Pancake day / shrove Tuesday

Options
Just wondering how other low carbers are managing with tomorrow's tradition of pancakes. Before there was nothing I loved more than pancakes/crepes/pikelets/blinis, whatever type you like.

As this is my first year with this WOE I don't know is I should try to make a low carb version or just abstain totally.

Any advice or opinions welcome

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Try a low carb one for fun. Low carb can be done using almond milk, finely ground almond flour, even toss in some chia seeds with the eggs plus a bit of baking powder works well. Can also use finely shredded coconut instead of almond flour. Various recipes online. Worth trying. Hope you find one you enjoy n have a great day. Cheese is another addition if you want to ho savory. Fun!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    We like this recipe for Fluffy Almond Meal Pancakes but I usually do it with regular water (the one time I tried it with sparkling they came out flatter than usual, go figure),

Or I might try these Perfectly Puffy Pancakes for something new,

Or we will just go with Swedish Hotcakes that we've adapted to be L/C (they're just crepes but Gramma learned the recipe from a Swedish chef so there ya go)
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    These are super simple & low carb & are a great substitute for crepes. You basically just blend softened cream cheese & eggs together in a blender. I even omitted the cinnamon & artificial sweetener. They come out thin & crepe-like. I wrapped bacon in mine & just put the tiniest little thin line of real maple syrup on them (like less than 1/8 of a teaspoon of maple syrup total). And they were AMAZING. I'm debating making a batch for dinner one night this week. lol There are also sugar free syrup options too (I just can't do most of the artificial sweeteners).

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I've always hated pancakes, so Pancake Day isnt a problem for me. The Easter period in general though has always been a big chocolate time for me because you can't get creme eggs and mini eggs year round, so naturally I've felt the need to eat as many as I can when they're available :wink: This will be the first year I've had no Christmas or Easter candy at all, well 2015 for Christmas lol.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Pancakes (the sweet syrup was never my fav anyway) haven't ever been a problem food for me. So, I'm sure the day will pass without celebration like many of the other "days" throughout the year. Happy Pancake Day though :smiley: !
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipe ideas. I think I'll be trying then out tomorrow.
    Fortunately I've always hated pancakes, so Pancake Day isnt a problem for me. The Easter period in general though has always been a big chocolate time for me because you can't get creme eggs and mini eggs year round, so naturally I've felt the need to eat as many as I can when they're available :wink: This will be the first year I've had no Christmas or Easter candy at all, well 2015 for Christmas lol.

Im always at my most tempted with warn doughy things. I can easily resist a lot now but I stil have to struggle when I'm around toast, Crumpets and pizza.

I've already given several not so subtle hints to my husband about a 'green and blacks' dark mint chocolate egg for easter. I'd have to be good and portion control it though. X
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oooh, that sounds like a good chocolate egg! Definitely can't let one of those in my house :smile:
    Warm doughy stuff gets me too. I hate going into a grocery store when the oven is going in the bakery, it kills me.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I will make almond or coconut flour pancakes with lots of bacon. I have a small bottle of bacon maple syrup. I would rather have a tiny bit of real sugar than have fake sugar sweetened syrup. We always have pancakes for pancake day. I will sometimes do veggie pancakes too, but not this year. I have some leftover pulled pork too, that would be good with a plain pancake as filling.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try the cream cheese pancakes tomorrow, and make regular for the family. Mmm. :) Brinner tomorrow night!