already had a chance to try any of their products?
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip - looks like a lot of good stuff at Olive Nation, plus weekly & daily specials.

I haven't ordered from them yet but the owner of the local business where I get all my Walden Farms items recommended them for both their products and their customer service. I'll order just a few to start with. Red velvet cake smoothies, here I come.

• RalfLott
    Options

I haven't ordered from them yet but the owner of the local business where I get all my Walden Farms items recommended them for both their products and their customer service. I'll order just a few to start with. Red velvet cake smoothies, here I come.

Yum!

Might you be persuaded to post your thoughts after your first RVC Smoothie?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    oh wow those do look good, might have to order some myself. there are so many options all of a sudden its so hard to decide
  • RalfLott
    Options
    oh wow those do look good, might have to order some myself. there are so many options all of a sudden its so hard to decide

Perhaps you could try them all and report back! (Maybe offer to do a free ebook with the results.....?)
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Perhaps you could try them all and report back! (Maybe offer to do a free ebook with the results.....?)

haha lol, maybe, I was just looking at ordering some, probably by the end of the week once I decide what flavors I want
  • RalfLott
    Options
    haha lol, maybe, I was just looking at ordering some, probably by the end of the week once I decide what flavors I want

Let us know how you like them!